Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just curious if anyone has been feeling "anxious" shortly after surgery? I'm 2 weeks post op and have had this intense anxious feeling that comes and goes throughout the day - it's horrible. Makes my heart race and a nervousness goes through my entire body.

I've been talking with my sister and she had an idea that perhaps because I can no longer "medicate" myself with food - I'm feeling anxious about not having that "tool" any longer. I haven't had any situations where I felt that I needed to gorge myself to feel better as I had in the past - but, perhaps she's right...just knowing that when that situation does come up - how will I now deal with it?

Has anyone else had this feeling and if so, what do you think it's from? Does it ever go away? Also - what did you do to overcome it?

Thanks so much for your help!

I didn't have it after this surgery but I did after another surgery about 6 months ago. I was told it is a side effect of the anesthesia/surgery and my body was reacting to a change. Hang in there, it gets better.

I'm sorry your feeling that way, its horrible to be on the edge like that for any length of time. Make sure you keep up communications about it with you doctor so that it doesn't go on any longer then it needs to.

Non professional guess would be that its been too long for it to be anesthia. Are you taking a new multi Vitamin?? Take note of when it feels the worst, and how long it lasts. I have suffered with this since I was a teenager,, I am just now getting a grip on it..

suggestions:

slow deep breathing, in and out 3 times,, take a break and try it again (do to much and you get dizzy lol)

try doing something that makes you feel calm,, reading, sewing, walking whatever your interest are.

Life has changed for you and it is terrifying I'm sure. We all have huge expectations of how we want things to be, but it will be hard work to get there.

Hope you are feeling better soon..

I had a bit of anxiety after my surgery. I was so ready to lose my weight. It took me time to relax afterwards. I had to get my head in shape before I could my body. I had to think of a healthy program for me and then when I was up to it, then I started putting the program in place. Now, two months later, I am relaxed, and I down 30 lbs and into a exercise program, eating a lot less. Hang in there and be kind to your body.

YES!!! I know exactly how you feel. About 2 weeks after surgery I started having these "fluttering feelings" in my chest that were leading to anxiety, and I was really grumpy. I went on chat, and after talking to several different people, I realized that my body is adjusting to less sugar, less caffine, less food, and recovering from surgery. It is getting better every day. Hang in there. If it does not get better, mention it to your doctor. He might give you something to settle your nerves until your body adjust. Good luck!

Have you thought about going to talk to your primary care doctor? It definitely sounds like anxiety (I have that - but happy take meds and feel oh so much better!)

Your sister is probably onto something about the food.

If you think about it, food raised your seritonin levels and calmed you down before probably without you noticing it. You may have (in the past) eaten even before you were hungry, but it was close to 'eating time' so you may have just shrugged it off.

Plus if you snacked 'tween meals you gave yourself that consistent subtle fix you needed.

JMHO.

Big hugs:heart: Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for the advice and partnership - I feel better!

I've always been a planner - so, I love your suggestion CSummer about getting a plan together - I think if I have a plan to follow, it will help me feel like I'm in control.

All of you are great! Thanks for the well wishes, too! Just got back from a get-together with some of the people I work with - coming home and logging on tonight has definitely given me some direction! Love this site!!

Thanks again!!!

I'm just curious Jules, were you on any diet or liquid before your surgery to get use to eating less. I too get anxiety sometimes and HATE that heart racing thing.

...it is a side effect of the anesthesia/surgery and my body was reacting to a change. Hang in there, it gets better.

I experienced the same thing as described above...I also had a ton of energy which maybe part of the anxiety too. My wife couldn't keep me down.

Yes, I was banded 07/28/2008. Ever since I have been home, I have been getting waves of anxiety and feeling very shakey. My heart also feels like it is pounding. I, too, am hoping this will go away soon! Hang in there! :biggrin:

hi! i haven't been having obvious anxiety symptoms as much as mood swings. and i agree, it's food related. i used to be able to eat something to calm me down. now i'm trying not to do that and i feel it. yesterday was particularly bad. phew. my poor husband. i'm hoping as i get my plan together too - that this will level out.

our bodies have been thru a lot with this surgery and all the changes. the recovery from surgery is stressful, anticipating how the band will respond to what we eat can be stressful (for me for sure!) and the difference in food and the impact on brain chemicals all add up to a rocky road for a while until we get used to all of this! hang in there. we are on the right path.

i find i'm not sleeping very well either. i'm more comfortable in bed because i'm smaller but i'm waking up and can't get back to sleep. i think it's all the same thing - this big life change.

take care and be extra nice to yourself when you feel anxious. i've had panic attacks in the past and working hard to keep your mind thinking 'this will pass and i'm ok' will make it a little easier.