Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band Statistics & Sleep Apnea

When I went for an unfill last week, I noticed my doctor had new table ad things (provided by the makers), it looks like he must go with Realize band now.. but they had information on statistics, comparing Band vs. RnY.

On most statistics, RnY cured things like Diabetes, and heartburn, statistically better than the band.. but the ONE thing the band, statistically cured more than RnY was sleep Apnea.

I don't have sleep apnea, so no personal concerns with this, but I was curious why that would be. Anyone have any ideas on that?

I wondered if it had to do with the placement of a band down there, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but it's all I could come up with..

You lose weight with RnY & the band, so I figure most statistics are in RnY's favor, because it's the rapid weightloss thus resulting in less diabetes, heart burn, blah blah.. but what makes the band better with sleep apnea? :)

When I went to my seminar, the doctor touched upon this and said that altough it is still not certain, it appears the gastric bypass could almost instantly cure diabetes due to the rerouting of the intestines and where certain chemicals are made in the intestines. I am no doctor and did not really pay much attention to this as I dont have diabetes and wont be doing bypass. But again, it had to do with certain chemicals or hormones that are genereated in certain areas of your intestines, and by rerouting them it does something for diabetes. My doctor even mentioned cases where people enter the hospital on diabetes medication and leave off of it. Definately something worht looking into for those woth diabetes. Hope my half-ass, so not scientific answer helps.

Well, I don't really question the diabetes or anything, my curiosity is in the sleep apnea..

A lot of doctors say that as you loose the weight the sleepapena starts to go away as well. My pressure was set at a 12-13 and now down to a 4 and will be getting another sleep study this month since it has been 16 months since the last one and will see how well I am doing. I will keep everyone posted as to the results. I also have been using the dental device more than the cpap machine.

Chris

I think I must have said my question wrong..

I understand weightloss= less diabetes, less sleep apnea, less co-morbities.

But statistically, RnY causes just about everything to be better in better statistics (I don't remember if it was saying over a period of time, or overall).

But in Sleep Apnea alone, Banding cured it better.

So I wonder why sleep apnea isn't cured better by RnY, since everything else is.

Laura, I think it may be that they have studies the LAP band and sleep apnea more. Just a guess. And maybe, because patients that have RNY tend to be heavier to start with than band patients so even after they loose weight they are still very over weight on average so the asleep apnea would still be present. Just my guess. cyndi

So I wonder why sleep apnea isn't cured better by RnY, since everything else is.

Actually, the percentage of sleep apnea that will be cured, or even greatly reduced with weight loss is minimal. Most sleep apnea is genetic, that is to say, depends on the shape and size of the airway your parents gave ya.

As to why the band would be better than the RnY.....I have no idea. It might be one of those weird tertiary reasons, like with the dental plaque / heart disease study.

I have a CPAP machine and I'm now at -100 lbs mark and I will go in for a re-evaluation at the sleep center probably some time in this year as I keep losing weight to see if they want to leave the setting where it has been. I am thinking that I personally have lost alot of weight in the Neck and upper chest area so there is no longer the pressure on my airway and diaphragm like it was when I was heavier. I am even starting to see my collar bones under the skin and have that little dimple or depression area in the middle of my neck and that was all more bloated looking pre-surgery. For now, I keep using my CPAP because I'm used to it and I don't want to go through the hassle of another sleep study right now when I am okay continuing to use it.

I can attest for the sleep apnea issue; but keep in mind this is just me. I was on CPAP on a regular basis from December 2006. I had lap band surgery in March 2007 and with my weight loss, I did notice some improvement in my apnea to the point where I may need my machine presently twice a week, if that.

Glad to see that everyone is doing well in regards to CPAP. Special K have you talked to them about adjusting the setting since you have been banded? One of the things I found was that setting was to high for me and need to be adjusted. I talked to the doctor about it and with the readings from my card we were able to take it down to the lowest setting. One year after being banded I had another sleep study done and I was well below the numbers for action. The doctor said I did not need to use it unless I need to and the same with the herbest retainer. I still use it everyonce in a while as it seems to help/refresh things. Also I used to live in Columbus and went to school at CTI.

Chris

This is an interesting topic to me because I was wondering if I'd be able to "get off" my CPAP once I've lost the weight. I truly think my apnea is weight related, so I'm hoping I will be able to get off the machine. That said, I'm so used to it now, I'm wondering if I'll be able to sleep without it!

Once I lose a lot more weight, I'm planning on having another sleep study to see what happened with the apnea.

that sounds like a smart idea. It is suggested that every 40-50 pounds lost will result in a change it pressure needed on the cpap machine. many of the machines have smart cards in them that can be downloaded by your doctor or supplier to see how much pressure is being used to keep the air flowing while you sleep so at least you need to have that done if not a completely new study. cyndir