Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

about to be banded...and I am so scared

HI

As the date gets closer..I find myself getting more and more scared. I read posts..where people are telling horror stories..I am a self payer..and I keep wondering...is this the right thing? I have had trouble with scheduling.I have had the date of June 9 for a while now..and they have called and are wanting to push it back another week. I had the date of june 9 in my mind and had made so many arrangements..this has added to my stress. I hear of over fills..under fills..and i am two and a half hours from my doc. What will i do? I know..I am sounding like a whiner..but I am scared.

Compared to other surgeries, the lap-band is a cinch! I was nervous too, but a few days out I knew it was the best decision I ever made. The first few days there is some pain in the diaphram and gas pain but besides that it's pretty simple. Trust me, you'll love your band too! :cheeky

About the fills...I am only two weeks out, so you'll have to talk to one of our veterans about that.

Be prepared for liquids for a while!! And lots of weight loss! :banana

i'm feeling the exact same way! I'm being banded on June 10th and today I'm totally freaking out!

I'm so scared!

Good luck to you and I hope that we both pull through great!

The way I dealt with the worries was all the research I did...I found out that this surgery is the least dangerous of them all out the gate...yep, there can be complications and they don't all happen right away. Some have problems a year down the road...doesn't inspire feelings of safety I must say but, I haven't found where anyone died from them.

My decision was really simple, I don't want to be fat any longer if I can do something about it.

This is the best decision I made for myself..and even if somewhere down the road something happens..I only hope I've got at least most of the weight off....

Wishing you both have smooth sailing!

There is not a thing to worry about - except getting yourself healthy.

As for being 2 1/2 hours away from your doc, I lived in the remotest desert in Australia when I had my band. I had to drive 8 hrs on really crappy dirt roads just to get to a supermarket, then my surgeon was another two hour flight from there. But nothing was gonna stop me getting healthy. Don't worry, you will be fine. Life is about taking risks.

Take the risk and be happy or don't take the risk and be wondering for the rest of your life....

Besides, I don't know about over there in US but my surgeon has given me a card to tell emergency people about my procedure, plus I also have several copies (one for each bag/purse etc) of instructions on how to loosen the band if necessary, all this done whilst on phone to surgeon. Now, I have been banded for nearly a year now and haven't needed any of it, and I know I am not the only one....

The nerves are apart of it. Please don't worry. YOu have the support of everyone here.

This is the quotation I used in my Sig when I was at your stage. It helped me quite a bit.

Our doubts are traitors,<o =""></o>

And make us lose the good we oft might win

By fearing to attempt -- William Shakespeare

One thing to keep in mind is that the vast majority of folk who have the surgery have NO PROBLEMS. Support boards can give a skewed view on things because many poeple who don't have any probems never post. I don't konw of any support groups for people who don't need help.

And there are lots of folks here who've had simply great experineces with their band. Lots of us. But is isn't very dramatic.

Yes, going through the emotions is normal. I am three days out of surgery and glad I have taken the steps to improve my life and health. I think of the things I haven't done because of my size or the hastle in plane seats or other things and know that this is the end of it.

Just take a deep breath, take a walk, think about what your life will be like when you lose weight.

My date is june 9th also are you doing a pre-op diet I am not we will be fine what is the alternative being fat all our lives worth taking a shot to improve ourselves

People who undergo face lifts, breast modifications, Lipo suction ect..are much more at risk than lap band people.

My Dr is also a full time ER Trauma Doc and he said compared to what he usually see's this is cake walk. But I agree with you it is still elective surgery and I said the same thing to my self as I was walking thru the hosp. Why am I doing this? This is crazy I'm healthy right now-true I am still healty but for how much longer? I just keeping thinking in my head flashes of my whole life and being over weight (most of it).

I felt like I was at Vegas I said screw it "Lets Roll"

I did the same thing as Chicagoboy (and many others) and walked around saying, "what the hell am I doing, I must be crazy. This has got to be one of the stupidest things I have done." And wondering if I was testing fate, or teasing God, or using up my last life (like I'm a cat?), or pushing it too far, or taking advantage of God's goodness to me, or SOMETHING like that. I made it back, and the jury is still out I suppose. I didn't die during or after the surgery, I'm not at my goal weight (oh, it's only been 7 weeks!) and so far I have no slippage or erosions...who knows but I stepped forward and did it and No Regrets so far. I'm thinking it will be okay.

My surgery date is June 8. I am scared as well. I have never had any surgery before. I am sure we will all be fine and loving it afterwards.

I am sure we will all be fine and loving it afterwards.

You sure will!

Being scared and nervous is normal, you wouldnt be human if you werre not experiencing these emotions. Three months from now you will be grateful for your band :)

Magnoliamiss Are you from Mississippi? If so what part of the Magnolia state are you in?

Good luck on getting your band!!! I've had my band a little over 2 months and I love my band!!!

June Future Bandsters....It is completely normal to be scared and nervous before surgery, especially before elective surgery. I think it would be abnormal if it didn't bother you. I have to admit that I was scared and even have several "what if I die" conversations with my husband. In the end, I decided to go for it. I did try to convince my mother-in-law to keep on driving the day of the surgery though...the beach in Ensenada seemed so much more appealing...go figure...haha.

As far as being freaked out by what you are reading, I dealt with that too. I came to this site before I was banded but personally, I found it to be too overwhelming. I stopped reading before I was banded and then returned to the site afterwards. That was just my decision and my way to cope with the stress and fears. Vinesqueen is completely correct in saying that you can get a skewed view of things on a board like this because the people that have no problems or issues won't post.

Good luck to you all. Try to distract yourselves and do things you enjoy. For me, that included several "last suppers". Despite your fears, know in your heart that the decision you have made is one that will positively change your life forever.