Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Affects of Lapband on sleep apnea

Does losing a large amount of weight have a dramatic affect on severe sleep apnea? I attend my first orientation soon so it will be awhile until I have surgery. As one who suffers from severe apnea and can't tolerate CPAP I am curious as what results to expect from being banded. My BMI is 40.3.

The band has helped me alot . I don't feel like I need my C- pap nearly has much . Ihave losty about 60 lbs. and can tell the differance. Good luck Paulk

My sister had by-pass surgery & good weight loss. She no longer uses machine. I was banded & have sleep apnea. i take ambien cr. I have lost 119 pounds in 6 months since band. Sleep is getting better with weight loss. I have not used machine. Some of goals are to lose 50 more pounds. Lose the sleep apnea. Get off the non-narcotics==narcotics,:cool2: that i been on too long. The band is giving me that chance. I'm learning that sleep has every thing to do with obesity. I try to get 8 hours sleep a day, it makes a difference. Hasta Pronto, George

I did a sleep study a year ago, at the request of my wife. Diagnosed with sleep apnea. Got that damned machine, tried it for a week or so, got zero sleep. Hated it. Gave it back.

Got banded one month ago today. Have lost 35 pounds (28 since the surgery). Wife said snoring stopped completed about 10 pounds ago...

I am sure your mileage may vary, but it worked for me!

:cool2:

All true replies. Everybody is different. The thing is (and I'm a registered sleep therapist) that the biggest risk factor for sleep apnea is the build of your airway...much bigger risk than weight. Now, for some people, their sleep apnea is totally weight related. For those people, the weight loss can mean resolution of sleep issues. For most everybody else, the sleep apnea problem will probably still linger to some degree.

I've said it before, but some of the worst sleep apnea cases I've ever seen have been people that are maybe 110 lbs soaking wet.

Thanks everyone for the information. I was diagnoised with sleep apnea about 15 years ago and I recently again tried to use CPAP. I still haven't been able to overcome the panic attacks when wearing the mask. I am now using a dental appliance and have reduced my AHI from 49.7 to 27.3. My desats went from a low of 72% to 86%. I am hoping once I get banded and lose weight that I can eliminate the need for any mechanical help to sleep. Again thanks to all.

I'm still taking Ambien C R. I been taking it a few years now. I guess they go thru easy. I don't have any restriction. I take B-complex & a multi seniors Vitamin pill. Also a large neuro -ps pill. I'll have to change the way I do things if I ever get a fill. I have tried to go without ambien but cannot sleep. The hardest part of the band & ambien for me is staying away from food. Ambien alone will cause me to mindlessly eat. I try to be careful. Hope this helps. Sleep has a lot to do with weight loss, I'm just now learning. Hasta Pronto, George:thumbs_up:

Does losing a large amount of weight have a dramatic affect on severe sleep apnea? I attend my first orientation soon so it will be awhile until I have surgery. As one who suffers from severe apnea and can't tolerate CPAP I am curious as what results to expect from being banded. My BMI is 40.3.

The band and the 45 I have lost thus far have had an amazing effect on my sleep apnea! Getting the band was worth it for that alone! It has also taken me off the borderline diabetes line.

All true. I packed the sleep apnea machine away once I lost about 50 pounds. The only time I dig it out is if I have a few drinks as that makes me snore. Got to keep the wife happy.

Well I just finished the 4 hour orientation class and I think my head is going to explode. So much information to absorb in such a short time. I am glad I got a binder filled with all the information. Most of it I already knew from people on this forum discussing their experiences. The good news is I am still 100% committed to losing the excess weight. I was committed three months ago when I asked my PCP for a referral and I am today just as determined to get control of my health.

Now for the BAD news. I may NOT be allowed to have the lapband surgery. I have severe sleep apnea and the Kaiser prorgam mandates you be 100% CPAP compliant for two months before the surgery. In all the sleep studies ( I have had over ten) that I have done in the past 15 years I have never gotten past the panic attacks I get using CPAP. I am using a dental device that has improved my numbers a great deal but I need to lose some serious weight to gain complete control of my sleep apnea. I don't really know yet where I will go from here except to keep pushing my PCP and Kaiser to help me help myself. I am not ready to give up just yet. Wish me Luck.

Edited by Papahemi
typeing mistake

I am one of the fortunate ones who did not have to use a cpap machine once I lost about 60 pounds,

I was Dx with sleep apnea when I was 21yo. I had throat and nose surgery then, but I still had enough sleep apnea that i needed a cpap although it was not nearly as bad. I used the cpap for about 4-5 years and then just quit and snored but I was told it was not that bad. I was also alot more active and about 60 pounds lighter.

About 5 years ago I started having depression and way high blood pressure So i got restarted on my CPAP. I found the Nasal Pillows were the most comfortable and did not cover my face so much so not so many face creases and removing the mask in my sleep.

Now, over the last month, I have lost about 25pounds:drool:. When my cpap is not available, my wife says my snoring is not so bad. She also says I have not been having the gasping in the sleep that is associated with sleep apnea. I have had more energy and less of that foggy feeling that is associated with build up of CO2 from not being able to breath. No Migrains either.

As the Liturature always says... weight loss is good treatment for sleep apnea....joint pain....depression.....high blood pressure....bla, bla, bla

nuff said:thumbup: keep up the good work, I'll catch up with your soon.

It is great to hear that others are seeing the positive effect on apnea. I was diagnosed, but could not get stand the CPAP. With 40 lbs gone for good (almost half way there!), the snoring and gasping have largely gone as well. Blood pressure down as well, and sugars moving into more normal range. Go Band!