Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saggy Skin question

I know everyone asks about this but I couldn't find a thread about this.

I am expecting to get it but hopefully I won't. Any suggestions?

I carry my weight in my hips/thighs/bottom and not to much above my waist.

Hey liquidbluegal,

I just wanted to introduce myself b/c I noticed we had a few things in common. I am 27, my highest weight was 235 and my goal is 140. I was just banded on June 13th. I will be getting my first fill on Monday and very excited about it. I've lost 11 lbs in the first 2 weeks after surgery but haven't lost anymore since. I am worried about the flabby skin also but think the best thing to do is exercise. I am joining the gym tomorrow. Do you know if you are allowed to have alcohol with the band?

Nice to meet you,

fntasa98 (Jessica)

Here's a post I wrote a few days ago. It was regarding poor posture as people lose weight with the band, however it also addresses your saggy skin question.

I know exactly what you're writing about! Many of us not only have poor posture as it is near impossible for those small muscles between our shoulder blades to hold up all the weight we put on -- esp around our breasts and belly. All the years of being overweight put those posture muscles into a dead zone. Never really working.

I have found a solution: **Pilates!** 2 months after I was banded I walked into a local pilates studio and pre-paid for 4 lessons per week for the next 6 months. (Jan- June 2008) It cost me an arm and leg -- literally! It is expensive, but worth it to me to tone my body into a long and lean ballerina figure. Everyone is shocked and amazed at my body now. I am not only thinner (due to band) but toned and strong (pilates). I also believed it has prevented me from eventually needing to seek out a plastic surgeon to deal with loose skin. Granted, I started out as a lower BMI (36.5) so that is a factor too, however I have been able to tone as I lose weight... not just melt like a candle.

I also believe that cardio makes me hungrier. Pre-banding I ran 3 marathons and just ate more after each 2+ hour training run, despite trying weight watchers simultaneously. I am done with cardio as I now see how well my body responds to pilates. Much more strong than cardio.

The biggest change with pilates is how much my core is strengthened, and thereby my *posture*. I look 10 lbs thinner just by standing up with a strong and lean posture. It's amazing.

Now, I attend a pilates studio which is about $30 for a small class session or $80 for a private trainer session. It's worth the expense to me, however it could be replaced by a dedicated user of Pilates DVDs and a Magic Circle DVD. Magic circle is versatile pilates prop.

Pilates DVD:

Pilates Media: DVD Video, Pose books, and Music - Gaiam [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Winsor-Pilates-Collection-Sculpting-Accelerated/dp/B000KCUBH0]Amazon.com: Winsor Pilates 3 DVD Collection (Ab Sculpting, Bun & Thigh Sculpting, Accelerated Body Sculpting): Mari Winsor: Movies & TV[/ame]

Magic Circle:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JWLZAI]Amazon.com: Stamina Pilates Magic Circle with Workout DVD: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Thanks!!! I do excerise so that shouldn't be a problem. As for drinking...my doctor said it is fine...just be careful because it is empty calories.

so pilates really works? I tried yoga and walked out...I have the attention span of a 3 year old! hehe Thanks!

MY saggy skin problems are my arms. My arms are so out of proportion with the rest of my body that I would look much thinner if my arms were thinner. I work out and lift weights and it helps - I've lost 4" in my arms since April - but it will take surgery only I believe to really take care of it. My girlfriend (who is the same height as me) was 80 pounds heavier then I, lost her weight very quickly, and now weighs as much as I do but yet is smaller. ?? People are so different! I just feel like I'm packing Jello in my arms!!! :)

I was always bigger on the bottom and my saggy skin is mostly in my thighs. It's fine in jeans, capris and longer skirts.....won't catch me in a mini skirt any time soon though.

I am having a horrible time with saggy skin on my stomach. I have lost 90 pounds since October and my stomach hangs alot. I have 30 pounds left to go before goal and I will need to fix that.

Truth is I knew I was going to need it anyway, because I believe my stomach lost all the elasticity in it when I was pregnant with my second daughter. She weighed 12lbs and was 24 inches long at birth. Nothing like giving birth to a toddler to really do a number on your figure!

The other problem I have is my breasts - I lost alot in them they are now like long tube socks with something in the toe. that is pretty depressing!

My thighs and arms were able to bounce back pretty well though!

Ouch! I could never imagine given birth to a 12lb baby! Congrats! My son was 6lbs and I was dieing. I dont care alot of weight in my stomach but do have left overs from being pregnant. I amjust concerned with my thighs, but I rather be healthy and hanging then morbidly obesity and tight.