Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Constipation was worse than the surgery

Hi everybody. :smile2:Well my last 48 hours have been worse than the surgery and the recovery. :sad:Last Wednesday was almost a solid week after my surgery and I felt like I had to go...you know. Well, I'm in there trying to push something out that clearly does not want to come out. The bad thing is that this went on about 5 or 6 more times thru out the day. Same problem that evening and the next day.:wink2: Finally I went to the drugstore and picked a laxative and took it at about 5:30 Thursday nite. The box said it could take between 6- 12 hours to work. Great that means more of the same BS. Well, about 5 hours later my stomach started to roll and cramp. So I happily and scared, I headed off to the bathroom. Without giving to much detail. It was like I didn't have the strength to get it out. I actually strained soo hard that I guess I got my stomach all tight, I had that cold clammy feeling come up like I was going to toss my Cookies. Then I didn't know whether to kneel at the bowl or sit. Now in the past I've had some Constipation but nothing like this. And usually I just had a trigger food to help it along. ie popcorn, but couldn't do that just 8 days after surgery, let alone maybe never. So to some it up last nite it finally came out with little pushing. And I was left with a rump on fire. Wanted to get in the tub and soak, but was afraid that I wouldn't be able to get out. :blush:Now the bad news, Yes, I did say bad news, like that wasn't bad enough....I think I still have some of that laxative in my system, because now I feel like anything that comes down the ol' colon, thinks it needs to be released immediately. So I'm still running to the bathroom every 2-3 hours with not a lot of results. Now after all of this I talk to a girlfriend today and she says,"OH Susan, why did you take a laxative? Those things are murder! You should have just had some of the Fiber chews and let nature do it's thing."(Go ahead and laugh, if your not already) I know that it's food after 2 weeks of all liquids and the anestheia, but the surgery was like a walk in the park after my experience. Just wanted to share my "Crappy" story. Staying home today to 1. be closer to my bathroom and 2. to relax alittle bit. :lol:

I sure hope I don't have that problem. I fell like if I had to strain I would bust something open at this point.

Just a tip for future, umm..'issues'.. if you are on Clear Liquids, have some apple juice.. if you are on mushies, have some applesauce.. and if you are on real food, have an apple.. it will naturally help with constipation.. also, a tablespoon of benefiber or something of that sort is much easier on the stomach with the same effect. It can be mixed in your flavored water, brothes, anything really..because there's no taste to it. Hope this helps!

I had an experience with Constipation yesterday too... the worst I've ever experienced. Before surgery I put Benefiber in just about everything I cooked but just started on mushies on Wednesday evening and hadn't added it to anything.

Anyway, my doctor tells his patients to use a stool softener and not a laxative. What you are describing will probably keep you in the house all day.

Gycerine suppositories did the trick for me. I really wanted to avoid anything 'suppository' but after metamucil, stool softners, and no results I used one of those and Voila about 30 min. later relief! Now that is the route I go if it happens but luckily my system seems to be reglating itself and getting used to it's new diet.

I really wanted to avoid anything 'suppository'

There is NOTHING wrong with suppositories and there is no reason to be afraid of them or the own behind.

It's actually the much better choice for people with "stomach problems" (aka "newly banded"), because it doesn't have to be swallowed and is no danger for the stomach. I took Paracetamol (Tylenol) in suppository form, but had to order them in Europe.

~Kat

How long did you guys have to wait for the 1st BM after surgery. I am getting worried. I had my surgery yesterday morning and I have not had once since Thursday (3 days ago). I am on clear liquids so maybe that has something to do with it????

How long did you guys have to wait for the 1st BM after surgery. I am getting worried. I had my surgery yesterday morning and I have not had once since Thursday (3 days ago). I am on clear liquids so maybe that has something to do with it????

It's normal not to have a BM especially since you are only on clear liquids. You probably won't have one until you start on foods with some consistency.

Honestly the only thing that is going to get it out is a laxative supository. Go back to the drugstore, get some. go home, pop one up

and wait.....not to far from the bathroom though.. Usually pretty instant.

Drink a cup of apple juice & just wait it out.. I wouldn't do a laxative.. your stomach has already been through enough. Personally, I was banded Monday.. and it didn't happen for me until Friday. Make sure you are taking a Vitamin & getting all your Protein in too.. it's helps!

The pharmacist recommended Miralax but only 1/2 the recommended dose which was 1/2 of the cap full. I took it the 2nd or 3rd day and and it has worked for me so far, but I am still on liquids right now.

I have had continuing bouts Constipation issues since my band in October 2007. Per my doc, I now use Miralax daily. It is too early to tell if you'll need it like I do, but it is the safest long term option if nothing else works. And trust me, I did the super fiber loading thing, lots of fluids, apple juice, and prunes, and nothing... till my miracle of miralax!

I was banded Monday and stayed overnight with an IV of "Lactated Ringer's". The only thing I had by mouth was about 6 ounces of Water over the course of about 12 hours. I had a couple of very loose bms about midmorning Tuesday, and a very small one Wed morning. By Thursday afternoon I took a dose of Milk of Magnesia, as recommended by my surgeon for Constipation brought on by the liquid pain meds. It did the trick within a few hours. Still very loose, but I figured there's nothing solid in there to begin with!

I understand all of your pain. I was on liquids for 8 weeks prior to getting my band. * I had a previous jaw surgery where I could not eat. My system has not been right every since. I have had to use Senokot but I stopped that about two weeks ago and started going to accupuncture, it is taking a while but my system is regulating itself.

I know accpuncture is not for everyone but I have been on so many meds that I just opted for a more natural way. I know it works because I went about three years ago for sever allergies and I have not had a problem since. So for those of you that are not afraid of needles, give it a try, there are no side effects.