Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi my name is china,

i was wondering if anyone has a south beach diet book that they are no longer need. as my dr. requires you to do the south beach diet. and i dont want to buy one and im only gonna use it for a short time. if so please let me know :smile2:

thank you

I'm pretty sure I have one. Gosh, I think I have them all! :tt2:

Will check when I get home (in about 4hrs) and let you know!

I got one at my local library. Also found 2 very excellent books on low gi eating, that really explained why the diet works and which foods to eat better. (south beach diet is a low gi diet, based on how fast foods digest in your system 100 being sugar itself).

I had trouble following the diet until I read the books written on low gi (which I also got at my library).

thanks for all of the responces. i want to try the formula 40-30-30 but, not sure what the doctor will say. i know at the seminar dr. said read the first 135 pages then reread. how did everyone do on the south beach diet or did you also try some thing else. how much did every one loss on it?

I lost over 80 lbs doing low gi, but then I kinda blew it when my dad's heart went out of sync and then he broke his hip and then he was in rehab and I was going back and forth for months and he almost died twice. I put all the weight back on and a little more. It works if you stick to it, but I dont think you can get the nuances from the south beach book is why I suggested also reading low gi diet books.

For instance, potatoes are a no no, but if you really really crave one, boil a new red potato. Baked potatoes have more starch, only boiled and the newer and smaller the less starch, the lower the gi.

Rice, pick a whole grain chewy rice and boil and boil and pour off Water and keep boiling at least 20 minutes. If its a chewy type brown rice it will still be good. Instant rice is totally out.

Pasta, again, small small portions if at all, then the opposite is true, dont overcook, its gets more starchy and again whole grains only.

Whole grain Cereal no sugar, everything you can you need to switch to whole grains, and its a side dish not the main dish, like you dont have a whole plate of spagetti, its a side to your Protein.< /p>

One of the books breaks foods into red light, green light and yellow light foods, red always no, yellow are maybes, watch them and green you can have all you want.

unsweetened yogurt or yogurt with artificial sweeterns is the lowest gi food on the charts. good for Snacks or Breakfast (except I hate it).

the books on low gi to me helped me understand what I could eat a whole lot better than telling me to eat so much of which foods and a bunch of receipes.

thanks so much flowers, that really helped me out alot. was wondering if you knew the name if the book you were reading and what does gi mean. that is kind of what formula 40-30-30 does it tells you the things you can eat and what you cant. it has a 21 day flush section also and it says its safe for the whole family to use. also shows you how to make Protein Shakes and it has 30% Protein in it.

Ratios didnt help me since I didnt know which foods to eat, and why. GI = glycemic index. Each food has a rating and you want to eat foods, I think foods rated 60 or 70 or less? I forget the details. Foods that take longer to digest go into your lower part of the stomach and enzymes are produced telling you that you are full that are not produced if you eat foods that digest fast. You can google just about any food and find out its glycemic index and books. I came up with The Low GI Revolution, by Dr Jean Brand-Miller and others, she has written a few really good one. Rick Gallops book on the low gi method of eating etc. Try the first author at your library, she is good. I googled "gi index for cherries" and got

Glycemic Index for: Cherries

Food: Cherries

Glycemic Index: 22

Glycemic Index Rating: Low

All you really need is a computer and google what you want once you understand which foods are low gi ratings. If you have less ratio of foods like veggies it doesnt matter but get in your Protein, lots of fish.