Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you eat on 1st day of solids??

Hi everyone! I just have a question about solids. I've been on liquids (clear, then full) for 21 days since surgery now. Today I start solids. I do not have a fill. I'm just wondering what kind of food to eat? I don't want to mess up and PB on my 1st day/week. Do most foods go down OK since I don't even have a fill yet? I'll take the advice to take small bites and chew, chew, chew. But what? What's a good choice for Breakfast, lunch and dinner? ?? Thanks all! :biggrin::thumbup:

Hi, Getthin,

I'm on my second week of soft foods. My doctor happens to recommend adding one new food at a time, and waiting a day or two to see how you do with it.

My first soft food was a scrambled egg, and I did great with that, but I have a friend with a band that can't eat eggs.

I've had cooked carrots, canned tuna, chicken, and ham, and applesauce.

It's hard to chew mushy food really well, but eating it slow, and not too much (I'm still eating 4 or 5 ounces at a meal) seem to work very well for me...no adverse reactions.

I also do not have any fill yet.

I also have some small, pretty, cut glass bowls that I use for meals. Makes it a little more of an 'occasion' to eat and reminds me that I'm worth this effort!

For the first few days of solids I ate fresh fish, canned tuna, veggies cooked soft and soft fruits. I slowly added chicken around day 4 and fresh veggies, then beef and the tougher foods sometime during the second week. The key is to start slow and easy and once you know for sure you can tolerate the softer foods, slowly add the denser foods.

Breakfast is tough for a lot of people. I can eat eggs but I really am not a big fan. I don't hold myself to just breakfast type foods in the morning. Tuna and chicken are good Protein items and they fill me up so I will eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I ate alot of those flavored tunas in the foil pouch, canned tuna with FF miracle whip, chicken salad made from canned chicken (canned chicken goes down better in the beginning...at least it did for me). Chicken, fish or tuna on a small salad, oatmeal (cooked in LF milk for extra protein) with berries, refried Beans with FF cheese, chili.

Have GasX on hand expecially with bean items. I seem to have gas all the time and it can get painful without the GasX.

Hi There, I liked homemade egg mayo on rice cakes! I am veggie and don't eat fish so it was a good way to get in Protein for me. And it saves really well in the fridge! I can give you my recipie if you like :biggrin:

K X

gyros, is usually either lamb or turkey it is a huge cut of meat put on a spit and cooked, then lil thin pieces are shaved off it and served either with bread as in a sandwhich, or slightly thicker larger pieces are cut off and eaten just how they are. I had gyros that way no bread, it is nice and tender and flavorful and pretty healthy. I love to dip them in Zaziki which is a greek yogurt that really brings out the flavor of meat. YUMMY!!

After reading everyones posts here I have a question, I am 3 weeks post op, (surgery was 7/29. No fill yet, eating mushies for 2-4 weeks, my list says no fresh veggies, only canned, blend everything (which I don't, I just chew real good) No beef or pork either. He wants me still doing 3 Protein Shakes a day and not more that 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food at a meal. I am missing greens (tossed salads) a lot. Has anyone been eating them at this stage, and did they go down and stay down ok? I feel no restrictions, although he said he put in 2 cc's at surgery, so I feel I could eat anything as long as I don't over do it, and chew and eat slowly. I am feeling no hunger at all, and I am loosing weight....I just want a salad!:biggrin:

Thanks everyone! Keep the ideas coming. Armywife, are you Greek (or do you just like the Gyros)? I only ask because I am Syrian (and French). I didn't even think of Gyros. Good idea.