Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is this different from everything else I've tried??

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this site, although I have been lurking for about a week. I have had my initial consultation and have my surgery scheduled for Sept 11. I have about 100 pounds to lose.

Maybe I'm getting cold feet, but I really got to thinking about something. I need to know how this is going to be different from every other time I've lost weight, only to turn around and gain it all back. :thumbup: I lost 60 pounds doing Atkins about 1 1/2 years ago. I kept it off for 2 years, and then gained 80 pounds back in less than a year. :eek:I know that I need to change my lifestyle, and I am 100% committed to doing that. However, I was committed all the other times when I gained all the weight back. I just don't want to spend all that money if it's just another weight loss attempt. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Edited by scubadarz

This is going to make anything you try easier. That said, it's not a magic bullet. I've been banded for 8 months and I KNOW that during that 8 months I would have put on another 5-10 lbs, instead I lost almost 40. I certainly haven't deprived myself of much and I have only recently hit what I would call my sweet spot but I know that without the band I would have been bigger.

Now if you are ready to put in 1/2 of the effort you put into other diets, you know cutting back on sweets, exercising, etc you will lose even bigger and keep it off. If it feels like the band isn't helping, you call for a fill instead of throwing up your hands and grabbing something fattening to eat. That's the difference.

Atkins is the yellow light, the lap band is the red one. You cannot proceed past it or there will be consequences. I wish you well.

Fran

I have been on and off low carbs since 1971 (pre-Atkins!!) and I have lost and gained more weight than I can shake a stick at. I STILL do Atkins -- but man-or-man you just won't believe how much easier it is to stick to with the band. The band is the most wonderful jump start and it's also a great tool for helping in times of weakness. One night I fell of the low carb wagon and made myself a hot fudge sundae with coffee ice-cream with sugar-free hot fudge and whipped cream (and real ice cream!). It was so good I decided to go out to the kitchen and make myself another one. I put 2 spoons of it in my mouth and my band said, "oh no--your not doing THIS!!" I put that bowl down and watched a perfectly good sundae melt. The whole thing went down the sink. Now that is the very first time in 56 years that this woman EVER turned her nose up at ice-cream. The next morning I was right back on my diet and went to the gym. THAT is what the band does for me. What was difficult for me before -- all those years---all those other times---is not anywhere as difficult anymore.

Hi, It's been a struggle every day for me! It's also been kinda easy. There are a lot of checks & balances. Hardest part post-op was 3 week liquids only. You must have your band set right. Easy parts for me was losing morbid handle. Losing clothing sizes. You will get more out of band than you put into it. It's not Rocket science. It's all in your head. Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric band is the book to buy at Borders. 6 months, 119 lost, no fills yet. Just make sure you are ready to change your life for the better. Every pound you lose takes 4 p.s.i. off your joints=tons per year. Good Luck. Tried & gained weight on the other diets. This here is eating properly, Not shoving crap down your face. i could only lose weight with band & keep it off. Hasta Pronto, George:thumbup:

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this site, although I have been lurking for about a week. I have had my initial consultation and have my surgery scheduled for Sept 11. I have about 100 pounds to lose.

Maybe I'm getting cold feet, but I really got to thinking about something. I need to know how this is going to be different from every other time I've lost weight, only to turn around and gain it all back. :) I lost 60 pounds doing Atkins about 1 1/2 years ago. I kept it off for 2 years, and then gained 80 pounds back in less than a year. :eek:I know that I need to change my lifestyle, and I am 100% committed to doing that. However, I was committed all the other times when I gained all the weight back. I just don't want to spend all that money if it's just another weight loss attempt. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

You know the way u feel is normal... I researched bypass...and the band for more than 5 years but was scared to do it... But I decided to just do it.... and I can tell u this is one decision i have not regreted as of right now... I stay fuller longer and can't eat as much as i would normally eat and sometimes it pisses me off...lol.. because i am so use to eating ALL of my food... like we all are... but I have 5cc's in my band thus far and I am scheduled to have another fill on this comming thursday so at that time i will be weighing in......:thumbup:...lol.. but one thing i can say is that I can see myself loosing inches from everywhere... Now I do workout also because I want the weight to come off faster, and I know I can do it because like u said u did it before... It is a tool and if u work it... It will give u great results in return.... August 15th will be 3mths and I will post some pictures then but I am in a size smaller clothing and things are going great... One thing i can say is people that have lost a lot of weight are not on here that often... and i couldnt figure out why but I find myself not being on here that much right now either... because of me working out and such... but I hope u are successful in whatever u choose to do.....

George, you crack me up! I absolutely LOVE to read your postings. Straight from the hip...I like that. I ordered that book you are always touting. I can't wait to get it. And I simply cannot believe that you have lost all that weight with no fills. Amazing! You are truly centered. I hope I do as well as you. So far, so good. Chow!:scared2:

Thanks for your post,it made my day. The book is a gold mine . It is Everything You Need to Know Before & After Surgery to Lose Weight Successfully. I hope you review this book on this thread. Good luck on surgery. Your ready! Give a shout when your out. Kiss the pounds goodby. Hasta Pronto, George:shades_smile:

I think one thing people need to know is you wouldnt have the band working for you for up to 6 weeks post surgery. Some patients get a small prefill at the time of surgery, but my surgeon was dead set against that, so I didnt. I came out of surgery hungry, but on Clear Liquids. Im AM (edit) on mushy food. No tacos allowed!!! I can have a spoon full of the meat, but not the shell. 4 weeks of this is a long time, a month looking back doesnt sound bad until you are here doing it. Some doctors want to wait until up to 6 weeks for the first fill and then most say very little restriction, takes on average 3 fills to get to where the band is stopping you from eating, up until then its mostly will power.

Im down almost 10 lbs since my surgury, but its been all will power and not eating real food.< /p>