Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Training Session: Diet, Exercise, Post-op...

I just got back from a 4 hour training session with my Bariatric Nurse, Exercise Physiologist, and Nutritionist. Out of 8 people in the class, I was the only one NOT getting a gastric bypass. I was also the only man in the class. Of course I had different classroom materials with different instructions, timeframes, etc.

I asked about a pre-op diet, and was told that they want me to be on my weight loss diet, but didn't insist on all liquids. They stressed the idea that a "last supper" mentality can cause problems with swollen liver and more waste to pass leading to Constipation. I'm still going to stick to my 2 Protein shakes per day routine and make the best of it.

Getting banded next Tuesday August 26. Only 6 days left.

Bryan

Edited by BDS_Geologist
Too much advanced math education. I can't count or use a calendar anymore

Yaaaaayyyy...we're band buddies! I'm on the 28th :)

I wasn't put on any kind of pre-op diet, but I've self-imposed a 2 shake-decent dinner regimen on myself. I don't want to have the fat liver thing and have to be split open, you know? I know that folks here have lost LOADS of weight on their pre-op diet, but I'll be happy if I can just maintain. We'll see at the Friday Morning Weigh-In!

Men lose faster (note I did not say "easier"), and you are getting banded instead of bypassed, so no wonder your materials were different. Did they say anything that you hadn't already figured out with your own research? I cannot imagine having to sit through 4 hours of that stuff!

A week from tomorrow!

Edited by Lanakila

Did they say anything that you hadn't already figured out with your own research? I cannot imagine having to sit through 4 hours of that stuff!

The only difference was that my post surgical diet won't be just Clear Liquids for 1 week. I can go straight into Protein shakes on the day of the surgery and maintain that for 2 weeks.

I was also on my weight loss diet before surgery and it went really well. I had to do Clear Liquids the day before surgery. It wasn't too bad and I lost 20 lbs!

Good luck with the surgery!

No Lanakila, a WEEK from TODAY! :smile2:

And just six days for you!!!! Can you believe that we are FINALLY getting our turn? We've watched all of our band buddies with a tinge of jealousy and now we get to dance our way into surgery knowing that so many of them have gone before us and will take care of us :wub:

And just six days for you!!!! Can you believe that we are FINALLY getting our turn? We've watched all of our band buddies with a tinge of jealousy and now we get to dance our way into surgery knowing that so many of them have gone before us and will take care of us :wub:

I know how fantastic is it!! :smile2: I am getting excited now!

Plus I only have a day and a half of work left!

I asked about a pre-op diet, and was told that they want me to be on my weight loss diet, but didn't insist on all liquids. They stressed the idea that a "last supper" mentality can cause problems with swollen liver and more waste to pass leading to Constipation. I'm still going to stick to my 2 Protein shakes per day routine and make the best of it.

I think it is smart to stick with your 2 Protein Shakes. My Dr had me on a full liquid diet for a week before surgery and I know it made it easier for me after surgery already being used to the Protein shakes.< /p>

Best of luck with your surgery! :(

Dani

Good luck on your band!