Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all, I am getting ready to go to the seminar and in hopes of changing my life for ever. I have already got pre-certified from my insurance so hopefully the next 6 mo. will go by quickly. I am very nervous but excited. I am looking for new friends and experiences so talk to me and I also would like to know other peoples receipes and do's and don'ts regarding diet after the surgery. Beck:wink_smile:

Welcome! I'm a new bandster, just got my band on friday. Enjoy your seminar, ask questions...mine was very informative!

Finally someone close. Welcome to lapband. I am also from West Virginia. Where abouts are you?? Im from Parkersburg. Good luck with everything, I come here all the time it is a greatplace to ask questions and compair stories.

Elizabeth

Did you have blue cross blue shield insurance. They told me I was approved for the surgery as long as I pre certify. Does the Doctor Kaplan take care of the that?

Hi Hickman. Welcome to LBT. I am kinda new here and have my surgery scheduled for Sept. 12th. This site is the perfect place to have your questions answered, get pre and post op suggestions, and make friends. It is so nice to talk to people who know exactly what you are feeling. Don't ever feel that a question is silly - ask them all!!!! People are so friendly and willing to help!! Good luck with the insurance part of your journey.

I had Blue Cross Blue Shield.. You will have a 6 month preop diet in which you will spend a lot of time with Lindsey. Lindsey is the dietition, Jeanie Morris is the nurse. You will see them the most and I onl saw Dr. Kaplan twice before my surgery. They handle everything, I didnt have to do anything with my insurance, other then pay the bills, but that is ok. So you are going to have Dr.Kaplan?? He did a pretty good job. When do you go to the seminar?

Elizabeth

I go Saturday the 6th.:wink2: So that is pretty cool that they take care of everything for you as far as insurance goes. I was curious about how much out of pocket it is and how soon you need to come up with it? :thumbdown:

It is so worth it though. I keep thinking about all the money I am going to save by not eating all the bad food.. Dr. Kaplan is doing the surgery. He did emergency gallbladder surgery on me a year ago and did a great job. Have you had any difficulties?

The only problems that I had was I got dehydrated and ended up spending extra time in the hospital and a week later I came down with the flu. I was probably exposed to it at the hospital and "lucky me" came down with it. What kind of plan do you have with Blue Cross? My plan is anything done at CCMH is 100% and everything else I pay 20%. I guess it really isnt too bad, the thing is I am unemployeed right now and a full time student so trying to come up with the 20% for all the preop testing I had to have for example a sleep study, cardiac testing due to me having high heart rate, stuff like that. I just had my surgery July 14th so far I am only down 15-18 pounds I guess that isnt too bad. One thing a lot of people are having trouble with is the exercise. They are finding out that if you dont exercise during the 6 months, you will be turned down. I know of at least 3 people so far that has been turned down due to lack of exercise. Well good luck with everything. Keep in touch :smile:

Elizabeth

:eek:Oh, thats aweful. The flu. You have had a rough start. So they definately once you start the six month program they want you to prove you can lose weight and exercise. Do you just have to keep track of what you do? I think I have 100% other than deductible. Not sure on the testing for the percentages. That is awesome that you have lost. Are you on solid foods yet? The whole making chicken into a shake is just grossing me out. I will have to find other ways of getting the protien I need.

Yeah, it was a very rough start, they first thought it was band complications but I just felt like I had the flu and was running a fever. They even talked about putting a feeding tube in while I was sick just trying to get nutrition in.

When you go in to see Lindsey, which is everyother week, she will ask you about your exercise how much, what was it, stuff like that. The post op diet isnt all that bad. You will do Clear Liquids for a week, then full for 1-2 weeks then pureed(not baby food) for a week or so then softs, and then regular. I kind of stopped at softs, too scared to eat much more then that. GNC has a Protein poweder that I used for my Protein Shakes. I couldnt handle the slim fast, made me sick, so what I did was Carnation instant Breakfast with lactose free milk and a scoop of protein. That wasnt too bad, I just got sick and tired of drinking it and stubburn me quit drinking my protein and yes I lost a lot of hair due to that.. The main thing with the preop diet is to make sure you are commented and cutting your portion sizes down and getting rid of carbs, carbonated drinks and caffiene. It goes fast. :thumbup:

Before you know it, you will be a bandster like a lot of us and think "That wasnt bad at all."

Yeah, I have heard that if you don't do the protien as directed you will have Hair loss. I have thin hair as it is. I just want to get to the meeting. I am so excited. I am glad you started talking to me. I am making my husband go with me to the seminar. He is nervous about the whole thing. So now you eat about 1/4 cup size food and its still the soft food. The pre-diet doesn't sound to bad. I am sure it will go by quickly. I hope.

Good morning, Hickman! I think it's a really good idea to have your husband go with you to the seminar. I did the same thing; mine is a nurse and working in a GI lab, saw many many bypass patients with ulcers and other issues, so he was pretty much against me getting ANY type of surgery. The seminar helped convince him that the band is an entirely different animal. I knew I'd need him on board with this; we have been married 25 years and are a pretty good team. I needed him in my court!

I got my band 8/29 and am feeling pretty darned good. I'm anxious to be through the liquid phase of my post op diet (what they call bandster hell....because you are hungry but really must follow surgeon's directions so you can heal) but I know it will pass soon.

I love my band already!

Hi RestlessMonkey, thanks for welcoming me. Once my husband and I decided this would be the best and most safe way to go I just can't get started soon enouph. I can't wait to be banded. I have to follow my insurance guildlines to be approved so I have to do a six month program. It will be the longest 6 months ever!! I am hoping though in that six months it gets me into a good frame of mind. I feel like I have been given a chance to live again.

I cant wait for the seminar on Saturday!!!!