Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long does it take?

Can anyone give me an approx idea of how long the whole process takes? I have just made my first apointment with a surgeon at Greenslopes in Brisbane, and it is for the end of August. From there what other appointments, tests, etc etc need to be done before you get a surgery date? My main problem is that I have an overseas trip booked for November, and am thinking that I will have to put off the operation until next year as by November I probably wouldnt be used to the eating regime etc to be able to head off overseas! I also have no idea how long the waiting time might be...is it usually weeks? months? Any info is welcome....thanks! :ohmy:

Hi, you may find surgeons are different and probably works a little differently according to the surgeon demands, tests you need and the state you live. For me once I had my initial chat with the surgeon in March 08 I needed to have some blood tests and I also wanted to meet with my anethesist (hard word to spell!) I also attended a pre admission clinic at the hospital which was really good. I have just been banded last Thursday 17th July and all is going well so far. I have found this site really good in getting answers to questions etc. You have a 2 weeks liquids and 2 weeks "mushies" (soft foods) before progressing to solids after your operation so depending on your date it may clash with your overseas trip etc. Hope this helps a little. Sim :ohmy:

I've been very fortunate in that I made the decision to have lapband surgery about 3 weeks ago (early July). It took 2 days to get in to see my GP for a referral letter, then called the surgeon to book and was given an appt date of 21st August, with surgery to follow. I contacted my surgeon by email because due to work and uni commitments, I was hoping to get in for surgery as soon as possible. His rooms contacted me and I was booked for a pre-op appt on the 23rd of July with surgery on the 1st of August. So from decision to banded, it will have taken just under a month.

I have done the required blood tests, have completed and returned my hospital admission forms and have paid the gap fee already. All going well I'll be banded in less than 2 weeks.

Maybe speak to your dr first to see what he thinks. I emailed my surgeon simply to ask if it was possible to see him sooner, and why I wanted to, and he was great about doing all these amazing things to accomodate MY schedule instead of expecting me to fit his schedule. You may find your surgeon just as understanding.

Thanks for the replies......I saw my GP last week and asked him about the procedure...he was very very enthusiastic, and mentioned that he had thought about suggesting it to me but thought I might be offended (he has only been my GP for a year) He wrote out a referral straight away....so I already have that taken care of...the money for the gap is sitting there ready as well......so only the thought of fitting it all in with my trip is a concern. I phoned for an appointment with the surgeon that same day and was told the first available date was Aug 29th....perhaps an email outlining my shedule wont hurt......:ohmy:What about these phych evaluations I have been reading about? I know we wouldnt have as hard a time as the Americans, but do we still have to go through that nonsense? Must admit I am not much one for phycologists....see have no idea how to spell it even!! LOL :blushing:

I know that the US members have to do psych evaluations but I have not had it mentioned at all for me to have to do. Just referral letter, blood tests, pre-op appt, then surgery.

I'm actually studying psychology at uni, but would not have been keen to see one for this particular issue either. I think if the US members have to do it as part of their medical insurance approval process. Some of them have to go on a 6 month diet too before they will get approved.

oh dear....Granny has a big mouth or a big foot eh!! :ohmy: never mind...at least you know how to spell it! how about the 2 week pre op Optifast diet? Does that apply to us usually?...yuk...hate the stuff, thats about my worst fear of the whole thing! Now PLEASE dont tell me that it was your family who developed it! :blushing:

LOLOL! No way would me or my family be responsible for Optiyuck! If we were it would taste a damned sight better than it does!

I'm on a pre-op diet of 2 replacement meals only out of my 3 daily meals. I have a normal lunch, and have been enjoying my favourite foods at lunchtime so am not feeling too deprived. But yes, for Breakfast and dinner I'm on Optifast. Some use Tony Ferguson and other simialr diet products, but I am getting used to the Optifast now and still have a box of it, so I'm still having it.

The pre-op diet is pretty awful in the first few days but your body adapts relatively quickly and now I'm finding it hard to eat too much at lunch or I feel ill. I've also lost almost 4kgs since I started it a week ago. I was only supposed to start this Saturday just passed, but Ms Eagerbeaver here started 5 days early, and with the kind of weight loss I've had, I couldn't be happier anyway.

Most surgeons will expect you to do some sort of pre-op diet, whether 3 meals of Optifast or half-n-half like I'm doing. But two weeks isn't that long in the scheme of things. If you have to do it, I (and a whole lot of others on this forum) will be happy to hold you hand while you do it.

GrannyL,

if you are seeing Dr Copp at Greenslopes, then yes, you have to see the psyche and also a dietition. But if you have the gap and you've had health insurance for at least a year, then he'll be able to fit you in to the first available, possibly Sept?

As for the trip, go for it. You can have any fills removed or lessened for while you are away, then come back and have some put back in. You only need approx. 4 weeks after surgery to be back on solids again. At least, ring the surgeon's offices and say that you want to book your op for as close to the first appointment date and would they be willing to make a tentative scheduling for you now? It can't hurt to ask.

I didn't realise that different drs had different requirements. Sorry GrannyL and thanks Sunwyse for giving her dr-specific info, esp since I gave her the wrong info! :ohmy:

Different doctors have different requirements. There are some clinics here that require a person to have the psych evaluation, lengthy pre-op diet and lifestyle education and others where you go to your first appointment and walk out with a surgery date. Talk to the surgeon about your concerns about your trip and they will help you decide. all the best

and ps. I am another psychologist haha

:eek: oh no....Granny is surrounded by 'em!!! :blink:Yep it is Dr Copp that I have the appointment with......I actually phoned his office yesterday and talked about my situation, and have pretty much decided to have my trip first,(and Xmas) then go ahead in the New Year (or when the doc comes back from holidays!) That way I will have 6 months before my next trip to get accustomed to everything.....there was still no mention of a psych evaluation, but the dietition was mentioned......must be keeping the psych one as a nice suprise for me eh!! :unsure:....

:smile: oh no....Granny is surrounded by 'em!!! :tongue:Yep it is Dr Copp that I have the appointment with......I actually phoned his office yesterday and talked about my situation, and have pretty much decided to have my trip first,(and Xmas) then go ahead in the New Year (or when the doc comes back from holidays!) That way I will have 6 months before my next trip to get accustomed to everything.....there was still no mention of a psych evaluation, but the dietition was mentioned......must be keeping the psych one as a nice suprise for me eh!! :thumbup:....

I had about 3 months wait before I was able to get some time off work to have my surgery so I used that time to start making changes to my eating habits eg. eating slower, chewing food more, not drinking with my meals and this all helped me to adjust to being banded.

And don't worry, I have had a number of clients tell me in their first few sentences that they didn't want to see me so I worked extra hard to make the session as painless as possible. :eek:

"And don't worry, I have had a number of clients tell me in their first few sentences that they didn't want to see me"

That's plane rude. Of course they want to see you. Its part of getting the surgery - and they want the surgery right? Well, if they want it badly enough, then you'd think they'd be happy that they only have to see X number of professionals and maybe do a bit of dieting before hand. Could be worse, we could be made to jump hoops and do a weight training boot camp for a week before.