Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just thought I'd give a word of advice to all of you banders that are still on your 2 week post-op diet. OK, so my adorable husband fixed his famous beef stew over the weekend. We kept out some of the broth from it and I have been eating (sipping) on it for the past couple days.

About 45 minutes ago, my stomach started growling so bad I was about to go crazy. So, I get up and warm me up some of the broth from the stew. I thought it would be ok if I put some crackers in it to make it a little thicker so it would stay with me longer. WARNING: DON NOT DO THIS. MY STOMACH IS HURTING RIGHT NOW AND I KNOW IT HAS TO BE BECAUSE I WENT AGAINST WHAT I WAS TOLD AND PUT CRACKERS IN MY BROTH. It is so not worth the pain I am having right now. Just stick to the diet the Doctors actually know what they are talking about.

Thanks for the advice!!!

Just thought I'd give a word of advice to all of you banders that are still on your 2 week post-op diet. OK, so my adorable husband fixed his famous beef stew over the weekend. We kept out some of the broth from it and I have been eating (sipping) on it for the past couple days.

About 45 minutes ago, my stomach started growling so bad I was about to go crazy. So, I get up and warm me up some of the broth from the stew. I thought it would be ok if I put some crackers in it to make it a little thicker so it would stay with me longer. WARNING: DON NOT DO THIS. MY STOMACH IS HURTING RIGHT NOW AND I KNOW IT HAS TO BE BECAUSE I WENT AGAINST WHAT I WAS TOLD AND PUT CRACKERS IN MY BROTH. It is so not worth the pain I am having right now. Just stick to the diet the Doctors actually know what they are talking about.

I am so sorry that you are hurting. Hang in there, we are all going to learn some things the hard way. Saying no to food is not something any of us are good at or we wouldn't be here.

I dont think you can generalize, some people have trouble with soft bread and some dont. So far there isnt anything I have had trouble with and Iv even had a fill (waste of my time and money). Other than once with some cantelope, I can eat anything. I was having part of a subway sub into my 3rd week after surgery, and I waited only because I was told to, I know I could have eaten it a lot sooner.

I dont think you can generalize, some people have trouble with soft bread and some dont. So far there isnt anything I have had trouble with and Iv even had a fill (waste of my time and money). Other than once with some cantelope, I can eat anything. I was having part of a subway sub into my 3rd week after surgery, and I waited only because I was told to, I know I could have eaten it a lot sooner.

Flowers, she stated that she is still on the 2 week post-op liquid diet! She is not to have anything other than liquids! It sounds like you are further along than that. Especially if you've already gone for a fill (I'm sorry your first fill didn't work for you :tt1: ). I'm so glad you didn't eat the sandwich sooner although you felt you could have. It's so important to follow the surgeon's guidelines.

This stage before the first fill is for healing ONLY! NOT losing weight. Once we've healed and start getting fills THEN we can start worrying about losing some of these pounds we're hauling around.

Unfortunately, I'm continuing on my shake diet for the 2 weeks after surgery (had to do them for 10 days before surgery). Although being only just banded on Monday, the shakes are fine right now. Come next week, I might change my mind! :thumbup:

Flowers, I hope your next fill is better for you. I've heard that it can sometimes take awhile for the fills to start working. Sometime 4 or 5 before restriction happens. Hang in there!

Sassymama, thanks for the warning. Crackers seem so benign. I'm hoping you feel better soon. Take care. And no more crackers!! ;)

I can sympathize! I was banded 9 days ago and the other day we were out shopping and stopped for lunch. I decided to try the broth from cream of potato Soup and I thought I was going to die! I felt full, bloated, gassy and just plain sick. Went back to CLEAR broths for now.

Everyone is different but listen to your doctor and your body and you will do ok.

Sounds like you are yelling at me because I said everyone is different.

I didnt have a pre-opt diet even though on my own I lost 9 lbs. I also was not on liquids for 2 weeks. I was on liquids for 3 days after my surgery. I started mushys like chicken salad 3 days after my surgery. My doctors orders and I had no trouble. My doctor actually said try them and see how you react.

I was just saying you cant generalize, every doctor allows something different. I was eating food like she said 3 days after surgery, if she meant putting the crackers into the Soup so they were mushy. I did wait as I said until 3 1/2 weeks to do real food, only a few days early.

Some people dont swell up like others, some have more pain and my post op diet was liquids for 3 days and then mushys, so I was allowed crackers in soup way before 2 weeks by my doctors orders. You really cant generalize what everyone can and cant do or what they were allowed as a post op diet. There are also some who have a prefill during surgery so they have to be more carefull afterwards than others, its all different for each person.

I agree everyone is different. I had no pre-opt diet AT ALL. I was eating food the day I came home. Granted it was different then before I went in but there were no limitations put on me. I had no pain or problems.

This was just me * ALWAYS listen to YOUR doctor!*

Sounds like you are yelling at me because I said everyone is different.

I didnt have a pre-opt diet even though on my own I lost 9 lbs. I also was not on liquids for 2 weeks. I was on liquids for 3 days after my surgery. I started mushys like chicken salad 3 days after my surgery. My doctors orders and I had no trouble. My doctor actually said try them and see how you react.

I was just saying you cant generalize, every doctor allows something different. I was eating food like she said 3 days after surgery, if she meant putting the crackers into the Soup so they were mushy. I did wait as I said until 3 1/2 weeks to do real food, only a few days early.

Some people dont swell up like others, some have more pain and my post op diet was liquids for 3 days and then mushys, so I was allowed crackers in Soup way before 2 weeks by my doctors orders. You really cant generalize what everyone can and cant do or what they were allowed as a post op diet. There are also some who have a prefill during surgery so they have to be more carefull afterwards than others, its all different for each person.

I don't see where I was yelling. The only all-caps I used were for certain words for emphasis. I realize we are all different. Sassymama was talking about her experience. She wasn't generalizing except to say that if our post-ops said only liquids and what types then that is what we should do b/c this is what happened to her. She specifically states that her post is for those of us on a 2 week liquids diet. That's not generalizing except to make a note for those of us following a similar diet.

The only reason I even mentioned my pre-op is b/c it happens to be the same as my 2 week post-op diet. Just a clarification thing.

I think it's great you lost 9lbs before surgery! I had been losing through the program Kaiser requires but the surgeon requires the pre-op shake thing as extra insurance for the liver being small enough. I have heard of surgeon's not requiring anything.

Question for you. When did you get hungry? I'm so not hungry right now. I have to do my 2 oz of shakes on the clock or I forget about it. I'm hoping I don't get hungry for awhile but I also know everyone is different in that as well. Just wondering how it worked for you. Thanks!

I do apologize if you took my post wrong. That wasn't my intention. It's hard when it's all words and no facial expressions! Maybe I should start using the little faces below more often! :cursing:

Take care!

I feel for you. I did the same thing with a bagel 4 wks post op. I won't begin to tell you what I went through.

I feel like Im hungry a lot, so I have a SF popsicle or something. I do hear once we get filled to our sweet spot the desire to snack will dim. I hope so. (man I hope it gets easier lol)

I am telling myself there is no time limit, so it doesnt matter if I lose like a turtle or lose fast, as long as I get to the finish line. We have a saying on my cruise chat board where some of us are trying to lose, "one day, one pound at a time". I need to take that to heart. Im too impatient with everything.

sorry, I didnt mean anything by my post either, just frustrated, want the pounds to come off faster.

To those of you just starting out, use the phrase "just because I can doesn't mean I should". Just because you can eat a lot or eat something you were told you shouldn't doesn't mean that you should eat it. You can still practice eating like a bandster and begin loosing weight now. It's harder, I'll give you that but it does put you that much farther ahead of the game.

I couldn't say what dimmed my desire for junk food. The band dims the desire to eat between meals and I think that just weaning myself from the sweets made it where my body adjusted to wanting the good stuff. No, I'm not perfect. I don't want to be. However, when you can only eat a small amount you learn what works the best. Dense Protein keeps you full faster without having to cut the circulation off in your stomach. :thumbup: Carbs don't last a long time and you'll be hungry sooner.

Absolutely do whatever your doctor says. I don't know why they are all different but they are. It's always good to error on the side of healing. I wasn't hungry for about 2 weeks after surgery. Just goes to show you how different we all are.

Heartfire - good to see you're doing well.

Vicki