Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you make of this

I have been thinking about some things about my insurance and my doctor. I have not gone to my doctor visit yet, but I do know my insurance does cover this type of surgery, but I still have to have an H and P, psych eval and nutrition evaluation. But, what bothers me is I talked to my insurance to find out if they cover the psych eval and the nutrition eval and they said they did. However, I am going to have to pay 200.00 for the psych eval and 200 for the nutrition consult, because apparently the doctors in the surgeons office does not take the insurance? Also, I am going to have to pay for my doctors preop diet supplements and and the postop stuff they want their patients to have. I guess what I am trying to get at here is about how much out-of-pocket money was everyone out for their surgeries? I do know it is going to cost 150 dollars for the preop diet stuff and 200 for the postop diet stuff. I don't even mind paying for this, but I can't figure out if my insurance will pay for the psych eval and nutrition, then why are they sending people to doctors who they have to pay that much up front? Even the insurance lady told me 200 was sort of high for those. What do you guys think? I really want to have this done as soon as possible, but with all the extra stuff I don't know when it will be. I was supposed to have gone to the history and physical appointment yesterday, but had to cancel because I couldn't do the evals next week. :angry:

The same thing happen to me. Just ask your Dr if you can be evaluated by someone out of their practice. Call around to other Bariatirc Dr and find out who they use for their Psyc evals and then see which ones your insurance covers. If they don't cover any of them than just start calling ones that your insurance does cover and see who will do it. My Dr. had a letter to the psychologist explaining what they wanted. Just look out for the psychologist that wants you there for like three visits. Also as far as the 200 goes for out of pocket that sounds about right. My Surgeons psyc eval was 300 others I called when I thought I was going to pay out of pocket were between200 - 600. I would think that you can do the same with your nutrition consult. Good Luck.

Hi Emilie,

Thank you very much for that info. I will call them Monday and find out if they will do this. I have a feeling though, that they will probably tell me that I will have to use their doctors, but it's worth a shot and I will definitely see what I can get done. Thank you again for that information :angry:

Psychiatrists and Nutritionists ALWAYS have to fight to get their sessions covered by insurances. Especially one time only visits. All of the psychiatrists I contacted work on their own with no office staff and usually pay an outside company to do their medical billing. And sadly most all of those billing company's really don't do a good job of getting money for the Doctors. I paid $250 cash and then submitted the "super bill" to my insurance carrier myself and later got a refund from the insurance company (minus of course my regular 20% co-pay) Now of course there are some offices out there that aren't that way, and do take the time to fight and appeal the decisions that the insurance companies make, so if you want to do the research and call around to everyone then go ahead. I just decided to take the matter into my own hands and deal with my insurance myself.

Double check too if the $200 dollars covers only your first visit or for all following visits. I had to pay $300 for the initial psychiatrist & nutritionist appointment but this also covers all additional appointments, phone calls/emails with questions and their support groups. I've heard of some people submitting it to their insurance and getting it approved after some insistence.

You should not have to pay for your doctor's pre and post diet food. You can shop around for Protein shakes and find the best prices and the ones you like the most.

I fully understand what you are going through. My doctor required me to pay a "program fee" that isn't billed to insurance.:confused2: They told me up front $250. Then they sent me to a psych and nutritionist visit at the hospital where the surgery will take place. That was another $95. I found out at the hospital that if I had used their doctors for surgery, this would have been included with my price. :lol: It does at least cover 5 more visits with the social worker if I want or need them. I still have another $1000 "program fee" that has to be paid 7 days prior to surgery. :tongue: This too is not billed to insurance. I think they just want to make as much money up front as they can.

Hi, even if you have to pay that you are lucky. My insurance covered nothing.I had to pay over $13,000.00. Good luck on your journey.