Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WOW..didnt clear psych :(

Well i was crushed today by the phone call from the pre-op psysch eval. I decided to tell the truth when asked if i had any history of purging. I have in the past had issues with it and felt that it might be important to tell the truth on this issue. The psych called me today to say that they would need me to seek further counseling on this subject before they could clear me. I guess i do indeed see their point on this as this type of behavior might be very harmful to someone banded. Oh well... guess my procedure wil be postponed for a while... All for the best i guess.. :(

Well, I'm very glad you told the truth! It will just be a matter of your pshychologist addressing that issue with you properly and getting the recommendations in order before approving you. I'm sure it's all for the best. Purging tendencies are certainly not a good thing with the band. Not that you would purge banded, but if you had ever purged habitually at any point, you need to understand that about yourself so you are better able to deal with banded life successfully. Good for you. Please let us know how it goes and how the psychologist handles it.

I do understand this is for the better. I have habitually done it in the past..so i guess it "could"e an issue after banding. I could sit here and say that I would never do it again.. and hopefully i wouldnt.... but if i did???? I was told by the shrink that she was told this type of behavior could damage my stomach BADLY after being banded.. Its just a lil tough today to deal with this needed setback. How uncommom do you think this type of problem is with chronic overweight people?

I hear Purgers (of any degree or capacity) should consider the gastric bypass if they are seriously in need of a surgery to help in weight loss with morbid obesity..

Bschucher, I am sure others who have had a history of purging simply lied about it to the psychologist. If it isn't a problem, dont make it one, right? But if you are the least bit concerned about this history, better to deal with it before hand. Plus, you have already spilled the Beans, so no lying about it now. You absolutely cannot fall back into that habit even for a day when banded. There is NO way you can live a healthy band life when purging.

Maybe your purging history isn't a long and involved one. Perhaps you purged a few times or daily for a few weeks or months, then quit and never did it again. Just know that the same thoughts of frustration and desperation that caused you to purge before may very well rear their ugly heads while banded.

It is between you and your psychologist to decide whether or not this purging history is a danger to your band health.

Also realize that you may very well be the first person to actually admit this to the Psychologist. Notice that the Psychologist called you to say NO after consulting with SOMEone, right? Keep in mind that the Psychologist is in a position to cover his or her butt on a recommendation, so you are also in a position to tell them what they need to hear to give you that recommendation. Be honest with yourself and decide carefully. If you really think it's posible that the purging thing could be an issue post-banding, then get treatment. If you really thing being banded will help you even more to say no to what you already know is a bad idea and was just a long ago thought anyway, tell them what they need to hear while being honest. Decide carefully.

I can guarantee you that you are not the only one here with a purging past. Maybe someone will PM you about it. Good luck. And please keep us posted. I'd love to hear how it goes!

Years ago, when I was in high school and then after the birth of my daughter, I was bulimic. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to overcome. For years after, anytime I was too full, I would purge - not making myself, just my body was so used to it. I too, thought this would disqualify me from the surgery. I guess I was lucky, as the psychologist wasn't overly concerned, mainly because it had been a few years ago.

I've been banded 3 months now and haven't purged once.

Keep your chin up and good on ya for telling them the truth.

This is a tough one because on one hand we want to lie our way through the psyche exam to pass, but on the other hand it's so important that we realize we can't ever fall back on our old ways. I'm a big binge/purger in the past, but I lied cause I knew it would hold me back. You just have to get some more counseling and convince yourself first, then the counselor that you'll never purge again. But I don't know ANYBODY that purges on purpose after being banded. I think we all do anything in our power to never vomit again. This isn't a toy to play with. Good luck. Keep us posted. And no more purging!

oh man, I could never purge. Thowing up is just the worst thing. Getting the willies just thinking about it.

I don't know how common it is in obese folk Bschucher. The only bulimics I know are both very thin. The woman is almost anorexic and used to be a run way model, and the guy used to wrestle in high school.

Thanks for the replies folks.. I actually do think i might have been the first patient to actually tell her the truth about this type of issue..I actually thought early that there was no way she wouldnt clear me seeing how she worked right in the centers office for them. I am quite thrilled that she did what she did now. I am going to get the counseling i need and who knows.. maybe if i get those issues worked out.. i wont need the banding at all... we all know ultimately its our heads that have to change anyways... I have done a lil online research since my phone call from the psych.. i think i never really felt i WAS bulimic but after all my reading..... it looks to be the case.. Ill let ya all know how it all works out if you are interested. In the mean time im going to get back to the nutrition and plenty 'o' exercise routine again ) BTW.. i have also found out i do indeed have sleep apnea as well.. going for another sleep study tomorrow so they can try some CPAP...

.. Ill let ya all know how it all works out if you are interested. ...

are you kidding?! You had better let us know! I am so glad you are able to address this issue with a professional. Keep up your diet and exercise stuff in the meantime. Perhaps the Band is for you, just later on.

Oh, and just wait till you sleep with a CPAP machine, you won't believe it! My dad, sister, and brother all have them. They say it took some getting used to at first. Several weeks, but slowly, ahhhhhhh, the difference in waking up feeling rested is wonderful!

Definately keep us posted!

Wow, you make me really proud to be able to admit you might have a problem. That's not easy to do. Kudos to you for doing more research on the subject. Inducing vomitting (any type of vomitting) can be detrimental to the band.

Oh, and DITTO to the "AAAHHHH" that Kathy was talking about, because my CPAP allowed me to sleep for the first time in 10 years. I haven't used it since losing 70 pounds, but that's the best invention ever (once you get used to it.) Nice!

Amazing work! I'm really proud of you for making this huge realization about yourself. For me, this is part of the hard work of the band. Coming to terms with things in your head, and maybe more importantly, being able to 'name' them. I think if you can name your demonds you can subdue and own them.

I have a love/hate relationship with my CPAP. I still have trouble sleeping with it and frequently wake in the middle of the night to find the mask flung as far as the hose will go. But I still try to use it everynight because the difference is AMAZING and ASTOUNDING.

Thanks for all the support folks... i really needed that. Kinda odd that ive never told anyone about this really, yet im just unloading on here :(

Wow - this is my first post here. But i've been reading for months!

You really need to come to grips with this issue before you are banded. I would never say I was bulimic but I have certainly toyed with induced vomiting after bingeing at different stages in my life. I never got to the stage where I had to throw up every meal I ate which is why I never got thin with it.

I don't PB as a result of having the band - 8 months now. BUT, i have induced vomiting after eating too much food. I've paid for this dearly. I had a slip back and got to the stage where I couldn't lie down at night without waking up vomiting. Had to get all my fill out and let it rest. I thought I had learnt my lesson and wouldn't do it again. But the last month has been a real struggle. I've binged and purged a few times - and I am suffering for it. I'm trying to do mushy food only to get everything to settle down again.

I havn't admitted this to anyone, least of all my Dr. :nervous I'm hoping that i've learnt my lesson this time and I won't do it again. So the point of this whole message was, work really hard to resolve this before you get the band. Cause it does have an impact.

Josy