Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Upcoming article on obesity - if you are interested in being quoted, let me know

I am working on an upcoming article about the psychology of obesity, for a popular magazine. If you are interested in being quoted, please private message me.

Specifically, I am interested in:

1. the psychological impact of being obese (personally, professionally, socially)
  2. the psychological impact of losing weight (the good, and the bad - has the weight loss improved things psychologically or has it actually made some things worse?)
  3. the psychological impact of having bariatric surgery (have people accused you of "taking a shortcut"?)

I am looking to incorporate several "stories" into this article. Please send any information to me within the next week. I will contact anyone whose information will be used. If you want to send pictures too, please do.

I appreciate the help - I know there will be some great stories from everyone here.

I am working on an upcoming article about the psychology of obesity, for a popular magazine. If you are interested in being quoted, please private message me.

1. the psychological impact of being obese (personally, professionally, socially)
  2. the psychological impact of losing weight (the good, and the bad - has the weight loss improved things psychologically or has it actually made some things worse?)
  3. the psychological impact of having bariatric surgery (have people accused you of "taking a shortcut"?)

I am looking to incorporate several "stories" into this article. Please send any information to me within the next week. I will contact anyone whose information will be used. If you want to send pictures too, please do.

I appreciate the help - I know there will be some great stories from everyone here.

Just found this article. I had the band in May 2005 and Plastic Surgery at Stanford - four of them the past two years. I now teach Lapband patients on adjusting to WLS. Are you still interestd in my sotry, or is it too late??

Not sure when this was posted, it would be nice if a start date was on the thread. I would love to send you something. Let me know if there is still time.

Not sure when this was posted, it would be nice if a start date was on the thread. I would love to send you something. Let me know if there is still time.

There is still time. I welcome any input you have. Thanks.

Weight loss has helped me so much in that I FEEL like going places and being with people. Not because they might have minded but I did. I also know that I am not going to gain weight.

I do not care that some might think it is a short cut doing surgery. It is a life change. I cannot eat the breads, some of the meats and the amount of food I used to.

The past few months I have become very concerned about the way my body is looking. I noticed my arms are not only hanging but there it looks like wrinkles. My face is sagging all over, especially on my eyelids (difficult for putting in contacts) and around my mouth. My neck is bad. My stomach actually hurts at times due to the skin. I cannot wear shorts because of the skin.

I never thought plastic surgery was a real need for others. Now I hope something will be done to help us with the extra skin and making surgery to correct it affordable.

I am very thankful for the past two years of life with lap band. I

1. the psychological impact of being obese (personally, professionally, socially).

I was banded in March 08. After the surgery I had a really hard time wrapping my head around the fact the I just mutilated myself in the name of vanity. I did get over that feeling and have been working with my band. Sometimes I look at my friends who have been successful with WW and wonder if I should have given it another shot. I haven't really told alot of folks about the surgery because I didn't want to hear their 'take' on the subject and certainly don't want to hear anything if this banding doesn't 'work'. Sometimes I think I took the shortcut. I guess I will never know. Right now it's working for me. It would really suck if down the road 5-10 years I regain/still have the weight and have the band. Some short cut.

Well if you want to talk more PM me.

Good luck with the article.

Thanks to all who replied....I got many many great responses. I will start the process of going through all of them. I will try to incorporate everyone's feelings about the subject.

Ajoneen,

Don't beat yourself up over it. WW might work, might not. I am actually joining tonight just for the extra support in maintaining my weight. I stil have another 30 or 40 lbs. I need to budge.

Dr. Schulman,

I have been banded over 1 and 1/2 years. Reflecting on this whole process I think the hardest part was actually picking up the phone and taking that first step. I was scared, embarrased, down about myself, etc. Even the first time I went to the clinic I found myself looking around feeling really really upset with myself that I had gotten to that point, but it's all good from there. People just HAVE to know you need to follow the rules If you can't follow the bandster RULES this is not for you.

I was shocked to see the receptionist at the weight loss clinic chose bariatric surgery rather than the band. I asked her why? She said she was busy with her life, kids, etc. and thought the band was not the right choice for her lifestyle. I found that very interesting, as she did not have more than maybe 60 or 70 lbs. to lose.