Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining weight and hugely hungry

Hi guys.

I feel like I've failed already.

I was banded on July 8th. Since then I've had one fill. Between the 5 weeks from the surgery adn my first fill appointment, I gained 3 k's. I was disgusted with myself. How can I have gained that much weight?

I'm hugely hungry too. I eat big platefuls. I'm so scared I've stretched the stomach above the band alread.

I have to go back on Wednesday for my next fill. (it'll be 2 weeks since my last). I've already got 6 mills in there. How much more can it fit. The surgeon told me that I've got the largest band on me. I'm in Australia, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I don't want to have gone through all of this to fail. I'm so miserable at myself. I feel so bad.

Is this normal? Or is this just not going to work? :wink2:

As far as I know the largest is 14CC. Don't worry, you have not failed. I felt very little on my first fill. I just got my third yesterday and I can just now start to understand what true restriction is and all it took to show that drastic improvment was an additional 1CC. It is very normal and does not mean that you have failed. You do need another fill though. Are you able to move the date up for your next fill? Some doctors allow that and some don't.

Hey, Hey, Hey!!! Calm down sweetie!!!! You are fine!!! You are doing nothing out of the ordinary. You do NOT have any restriction so of course you can eat a lot of food. Anyone who is not restricted CAN eat a lot of food!!! You really don't have a pouch yet to stretch out, with only one fill, so breath easy!!

Most important thing is, YOU HAVE NOT FAILED!!! This is the band, not bypass. You are not going to drop a huge amount of weight all of a sudden, it will be gradual and will come as you get restriction and can not eat as much.

Bless you heart!!! You are doing just fine!! Stay with it and it will come!!

Cassandra,

I am in the same situation. I was banded July 14th and have had my 1st fill 2 weeks ago (4cc's) and I don't feel any restriction at all. I lost 13 lbs right after surgery and I have gain most of it back.....very frustrating. Also, I seem to have a bigger appetite than before. I have been told by many people that they did not feel restricted until their 2nd fill. I can't get my 2nd fill until mid Sept. Please keep my informed on how you do with your 2nd fill.

Don't get discouraged, this is a work in progress.

Jane

I was banded on 7/16 and got my first fill 8/19 (3 ccs in an 8 cc band). No restriction and my doctor said during the fluro that the barium went through too fast so I probably wouldn't feel much restriction but since it was the first fill, he wanted me to try it out for a couple of weeks. I have my next fill scheduled for 9/2 so I'm hoping to get more restriction then. Remember, the band is a tool but we also have to work at it too so just because you CAN eat a plateful of food now doesn't mean you SHOULD eat a plateful of food. Having said that, I have overindulged from time to time since being banded but I'm not overindulging myself EVERY night like I did prior to being banded. I'm sure you are also not overeating every day like you did before so cut yourself some slack and relax. Every persons's journey is unique.

As far as I know the largest is 14CC. Don't worry, you have not failed. I felt very little on my first fill. I just got my third yesterday and I can just now start to understand what true restriction is and all it took to show that drastic improvment was an additional 1CC. It is very normal and does not mean that you have failed. You do need another fill though. Are you able to move the date up for your next fill? Some doctors allow that and some don't.

Well it's only this coming Wednesday, so I'll just stick it out and be good till then.

Hey, Hey, Hey!!! Calm down sweetie!!!! You are fine!!! You are doing nothing out of the ordinary. You do NOT have any restriction so of course you can eat a lot of food. Anyone who is not restricted CAN eat a lot of food!!! You really don't have a pouch yet to stretch out, with only one fill, so breath easy!!

Most important thing is, YOU HAVE NOT FAILED!!! This is the band, not bypass. You are not going to drop a huge amount of weight all of a sudden, it will be gradual and will come as you get restriction and can not eat as much.

Bless you heart!!! You are doing just fine!! Stay with it and it will come!!

I'm so glad that I probably don't have a pouch to stretch. That's a huge relief off my back.

I guess I just thought after the operation the weight would come off, or stay the same. I didn't expect to put on any. So I freaked out.

I tend to worry a bit too much. An unhealthy habit of mine. But thanks for your lovely reply. Really put a smile on my face :angry:

Cassandra,

I am in the same situation. I was banded July 14th and have had my 1st fill 2 weeks ago (4cc's) and I don't feel any restriction at all. I lost 13 lbs right after surgery and I have gain most of it back.....very frustrating. Also, I seem to have a bigger appetite than before. I have been told by many people that they did not feel restricted until their 2nd fill. I can't get my 2nd fill until mid Sept. Please keep my informed on how you do with your 2nd fill.

Don't get discouraged, this is a work in progress.

Jane

I will definately keep you informed :sad:

Try not to stress like me!

I was banded on 7/16 and got my first fill 8/19 (3 ccs in an 8 cc band). No restriction and my doctor said during the fluro that the barium went through too fast so I probably wouldn't feel much restriction but since it was the first fill, he wanted me to try it out for a couple of weeks. I have my next fill scheduled for 9/2 so I'm hoping to get more restriction then. Remember, the band is a tool but we also have to work at it too so just because you CAN eat a plateful of food now doesn't mean you SHOULD eat a plateful of food. Having said that, I have overindulged from time to time since being banded but I'm not overindulging myself EVERY night like I did prior to being banded. I'm sure you are also not overeating every day like you did before so cut yourself some slack and relax. Every persons's journey is unique.

I haven't been overindulging every night, but I do tend to eat a lot when I am upset. Comfort food. It's a habit I've had for so long, and after the operation I was rather high and happy. Then I just crashed and haven't been happy, so I've started eating for comfort. Which basically just makes things worse!

I was banded 7/14 an I feel hungry all the time. It's a struggle to eat small amounts. I chew each mouthful 20 to 30 times. I'm losing slowly, but I to feel I may have stretched my pouch because I don't feel any full or restricted feeling. I had my post-op dr. appt. one week after surgery and my next appt. is 9/2. They didn't mention when I would get my first fill, but I hope it is soon because except for mild port site discomfort, I feel the same as before surgery. Sometimes the hunger is painful.

i had my surgery on 7/31 and went from 304 to 274 with no fills doc said i have the small band but ive been at this weight for over a week now so maybe i will get a fill on sept 10 keep the faith you will get there

I was banded on 7/2 and am also hungry all the time. I have a 4cc band and had one cc put in with my first fill. That was 3 weeks ago and I have not lost a pound since. I too can eat way too much. They say it takes at least 2 fills. I will keep you informed but know that others feel your pain LOL.