Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I have a strange question, but I am freaked out about it. When you went into surgery and they have to intubate you, were you aware of it? And when getting out and they had to pull it out?

Out of everything with getting this surgery, the technical parts are what I am most scared of. Will I breathe ok? Are they going to find anythign wrong with me?

Thanks

Michaele

you should be fine. You should already be asleep when they put the tube in and you will not remember them taking the tube out. When you wake up you throat will be sore but everything will be done.

Relax. Breathe. The will have a team of different doctors that will be watching everything and you will be fine. If they do have to use the breathing tube they will wait unitl you are under (that way you will be relaxed and they can get it in) and then it will be out before you go to recovery so they can wake you up. Let you doctor know what you are worried about and maybe they can help you understand a little better (since most of us are asleep when they are doing this). I have even heard of them giving a mild seditive the few days before so that you don't get your blood pressure up before the surgery.

I was totally freaked out about that too, and that was the ONLY thing I was worried about. They did it all while I was asleep so I never knew but my throat was sore afterwards...not bad just sore and I was sooooooo thirsty.

You will be fine...you'll never know they did anything to you...Everything is done while asleep..they will take the tube out when you are just waking up and you WILL NOT remember a thing...these are all done for your safety....not bec they want to torture you...Smile...relax....

I was well drugged before going into surgery (they had to stick me six times to find a line for the IV). So, I have no knowledge of the tube being put in. The last thing I remember is the mask being placed over my face and the nurse holding my hand. The next thing I remember is waking up in the OR. I do have a foggy memory of the tube being pulled out (I remember a severe gag reflex). However, it was nothing horrible. The tube came out, they started calling my name, and I was rolled to recovery. Relax....they will make sure you are OUT before doing anything.

They will give you a little "feel good" medicine (most likely versed and diprovan). You will count backwards and then wake up..just like that! It is over in a split second!

I have had a few different procedures and don't remember any of that. The operating room is terrifying when you are first rolled in if its your first time, but the nurses are amazing and really take good care of you. If you are feeling anxious while they are doing the pre op prep work they will give you a mild sedative, I didn't like the zophran?, but adavan worked well and I was totally coherent and could communicate with the nurses and doctors.. I brought saline for my sinuses because the hospital is very dry, and chapstick too.. I didn't even have a sore throat and I had an alergic reaction to one of the meds so they had to inubate me..

best wishes to you

Thank you all so much! I feel much better now. My mind gets going (very imaginative) and that is it, I am done.

And looking at the amount of weight lost on your guys tickers, this makes me very excited! You are all my inspiration to get through this! With my husband deployed to the sandbox, it is hard to do this without him, but I will be just that much stronger and healthier when he comes home next year.

Michaele

Been in your shoes, girl! Husband just retired. Was in Iraq and Afghanistan 8 times (as well as Somolia in the 90's). My prayers will be with you and your family.

When I had my tubes tied a few years ago, I remember them saying my name and asking me to cough. Then later in the recovery room, the doctor explaining that they had to intibate me because I started snoring while in surgery!! :thumbup: My throat felt scratchy and dry. Other than that, didn't know anything had happened. Just like everyone else said, you will be fine and not even know it happened to you either.

Best wishes!

the ansthesiologist gave me what he referred to as "a few margaritas" through the iv - essentially a drug to help you relax as you are being wheeled into the er. everything after that was a blur and a non-incident. came to while being rolled out of er - although they told me they woke me up in the er...

Michaele,

We all send you positive thoughts and we understand what you're going through right now, concerning worrying about the tube thing. I was more afraid of that than of anything else, practically. BUT...everyone's right, you won't remember a thing. Not when they put it in (you'll be "out") and not when they take it out. Seriously. Stay brave and you will have wonderful results and will feel great as the pounds go off. And, they will go off. That's the great part of the lap-band. I'm not so hungry as I used to be so that in the past it was so hard to stay on a "diet." Now, I can't eat the amounts I used to, and I'm not wanting to anyway. All the best wishes to you. Let everyone know how it goes, K?

Jane

My DH tells me I was conscious and awake when wheeled back to my room. But I have no recollection of recovery, the ride back to my room, or the transfer into my own bed. I woke up in my room about 4 hours later and couldn't figure out how I got there. It was a little disconcerting, and strange, but I was O U T......