Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op pain med

Hi all,

After you had your surgery and were home safe and sound, what type of pain medication did your doctor give you? My surgery is scheduled for Aug. 27 (Yippee!!) and I am trying to make sure I have all of my ducks in a row. I am assuming that the prescription is written as a liquid form?

Also, is there a place on this forum that gives recommendations for things I should have at home post surgery (I have heard a heating pad, etc).

Thank you all so much!

ks

:teeth_smile:

My dr gave me Percoset, but in pill form not liquid. Good luck with your surgery. I only took one pill after I got home. Only pain was gas.

I haven't had mine yet, but they've already called in scripts for liquid Lortab that we need to go pick up sometime before the surgery.

Also, a neat Phenergan compound that comes in a tube-like syringe that we have to squirt onto our wrist and rub in when we feel nauseous! It soaks through the skin into the blood stream and is supposed to work in 10 minutes.

I forgot that I also came home with a motion sickness patch behind my ear. I think it really worked too, because the anesthetic usually makes me really nauseous.

My surgery is tomorrow. The surgeon advised he would be sending me home with a prescription for something that begins with a "C".. but it's not Codeine.. and I can't remember the name. When I come home on Tuesday.. I'll follow up! Thanks!

I have Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in liquid form.

Each 15ml dose is 500mg of Hydrocodone and 7.5 of Acetaminophen.

I wish I can say that I haven't been using it, but I have...a lot. At first I was trying to do it only every 4 hours as directed, but have since started taking it when ever it hurts to get up.

I'm currently 3 days post op.

Hello, My name is Leisa from California. I just came from a seminar in Fremont today. I lost 15 pounds since I saw them last which was 2006. I was supposed to get the gastro bypass then but I couldn't lose the 30 pounds( and I wasn't too sure about that surgery, they didn't offer the lap band at that time.) So, I'm back again this time for the lap band, I have my one on one with the surgeon in 2 weeks and will try to lose as much as I can by then so they'll schedule me soon! They did try to scare me today, I think they are in favor of the bypass instead of the lap band. Telling me the pain of the adjustments, sometimes several times a year, how the band could slip. I know there are risks but I feel this surgery is the right one for me. I just want to hear from everyone about the pain after the surgery, how they feel when eating, how much they lost, just everything there is to know and talk with people that have experienced it. For those about to have the surgery, good luck, hope it goes just fine, I'm happy and excited for you! Hope to hear from someone. Thanks...Leisa

My doctor sent me home with dilaudid. I am allergic to percocet and codeine. It was sent home in pill form and I had no problems taking it. I was in quite a bit of pain the first 4 days due to my port incision becoming infected. I did not have to gas pain that is so common amongst everyone else. I hope everyone has a successful surgery if they have one coming up. I would do it all again in a heartbeat. Good luck everyone!!:teeth_smile:

Now I am nervous! Not banded yet but my doctor said I will only need (get) liquid tylenol. I hope it is strong enough. Good luck and congratulations on your surgery!

Hello, surgery is tuesday for me. Sure hope they load me up with scripts for pain meds...not one for pain!!! :scared2:Debbie :teeth_smile:

My doctor sent me home with dilaudid. I am allergic to percocet and codeine. It was sent home in pill form and I had no problems taking it. I was in quite a bit of pain the first 4 days due to my port incision becoming infected. I did not have to gas pain that is so common amongst everyone else. I hope everyone has a successful surgery if they have one coming up. I would do it all again in a heartbeat. Good luck everyone!!:lol:

OMG! I wish my doctor sent me home with dilaudid!!!! I took liquid Lortab and it helped...a little. I swear the pill form is more potent. My doctor wouldn't refill the Lortab for me, and gave me a joke of a pill called Ultracet. It was like taking candy...did nothing for me.

I do have a suggestion for gas pain that really works. I did this after my c-section and the band and I was very surprised. Drink only lukewarm liquids. Don't chew ice or drink cold Water. I swear it worked for me!! I don't know why, but it did. I had mimimal gas with both surgeries and it certainly wasn't painful.

To Leisalips in CA...I was terrified to go in for my fill. I begged them to numb the area but they said there was no need for it. The nurse said that I needed to find something else to worry about. So, I laid there on the table, was breathing heavy, and...felt nothing! I didn't even feel the needle go thru my skin! It hurts much worse to have a shot in the hip, or an IV, because the port is under the skin and the needle doesn't have to pass thru and muscle. As far as band slippage, I have only heard of that happening to a couple of people, and it seems to be the early bandsters, or people that didn't follow the appropriate diet and vomited a lot. I personally know several people that have had the band and none of them have had severe problems. On the other hand, I know three people that had the RNY bypass, and two of the three have had serious complications and continue to have them. It seems as the long-term research is coming out, the band seems to be the better and safer option. Personally, I highly recommend it! Some people may disagree with me though. Don't be scared. Research the options for yourself. I did over two years of research before I finally committed to the band. :thumbup:

It depends on your surgeon. The better surgeons do not cause a lot of trauma during surgery and there is no pain. If your surgeon has a morphine drip waiting for all his patients in recovery, I'd be heading to a better doctor.

This is not major surgery, this is a lap band. If you need mega pain killers after surgery, you might have a problem.

I just came home today.. surgery was yesterday. In the hospital, I was given an anti-botic through IV to keep infection away internally. I was also given Protonix through IV to help with the gas. That seems to be the worst part so far.. that, and the sore throat I got from some meany who wasn't careful with the oxygen during surgery. Morphine was available, but only if I asked.. and so was Vicodin (pill form)..again, only if I asked for it. At discharge, I was given a script for Vicodin, if needed. Today, my biggest incision, close to the belly button, it a bit tender, but that's about it. Overall, I'm just relieved to be on the other side of the banding now. The weight loss journey & organizing my new lifestyle is the main focus.