Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crying after apt today

I agree with what has been said . . . if your doctor thinks you need to lose weight before surgery for your safety, then do it for your safety.

But doing the sleeve? That sounds more like a confidence issue -- like maybe he thinks you can't stick to the lapband rules? I don't know much about the sleeve, but I know that if a doctor recommended it to me, I would have gone straight to another doctor. I wanted the band and that was it. Only you can really answer that question and only you can know if the doctor is right about your abilities to follow the lapband rules.

If you go to a doctor you are asking for his advice. If he gives you his opinion...the thing you are paying for, why would you go to a different doctor?

In this case the OP didn't know much about the sleeve. It's a GOOD thing that he is telling her about her options. We need to know about all our options.

With a band you will average 1-2 pounds weekly. With the sleeve you will average 2-3 pounds weekly. With a band you will average 50-70% of your excess weight. With the sleeve you will average 70-80% of your excess weight.

If someone has a higher BMI they have more to lose, right? So for round numbers lets say that someone weighs 300# and they want to lose 150#. With a band they are going to (on the average) lose about 90#. With the sleeve they are going to average about a 113# weight loss. For a higher BMI a sleeve does indeed make more sense. It will get the person closer to a healthy BMI and by the way, a sleeve has fewer long term risks and complications than a band does.

So why in the world shouldn't her MD tell her about the sleeve? I'd be angry if I got one procedure and after it was all done and over THEN the doc told me about the rest of my options.

I would say get another doctor! The sleeve is not a good idea. It takes off part of your stomach and you never get it back. You can reverse the lap band, God forbid but you can, because it does not injure you inside. Not so the sleeve. It's a rediculous suggestion! Try another doctor for a second opinion before you let this guy do your surgery. Find a doctor whose done thousands of these surgeries. Go for experience, nothing else. Good luck!

I would say get another doctor! The sleeve is not a good idea. It takes off part of your stomach and you never get it back. You can reverse the lap band, God forbid but you can, because it does not injure you inside. Not so the sleeve. It's a rediculous suggestion! Try another doctor for a second opinion before you let this guy do your surgery. Find a doctor whose done thousands of these surgeries. Go for experience, nothing else. Good luck!

Actually, it's a pretty good suggestion and long term a sleeve is safer than a band.

A band can do one heck of a lot of damage to your stomach and your esophagus.

Why would you want to reverse a lap band? The only reason to remove a band is because the band itself is causing problems. For what reason would you care to regain your excess weight?

I was simply pointing out that a lap band is reversible, no harm done to your stomach. A sleeve cuts off part of your stomach, could never be reversed, and is therefore more risky. Cutting part of your body off because you have abused it by over eating is not a good idea! Further it's more risky surgery and it's more major surgery. There have been many complications with the gastric bypass; now they have modified that and called it "the sleeve". My doctor won't even go there. I wouldn't either.

a second opinion for any surgery is the smartest thing to do. then research both surgeries yourself and decide which one you prefer for yourself. i wouldn't bash any weight loss surgery that worked for that person. because being obese is the real killer.

Well you have definately got a point there, obesity is the real killer and the worst thing of all, although you do live with whatever your choice is for the rest of your life too. But whatever it takes!

I was simply pointing out that a lap band is reversible, no harm done to your stomach. A sleeve cuts off part of your stomach, could never be reversed, and is therefore more risky. Cutting part of your body off because you have abused it by over eating is not a good idea! Further it's more risky surgery and it's more major surgery. There have been many complications with the gastric bypass; now they have modified that and called it "the sleeve". My doctor won't even go there. I wouldn't either.

No, you are in error. The sleeve and the bypass procedure are two totally different procedures. Bypass is not something I would ever do. Too risky, too much potential for complications.

The sleeve is safer than banding. The initial surgery risk is a hair higher than with banding, but long term the sleeve is 10x safer than banding. With banding you can slip, erode, dilate your pouch, dilate your esophagus, port pain, port infections, esophageal spasms, esophageal motility issues, etc. None of that with the sleeve. This is why the sleeve is less risky than the band.

Your stomach is most certainly not protected from band problems, erosion is risky business, same with serious slips. Reoperation is not exactly rare where it is for sleeves, very rare. Your stomach builds tons of adhesions and scar tissue after a band, it is not the same at all.

Why would you want to reverse a lap band?

I think it is a good thing that people have all their options available to them, don't you?

My husband is in the Air Force so all of my medical treatment is done at the base hospital. Every time I go I end up seeing someone different...I am shocked at how many PCM have little to no knowledge about the lap band. I usually end up explaining it to them and how it all works...

I would get a sleeve in a heat beat if for any reason I had to have my band removed. So what if it's not reversible. In my opinion, that's a good thing. Why would I want my weight loss reversed? There are no intestines bypassed, you just have a smaller stomach. In essence, that's what the band is doing. The only difference is the band is a foreign device stuck inside me. It has the risk of slipping or causing problems to my esophagus.

We will just have to agree to disagee on this one. I think your sleeve is way too new a procedure, too untried and has many possible complications you are not listing. For me it came down to this. My physician, Dr. Spiegel, can do all the surgeries, but he focuses only on the lap band, which he considers to be the safest and most effective surgery available. He no longer performs the other surgeries at all because he does not think they are nearly as good or effective for people. I'm with him. I agree with you in that it's good there is something that can work well for everyone out there.

As far as why would I ever get a band removed -- well initially when I thought of getting the lap band done I thought you would get it, loose the weight, then have it taken out. Dr. Spiegel told me differently, and now I understand, but the idea that I can go in and get it taken out and my body is still intact inside is a comfort to me I guess. I like that. To each their own!

Most importantly is we are all letting go of obesity, and that is the most important thing of all!

We will just have to agree to disagee on this one. I think your sleeve is way too new a procedure, too untried and has many possible complications you are not listing. For me it came down to this. My physician, Dr. Spiegel, can do all the surgeries, but he focuses only on the lap band, which he considers to be the safest and most effective surgery available. He no longer performs the other surgeries at all because he does not think they are nearly as good or effective for people. I'm with him. I agree with you in that it's good there is something that can work well for everyone out there.

As far as why would I ever get a band removed -- well initially when I thought of getting the lap band done I thought you would get it, loose the weight, then have it taken out. Dr. Spiegel told me differently, and now I understand, but the idea that I can go in and get it taken out and my body is still intact inside is a comfort to me I guess. I like that. To each their own!

Most importantly is we are all letting go of obesity, and that is the most important thing of all!

Gastrectomies have been done since the 1800s. Not exactly new. For weight loss, that's new. Since about the 70s, longer than the band.

Cheers.

Gastrectomies have been done since the 1800s. Not exactly new. For weight loss, that's new. Since about the 70s, longer than the band.

Cheers.

I think that which ever people feel more comfortable with is the best option for them. This is why they have different options to begin with, just like diets, WLS isn't a "one size fits all". I think you are both right. I want the band and am going to get the band, then again after research, the sleeve also sounds good. There are pros and cons to every WLS whether you are removing things from your body or adding things, there is always going to be a risk. I think it is good that we have a place like lapbandtalk.com to talk about our personal opinions and experiences. Sorry to sound cheesy here, but like I said I think you both have valid points and think it is awesome you are talking it out.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Do what feels right to you and what you feel more comfortable with. You will be happier in the long run even if that means working harder to get there. We didn't gain this weight over night and whoever thought it would be easier to lose weight with WLS was dead on wrong. <o:p></o:p>

Sweetie, God is good and everything happens for a reason. Put yourself in the best possible situation to allow your doctor to help you. Granted, I only have to be on Clear Liquids pre-op and I'm about 1/2 way through and trust me no enjoys good food as much as I do. But I truly believe that this is a mind over matter deal. This is just the first step to a better more beautiful you! As for which procedure to have, ask your doctor why he believes the sleeve will be more beneficial than the band, but ultimately the decision is yours. Be encouraged! God Bless!

Actually, I went to a seminar and came home and cancelled the lapband procedure, I was that much more impressed with the sleeve.

Im not sure why someone would claim the lapband is more tested. Both have been approved in the U.S. about 5 years. The sleeve has been in use in the U.S. for at least 30 years, for stomach cancer and when they need to remove part of the stomach.

Actually both can be reversed. The lapband, builds up scar tissues, so its not as easy to remove as it is to put in and in a healthy person the sleeve can be reversed if you have a good surgeron, per a very excellent gastric surgeon. I think Ill believe him before some anomouyous poster. What is true is the sleeve hasnt been used as a weight loss surgery as long, what isnt true is that this procedure is less tested and been in use a shorter period of time.

I did change back to the lapband, because I feel Im not that overweight, and it might help me manage keeping the weight off better in times of stress.

Actually, I went to a seminar and came home and cancelled the lapband procedure, I was that much more impressed with the sleeve.

Im not sure why someone would claim the lapband is more tested. Both have been approved in the U.S. about 5 years. The sleeve has been in use in the U.S. for at least 30 years, for stomach cancer and when they need to remove part of the stomach.

Actually both can be reversed. The lapband, builds up scar tissues, so its not as easy to remove as it is to put in and in a healthy person the sleeve can be reversed if you have a good surgeron, per a very excellent gastric surgeon. I think Ill believe him before some anomouyous poster. What is true is the sleeve hasnt been used as a weight loss surgery as long, what isnt true is that this procedure is less tested and been in use a shorter period of time.

I did change back to the lapband, because I feel Im not that overweight, and it might help me manage keeping the weight off better in times of stress.

The sleeve cannot be reversed, it is forever. But at this stage of the game I want forever. The excess stomach is actually removed from the body so there is no going back. That's what I like about it, I don't want to regain 130#. ;o)