Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Next fill 2 wks away and I'm hungry!

Ok, I'm a little worried. I've had 2 fills. My next one is still 2 weeks away and I am hungry all the time. I know I'm eating way more than I should, and I've had too many sweets. I haven't started a rough work-out regime yet because of the asthma. I'm hoping and praying that when I drop 20 more lbs. the asthma will ease up a little. It's a vicious cycle. I can't exercise because of the asthma. The asthma flares up because of the weight. I can't lose weight right now because I can't exercise properly. I lost 17 lbs all together during pre-op and shortly after the surgery. Since I've gained my appetite back, I've gained 7 of what I lost. I was banded June 24, 2008. Sorry to complain, but I'm discouraged and needed to vent. :thumbup:

DesertRose,

You are not alone. I have had 2 fills and with the first one I was hungry all the time but I had to go back to basics; measuring my food, making good food choices and front/backing loading with Water. It does work, you just have to work it. I know that old habits die hard but the only way to get out of this rut is to take some ownership of your eating habits. I completely understand about the asthma but asthma doesn't prevent you from making good food choices and following the bandster fundamentals(excluding the exercise). It truly is mind over matter. Please rely on your support system and if you don't have a sound one then please stay in touch with experienced bandsters on this site, I always pull my strength from them. Please stay encouraged and Good Luck.

Thank you, Sunshinelady for your sensible and level-headed advice and encouragement. I appreciate it so much. This forum has been a blessing for me. I just need a kick in the seat to get back on track. I've been trying to encourage everyone else on here and now seem to be going through some of the same things. Guess that's what this forum is for!! BTW...you have done great...congratulations on your loss so far!!

I'm not banded yet; I'm hoping for a September date. When you current bandsters talk about needing fills and being hungry all the time, I get a little concerned about that hunger. Is the hunger MORE than the hunger before you were banded? If so, how can that be? If not, why does it seem harder to control than before banding? If we've spent years at a constant weight, then why does it seem like we gain AFTER banding? I don't have a hunger problem now (just an overeating problem LOL), so will I have a hunger problem after I'm banded?

I know this sounds dumb, but I truly wonder this every time I read about someone being hungry all the time. Thanks.

Dear Clickersister:

I'm sorry that a thread I started would give you concern. The problem is ME and not the band. Once you (and I for that matter) reach proper restriction, things get easier. For me it's not so much that I'm hungrier, but before the band, I just ate without thinking about it. Now I'm learning to recognize real hunger instead of 'emotional' hunger...and I'm finding lately, I'm hungry all the time. But again, it's just ME and everyone is different. Good luck to you. :smile2:

Hi there DesertRose, I can totally relate as many bandsters can. I have had 2 fill and have not lost 1 lb. I really think it takes the correct restriction and then you do stop feeling hungry. Don't worry Clickersister it is not like before you were banded, you will do fine. What did Sunshine Lady mean about front and back loading with Water? Does that help with hunger? Do you wait 1/2 hour and then start drinking water like crazy? There is a really great poster on these threads, Luluc, she took 5 fills to really reach her restriction and lose weight and lose her hunger. She went from a size 16 to a size 6. It will happen. When I was at the doctor's office for my second fill I expressed my concerns to the receptionist who weighed me and she said "Don't worry, it will happen. People come in and are worried and then at their 3rd or 4th fill BOOM they hit proper restricition and they start losing weight." For me it is that I can't eat very much but then in an hour I find myself hungry again. Some people on these threads will eat and stay full for 4-5 hours. I want to experience that. Hang in there, we all empathize.

I feel much encouraged reading these posts. i was banded 17/6/08 and have lost around 14 kilos, but lost 12 of those in the 1st 3 weeks. i am exercising 4-5 hours a week and seem to be losing in measurements but not on the scales. I can no longer wear my favourite pair of jeans as even with a belt they are too baggy round the butt. have had to buy another pair 2 sizes smaller, so need to Celebrate that. have found myself feeling stressed about not seeming to lose on the scales(where we seem to obsess over) and starting to pick and feel hungrier. I am going for second fill on Tues so can't wait for some more restriction

Thanks for those answers. Please don't be sorry you started this thread. I've been trying to get my band for about 20 months now (long story) but I'm hoping for insurance approval VERY, VERY soon, maybe today. And I've been reading posts about hunger the whole time. I really did wonder if the hunger increased after banding. It's good to know that it will be the same as before. I know I will be successful, because all I have to do is look at how successful you all are. I especially like the before and after picture thread; I get so motivated and inspired, and I just know I'll have my pics on there before long! I'll let you know when I get my approval and surgery date! Thanks again, kind people!

I have to weigh in on this one, since I am now unfilled to a surgeon error in surgery. Head hunger sucks, but it is actually that. Your brain tries to trick you into eating at times when you are really not hungry. And it happens alot, we are surrounded by food, images of food, the smell of food ect. All of those things can make your brain think it needs to eat. It sucks.

BUT no matter where we are in our band journey, we can help overcome it. It takes realization that it isn't your fault, but you can control it. I have been week without any Fluid after being 2+ years with a very happy level of restriction. And the first few days killed me. I am still battling head hunger only now I am putting up a better fight.

Protein is your best friend, eat lots of it. It stays with your body longer. Water also can help stop head hunger. But in the end, you need to learn what your body is telling you and if you are really really hungry! We can all do this, and it IS worth it!

Good luck to you all!

It's a different feeling at least for me. Everyone is different so they tell me. For me I get a upset stomach. Best wishes for your lap band. I don't regret getting mine it's been 18 months and I have lost 90lbs.