Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sept. Samurai Surgery Check-in

Hello My Friends!

I just wanted to check in with you all! I can't believe that my surgery day is over and done with... I waited so long!! I'm so excited and happy about my new life! I experienced the "getting stuck" feeling.... not cool!! I just was graduated to pureed/mushy stuff, so I guess i got a little too excited and ate too much too fast... I walked around and also chewed up some papaya enzyme... it actually worked and then everything went down-- Thank God! It feels like a huge amount of pressure on your chest... and if I wasn't eating.. I could swear I was having a heart attack!! So... just wanted to give you a heads up!

CHEW CHEW CHEW!!! AND SMALL AMOUNTS! :lol:

Congrats to all my fellow SAMURAIs!! I just love that name. I really think and believe that we are warriors. I know we have a long way to go, but the trip is well worth it.

I'm getting banded tomorrow. I'm nervous and anxious!! I can't wait. My husband really doesn't want me to do it, because he doesn't want me to get cut on. But I'm determined and mind is set!! So pray for me and the other 15'ers.

Hello...I might be the only canadian in the samurai group! I was banded on wed the 10th... so far so good "ish"...It isnt an easy thing is it .. dont have a particular vice except my newly discovered "hate" on for jello...The diets I read everyones on are quite different I was day one , only ice and day 2-6 clear fluids ...today is day 6 and protien shakes pudding yogurt and creamed Soup popcicles and Jello are the next 10 days reguime the liquid diet day 17 you start with pureed foods seems alot of you get to that sooner ....After reading some of the post surgury posts about sliming and choking I am ok with going slowly ...lol Its odd my stomach grumbles but I dont think I am hungry persay ... different than how I'd expected things to be...am not in a huge amount of pain .. kids chewable grape tylenol I took the first few days because ( in canada we have T-3's) tylenol with codine and chewing them ...Ya cant NOT gag... they are so bitter .. so the grape things even if I had to chew three almost were a food group lol Its monday morning and I am down 13 lbs? since I checked into the hospital wed ...thats alot not really realistic considering eating jello and only chickenbroth for 4 days ... anyone would lose that banded or not... but? its the beginning of this sojourn... thanks all I enjoy reading your stories.... Tammy

Ok so I'm still at the 6lbs loss since surgery 9/8...i must admit I am hungry and i think about food all the time..i have to do this liquid diet for 30 days and i just feel discouraged and hungry i guess...this may sound ridiculous but i'm wondering if the dang band is gonna work for me..i'm hardly taking in any "food" and yet my weight loss is slow or maybe i'm trippin..i'm just frustrated and hungry...now i just called the fill center to make my 6 week appt and she's talkin about, do i know where my port is and can i find it? (no and i havent tried yet) and if the doctor cant find it, i may have to go elsewhere and still pay them the consulatation fee (mind u, the fill center is the closest that wouldnt require me to hop on a plane or drive for several hrs) what the hell kinda doctor is that..u want me to find the port site? geez, u want me to look at an xray, why dont i inject myself while i'm at it....ughhhhh and then she takes my cc # (even tho my appt is 10/20) and says they will charge it 2 days prior to my appt date if they dont hear from me..

rant over...

Shongra.....

Hang in there honey!! You have come this far dont throw in the towel just yet! I know it is frustrating, but if you dont give it a fair chance I think you might later regret it! I hope your dr doesnt give you a bunch of BS!! Good luck with that!! I am not being banded until the 30th, but if you need to vent feel free I am here!

Good luck!

Hugs!

Chris

Shongra.....

Hang in there honey!! You have come this far dont throw in the towel just yet! I know it is frustrating, but if you dont give it a fair chance I think you might later regret it! I hope your dr doesnt give you a bunch of BS!! Good luck with that!! I am not being banded until the 30th, but if you need to vent feel free I am here!

Good luck!

Hugs!

Chris

U're right...i think my frustration is because of how long I have to go before solid food and usually when i am frustrated i will eat and now i cant so now i just gotta get over my feelings which is something i havent really learned to do...i was a self-pay so i really dont wanna mess up "Shabanda" so I will stick to the liquids and try and stay off the scale...thank you for the words of encouragement tho..:embaressed_smile:

Isnt it funny how a lack of food can make us "monsters"....it is a whole new journey and we have alot to learn!! I feel like I am grieving my best friend "food"......it is going to be a long hard battle, but I know in the end we are worth it! I was talking to the nurse at my last appointment and we were talking about how hard it is to get help with overeating and why we do it! If I binged and purged there are tons of places for that....but just eating to self medicate, well baically we are on our own!!

OK si i guess i am one venting now...LOL

How are you feeling?

Hang in there you are worth this!!!! :tt1:

Ok so I'm still at the 6lbs loss since surgery 9/8...i must admit I am hungry and i think about food all the time..i have to do this liquid diet for 30 days and i just feel discouraged and hungry i guess...this may sound ridiculous but i'm wondering if the dang band is gonna work for me..i'm hardly taking in any "food" and yet my weight loss is slow or maybe i'm trippin..i'm just frustrated and hungry...now i just called the fill center to make my 6 week appt and she's talkin about, do i know where my port is and can i find it? (no and i havent tried yet) and if the doctor cant find it, i may have to go elsewhere and still pay them the consulatation fee (mind u, the fill center is the closest that wouldnt require me to hop on a plane or drive for several hrs) what the hell kinda doctor is that..u want me to find the port site? geez, u want me to look at an xray, why dont i inject myself while i'm at it....ughhhhh and then she takes my cc # (even tho my appt is 10/20) and says they will charge it 2 days prior to my appt date if they dont hear from me..

rant over...

So sorry you are having problems. I have an HMO so even though I don't pay, I get it in the end. Front Desk Nurses can be bitches :tt2: (oops I shouldn't use that word) at times, My Surgeon has a major one, come to find out I am not the only one she has bitten, yes I am missing a chunk from my tushie. Anyway just do the best you can do. Perhaps the Dr is not as "stupid" as his front desk.

Now, regarding the weight, you do know that surgery can cause you to retain, you know, the tissues are pissed off that they have been assaulted. That is why you get a fill later, you tummy is pissed at have been smashed in a band. Give it time. I have read a lot of posts and some people do not loose quickly in the very begining.

And yes Hunger can make our moods - alter. I am just on my pre op diet and today I just snapped, but I was starving. :blush: Anyway, just hang in there, drink your protien drinks. You have come so far and everything will work out for you, I promise. Take Care Huggs :rolleyes: Debbie

Well Sept 16th was my surgery. I got there at 0630, I was 2nd on the list so surgery started about 0915. I told him I get very nauseated after surgery and they got me a shot and a patch and it worked. I stayed in recovery a little longer than usual because my heart rate keeping falling in the 30s or 40s. After it stabilized I went to xray so they could watch me drink some of that chaulky stuff. They then brought me to a room. The biggest pain was I had to pee before they released me and I couldn't. It took 3 hours and lots of fluids. So of course once I did, I was going all night long. Even when I didn't have too. I got 6 little holes. I know some people that only had 3. I wonder why I had so many? They sent this little breathing appartus home with me which I am supposed to do every 6 minutes but I don't know for how long and also I have to wear the stockings for a few days for blood clots.

Dr. Morton in Nashville was my doc. He really stressed that the lapband really works best on solid food. He says have at least 60 grams of Protein per day. And when eating, eat Protein (meat) first then veggies and then fruit. The thought is to get full on the protein first. All things that melt in your mouth (chips, Cookies, ice cream) will only slow the weight loss down because they will slip right through the band like a liquid.

Well I am doing well. I have a little soreness of course. I still have pain in my shoulders and neck from the gas but I have my gasx strips. I took some pain medication before I went to bed and hopefully I won't need to take anymore. I have today and tomorrow on Clear Liquids and then soft food starts for a week and then solids. I can't wait for a scrambled egg or something that is not liquid anymore. I don't feel hungry yet but I could eat if I thought about it. Good luck to everyone else. And I thank all you guys for your support and for having a forum like this. This is great.

Denise

Oh P.S. I lost 17 lbs on the pre-op diet!!!

Like Neicey, I had my band placed yesterday. I came home last night. I'm sore, mostly where my gallbladder was. (Had it out years ago). Not where my port is. That's about 3 inches to the left (from my prospective). I am pretty sure it's because it's indented there. I feel pretty good other than that site. Have to check in with my dr's pa (bob) at 4 pm today. Fun stuff.

I was banded in Cooperstown NY with Steven Heneghan MD. It was a wonderful experience. The dr's and nurses were great. My pre op nurse Tom had GB about 6 months ago, and has lost 100 pounds. I said I wasn't look to loose that quickly, but congratulated him. We started out about 80 pounds difference (he was heavier). He had nearly every co-morbity possible. I just had back pain (have several herniated discs) and diabetes. He's almost down to my pre op weight. I've already lost 30 pounds, he lost 11 preop.

What else... oh make sure you have something liquid to take to get those bowels working again. With the pain meds, we're likely to get constipated.

Teri

After reading some of these posts I have to say I am lucky to not be hungry,I will force my food down happily from now on. I think yesterday I was just in a crappy mood because I never felt "fat" before the band I had no health problems and I was exercising every day, yesterday, ( 6 days out) I got winded at the grocery store and I was pissed!!! I was mad at the band at the world at myself for having this done!!!! but, I think I am okay now...It will get better.

Hi everyone Teresa here from West Virginia! Surgery on 09/08/08 in Winchester, VA - Dr. Troy Glembot! (WONDERFUL DOC)!!!

I had my first follow-up apt today with the Dr. I have lost an additional 5 pounds since surgery! I am now down 24 pounds!!! Woo-Hoo:lol: He was really happy! He also pulled my steri strips off! I had to have more blood wrok done today! He also said I should stay on puree foods for another couple weeks! (I'm just happy to be on puree foods!) I found this chipotle salmon at Wal-mart - cooked it and added a little Tomato Soup and it was DELICIOUS! He was happy when I told him I was able to walk 2 miles now! I still get full fast! I hope this sensation last!

So anywho! I'm excited and I hope you all are doing well also!!!

Take care and Good Luck to those about to be banded!!!

Teresa

Hi Everyone! I was banded this morning at 7am. I cannot believe how GREAT I feel... I have a little gas pain, but other than that I feel fabulous. I hope I am not jinxing myself as I heard the second day is pretty bad... My doctor uses the Realize band and does not put in a fill until 4 weeks post op. I am not hungry, but I weighed myself and I gained a pound... I think it is all the Water I drank as I have only had Jello today.... Oh well, I hope the weight starts coming off soon.... I hope everyone else is feeling great.....:)

I forgot to tell you all that I had my post op visit today in Denver... the incisions look great... waiting for bloodwork to come back from last week, have been feeling dizzy and have almost fainted a few times... Doc is unsure of what is going on...will let ya'll know as soon as I do! I also attended two nutritional classes... very helpful! Oh, and the BEST part! I've LOST 15 lbs!!!!!!! Wooohoooo!!! :)