Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill was today - it SUCKED - bad!

I am so sorry to hear that so many have trouble getting their fills. I either am the luckiest bander when it comes to fills or the doctors at my hospital are magical.....

My port is located over my ribs, in front, under the breast on the left side. It sits exactly where the bra-band rides. It is just below the skin. I have had 5 fills so far in the almost one year that I have my band. The doctors don't always use the fluoroscope. Even when they do, it's after they have inserted the fill needle - without numbing me. There has been only one time where the doc didn't get it on the first try - it took 2 times... not bad at all.

The needle stick is almost painless as he only has to get through the skin to get to the port. I have sometimes wished my port was located elsewhere because it does stick out a little when I lay down.... but after hearing all these problems with fills, I think I am very happy the way I am!

Had to share my experience with you. Not everyone has a hard time, and I 'm sure there are many of us who don't have a hard time. We tend to hear more about problems... when everything goes well, we tend to not say anything....

The band has been my best friend for the last year and will be for the rest of my life! As with any friendship, I expect to have small issues with it from time to time.... but with hard work and dedication it will stay a good relationship!

Good luck to all on their journey to a healthier, happier thinner you!

Katja

Gigem, were you supposed to get your fill by Dr. Spivak in his office and then they sent you to the surgery center instead? I was supposed to get my first fill by Dr. Spivak last Thursday and they rescehduled me for a later time that day then called me back to try and send me to the surgery center and I said no, I want Dr. Spivak only so I'm supposed to go see him next Tuesday but I don't want to keep playing this game and have them keep pushing me off because I NEED MY FILL NOW..... I FEEL LIKE I CAN EAT AN ENTIRE COW!!!!

I finally got my first fill after a second attempt. They numbed the area and it was fine...thank god.

Unfortunately, no difference. No restriction! They only added 1cc though!

My port is pretty easily accessible and I can feel it just under the surface and I have had 3 fills with relative ease. The Physicians Aid that does mine is pretty cute girl so I dont mind her touching me anyways. She only does 1cc per visit and I go every 2 weeks until Im at my sweet spot. Yesterday i told her I was not happy with the past 2 weeks since I actually gained a pound so she did 1.5cc so Im at 6.3 in a 14cc band. I feel more restricted now and going back in 2 more weeks.

I have my first fill scheduled on Aug 21st and now I'm so terrified after reading all the horror stories!! I also have a nurse doing mine. Can anyone tell me what fluero is? I definitely gonna have her numb me first.

I have had 3 fills so far with no issues at all, and they are being done each time by one of two nurses on staff. I was told though my port is an easy find which I knew since I feel it all the time. They always have me lie on my back and lift my head, they feel for the center of the port and then stick and only once did they have to pull out and stick again. I don't have a problem with needles which I could see being a problem for alot of people, I grew up getting weekly allergy shots so needles are no issue for me. I had my lapband surgery on 23 April and have not actually met face to face with the doctor since my 2 week post op and the nurses are just awesome and so friendly and informative. Once again my whole journey I feel like I have been blessed. I will say this weeks brought me up to 6cc's and I have felt a little restriction this go around, maybe my next fill on the 29th will be my "sweet" spot.

Hi neighbor! I'm in Puyallup.Where did you go for your fills? Any chance it was NWWLS in Everett? Thats where I got my band, by Dr Michaelson.

Hey! I had my first fill yesterday, but first I have to comment.....

About all the nurses feeling offended - come on! The poor guy was turned into a pin cushion! He was upset and blowing off steam. Haven't you ever said "I could just KILL him!" It doesn't mean I am really contemplating premeditated murder (or manslaughter for that matter!:() But when I read it, I didn't for a moment take that comment at face value. I never thought he REALLY meant all nurses are bedpans! However, given that other people were bothered by it, I am glad you made the clarification.

Anyway, I had my first fill yesterday and I wasn't expecting it at all. It is a follow up appointment and I had my surgery four weeks ago. So I went in and talked to her (she is a PA). She was very happy with my weight loss and the fact that I wasn't hungry between meals OR snacking, but she said that my portion sizes were too big. She wanted me at 1 cup a meal (although the choices of food were fine apparently). She said I was in the hazy area between yellow and green. So she decided to give me a 3cc fill to add to the 3ccs they had in the band when it was placed during surgery.

So I lay down with a pillow in my lower back to help present the port. My port is half way between the bra band and the waist line, lined up under my right breast. It is pretty close to the surface, so it didn't seem to be a problem. She felt around (pretty deep too which was a little sore but not terrible) and had me so a crunch sort of, then found the port and used a marker to mark the exact position of the port. Then she cleaned the area and gave me a shot of lidocaine. She waited a few minutes to let it numb up and then put the needle in the port, which I didn't feel at all. She withdrew the 3ccs in the band and then injected 6ccs (the original 3ccs back in and the new 3ccs) all without removing the needle. It felt VERY weird. I don't know how to describe it. It didn't hurt, but you can feel it inflating sort of. I don't know, but it is an odd sensation. I hadn't eaten lunch yet and I was pretty nervous and I am a big baby, so the combination made me almost pass out. Not from pain - just from being an idiot! :thumbup: So I was already lying down and took deep breaths to calm down.

Then she sat me up by pushing the back of the table up (so I didn't have to use my abdominal muscles and get myself up) with the needle still in. I just studiously avoided looking at it. I got a cup of Water and took a few sips. She asked me if I felt like it was not going down or stuck or like it was sitting in the back of my throat. I told her none of the above, but she was starting to sound like she was coming from far away and I think I am about to pass out now. They quickly laid me down and she took the needle out. Again, I want to be very clear that there was no pain involved at any time!

After some time, a cold washcloth and some apple juice to get my blood sugar up, as well as a wonderful and sympathetic nurse! - I was feeling fine and able to leave under my own steam. I was a little achy the rest of the day and my left shoulder hurt again (it had been a problem right after the surgery) but today I am feeling great. I am comfortable with eating less and not hungry, so it's working! :(

I have no idea what Barum room or whatever is - I don't know whether that is good or bad! Also, there is no way I would have done that without a numbing agent - but I am a baby. Finally, I have a strict "three strikes" policy regarding any needles. I will give you three reasonable attempts to give an IV, shot, or draw blood. But if you can't get it after that, I send you out and tell you to find someone more competent. Which, by the way, is often NOT the doctor! Many times the nurses are much better at sticks because they do them all day every day, while doctors often leave that task to the nurses. Just my personal experience. Good luck on your next fill! :biggrin2:

Sorry this is so long!!! :)

OMG>>>I'm freaked out now! I asked people at my office and they always say the fills don't hurt! I'm thinking they're sticking your stomach w/ a needle, how can it not hurt. Saw some fills on youtube and doesn't look too difficult, but not what I'm hearing here. YIKES!!! :thumbup:

I also went for a fill this morning and came back fill-less! She froze me by needle which was a good thing because 50 pokes later she still could not find it! Now she has me worried that maybe its lying on its side so it looks like I have to go for an X-Ray now! I hope she was just out to lunch and was poking in the wrong place because if I have to get this corrected....! Wish me luck!

Wow, i'm sorry to hear all these painful stories. I've had 4 fills so far and none of them have hurt. In fact, i barely even feel anything. I've never used anything to numb me either. I feel a very very light prick and thats it. Sometimes it feels a little weird when they pull the needle out but never any pain.

I got my first fill day before yesterday and it went fine. I could have gone earlier and had a nurse do it but I opted to wait to see my doctor and he did it quickly and painlessly. Afterwards we did a barium swallow with the fluro and he said it looked like I will need another one (3 ccs in 8 cc band) but he said since it was the first fill he wanted me to wait a couple of weeks to see how it felt before getting another fill. I have my second fill scheduled (again with the doctor) on 9/2 which will be done under fluro as well.

OMG>>>I'm freaked out now! I asked people at my office and they always say the fills don't hurt! I'm thinking they're sticking your stomach w/ a needle, how can it not hurt. Saw some fills on youtube and doesn't look too difficult, but not what I'm hearing here. YIKES!!! :wink2:

I have heard horror stories too, but everyone is different. I had my first fill yesterday. My friend was banded 2 weeks before me and she said the fill didn't hurt at all. I thought she was just trying to make me feel better. I went in there expecting some pain. I was wrong. I didn't even feel the stick from the needle and she (PA) had to do it twice. It just felt weird. She put 2 ccs in and Water stuck after I swallowed, so she stuck me again to take 1 cc out. The band-aid, however, hurt when she pulled it off.:cursing:

Hi all! Good news for me....After the fill-less Saturday I had I ended up finding another lady in the city where I live who does fills. When I laid down she found that my port was harder to find and the needle wouldn't go in again. So then she tried when I was standing up and Poof it went in, just like that! No problemo! I am soooo happy and this time it didn't hurt a bit! I got 1 cc and am feeling enough restriction with it. Feeling great with my lap band....Tash:thumbs_up:

You know what Tonka'smom when I first had it done and she froze me it hurt more then when I was left unfrozen. The nurse told me she doesn't usually freeze because that needle tends to hurt more. If they find your port right off the bat you shouldn't have a problem. I will also always stand up from here on in, it is so much better! I hate needles and you can't see a thing standing up, lol!

Secret. Yes, my doc does have me do something wierd to find the port, although you can feel it pretty easily. I lay flat on the table. He gives me a topical, then I get a lydocaine injection. He waits, then he has me push my stomach out and bear down like I'm having a baby. My port pops right up to the surface. First quick stick and it's in. I've never had to go through a series of sticks thank God. My doctor does it himself EVERY time. He doesn't allow his nurses to do it. He puts in a good fill while I'm drinking Water through a straw held by the nurse. When the water starts to back up, he stops and slowly takes some back out until the water goes down easily. I rest for a minute and then drink some more water. If that goes down, he takes the needle out. Then I sit up for 5 to 10 minutes and he has me drink some more water. If that too goes down, I'm free to leave. So he triple checks. So far I've never had a problem, and I've had 4 fills and one complete unfill.