Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WOW..didnt clear psych :(

Well i never thouhgt i was bulemic either... you might be surpised to find you indeed are bulemic. Hate to say that but if you do a lil research you will learn that your behavior (which is just like mine) seems to actually be bulemia. IF you did this behavior a few times in a month.. i think you would find docs to say it is bulemia. Good luck with controlling your issue.

Wow Josy, brave post. Thanks for your honesty. I hope you are prepared for advice to seek the help of a professional on this one! I'm sure I won't be the only one to suggest it. So, what did you tell your doc when you got unfilled? Just that you were too tight?

That's what I see as the biggest problem with the purging is when getting the food up after a binge is so automatic and way too easy. This is not good!

Your best bet, it seems, would be to learn not to binge in the fisrt place. I dunno, but your perspective is valuable on this site and I'm so glad you spoke up.

I didn't realise what I had done the first time. I got a fill after a week of purging. I asked for the fill because I was out of control with my eating. Then about a week later I started throwing up at night. I didn't really put the two together until i binged and purged again a month ago and got the same result. My dr just thought he had put in too much fill.

Its funny you say seek professional advice. I tried telling my shrink this week that I was at risk of becoming bulimic. She made some inane comment about "I thought you weren't supposed to drink with food" and dismissed it. In other words if I wasn't full on into all the behaviours (drinking makes it easier to purge) then I wasn't at risk. I was trying to admit to concerns and get help before it got too bad but she wasn't listening. I don't want to admit to my surgeon cause I'm scared he'll be angry with me.

I'm just hoping that the fright I've given myself and the problems i've experienced with slipping will be enough to stop me. I don't want to give up my band.

Warning: Tough Love ahead...

I have so many things I want to say...let me just list them because I have attempted to post a reply 4 times now and each time I end up re-thinking...

First, thanks so much for posting because Bschucher, and no doubt others, are learning alot about how important it is to deal with this issue before getting banded. It is a habit/tendency/addiction/whatever that haunts relentlessly. Banding does NOT cure bulemia.

Now, I hope that you will do what Bschucher has done and research bulemia well, for your own information. You need to gain some understanding about what this is about. Being frightened about losing your band is obviously not enough to stop you, would you agree?

Okay, shrinks are people, and some people need to be spoken to plainly. It is up to you to be more assertive with your shrink about the bulemia. Say it out loud, say it plainly and clearly. You will not be able to get help from her if you don't SAY IT. Don't infer it, attempt it, dance around it, or say "i think, maybe, I might be, at risk..." That is being dishonest with yourself and with her. There is no "I think" here. No "at risk" or "maybe" here. You have bulemia and are binging and purging and you need help. This is an Eating Disorder that will destroy your health. Banded or NOT! You cannot live this way. Get Help.

If you don't think your shrink can or will or is able to handle this issue with you, ask her for a recommendation for someone who can.

AND just because you don't purge with every meal and don't get thin from purging, does not mean you are not bulemic, in need of help, have a problem, nor does it mean you have a small self-control issue that might, could, put you at risk for losing your band.

I hope that you get a feel for how shocked and concerned I am. This is tough LOVE. I know that I don't know you, only what you have posted on this board, and that does not fully represent the whole of who you are. I know that there is so much more to you than this issue. I hope that you will continue to come here for support. I admit that you may read this and not hear what you want to hear and never come back, and when would I have had the opportunity to urge you to help yourself? So I am saying it and I hope that you are not upset, turned away, whatever.

Be Strong. Be strong for yourself and for others who will come here and read what you say and who will be encouraged, Enlightened, perhaps frightened into seeing the truth about themselves. Your words CAN help others. I hope mine have helped you. I hope others here on LBT will have a message for you, too.

Wow, please know that I will be praying for you. I hope that you will stay in touch! Let us know how it goes, okay?

Hi Kathy

Thanks for the post. Don't worry I'm not offended or scared off. I still don't think I am really bulimic but maybe i'm deluding myself.

I'm always disappointed by my shrink's response to issues that I raise. I don't know why I keep going back to her. She's great for medication but hopeless with talking about anything.

Anyway the main thing I wanted to get across was if you have that tendency you need to get it sorted out before you get banded. Cause it has more implications than just the ones facing any bulimic. Plus, you get into this deception with your surgical team which makes the journey harder.

Thanks Josy, you have done a great job of getting across to deal with the issue before getting banded. Bschucher made a wise choice to bring it up in her psych eval. I wish the best for you, and I'm glad you will continue participating on LBT, and I didn't run you off being too pushy. :) I admire your strength! Keep us posted on how things go for you!

No kidding, really?! Ooops, sorry! Funny how I assumed you were female. I just went and read your intro and a few other posts I had seen but didn't put two and two together. You can bet I won't do it again, now!

Hey, you should go to your User CP and change your "Registered User" to Brian, so other poor folks like me won't feel like an idiot. They'll thank you. And if they don't I will. Thanks! Again, sorry 'bout that! :)

I am a recovering bulimic. I fully admitted it to my doctor who will be doing my band surgery and he still ok'd me. In fact, quitting purging but not able to quit binging led to massive weight gain.

I now have much more control over that demon. I don't binge like I used to but I still tend to overeat.

LOTS AND LOTS of obese women are bulimic. It's not only skinny girls.

For me, my history of bulimia will make the band that much harder. It's going to test the bounds of this demon that lives inside of me. But the greatest part I'm looking forward to is something I read on a blog page for a person who had been banded....they said that having the band made them for the first time that they were in control of food, not the other way around.

The only proven method for overcoming an eating disorder is therapy. I'm here to testify that therapy works but it takes a lot of effort from the bulimic to make it happen. There are a LOT of psychological issues behind an eating disorder. And ED is NOT only about food....it's about SO MUCH more. food is just a symptom.

So as you said in the very first post....maybe this is for a reason. Maybe it's time to face up to some issues before getting banded.

Big hugs to you. You are welcome to PM me if you have any more questions.

wow! this site is great! i havent been banded YET i am still waying things i go 4 my first app with the banding DR on the 27th of this month so i am not even half way there, i pray that all works out 4 u guys. pray 4 me as i will for uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :wub:

Hi, greetings from another purger. I was a full fledged bulimic in high school and college. I conquered it with counseling. I had a relapse six years ago due to marital problems. I only purged a few times and went straight back to counseling. I was completely honest in my psych. counsel. They did tell me my past history would certainly not ruin my chances of lap band but that I would be monitored longer than a person who has not had been a bulimic. I understand the reasoning and I am ok with it although it is difficult going month to month and never knowing when they will see your time has come. I started my journey in December. I have lost 18lbs on the diet. It is only a drawback not the end of the world. Keep fighting the good fight. I completely understand your plight.

Looks like you got the hang of it~~~ Welcome!

Kat

thanks for gettin back to me hurrrray for ur success i am a little afraid being i have never had any surgery! i am sooooooooo tired of tha FAT:cursing:i have tried every diet in the world i lose but i cant maintain please tell me ur story have u had any problems for being banded:lol: