Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having weird thoughts post op

What was your MENTAL behavior after surgery? Be HONEST  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What was your MENTAL behavior after surgery? Be HONEST

• Excited, but nervous....confident in your decision
    • Couldnt have felt better...peaches
    • Worried all the time with Panic with the fear of someting going wrong
    • No Feeling at all
    • 2cd Guessed your decision

Hey guys, If it wasnt for this site I would know what I would do. Please dont mind my constant threads but, I need to vent. I am 4 days Post op now and thoughts like this is coming into play.

I just got overwhelmed with the feeling of second guessing myself. Did I do the right thing? "This is forever", is really sinking in I think.

My main concerns are my health. For some reason I am very scared the last few days. You know.

Did anyone go thru any of the weird paniky thoughts like this? I really cant believe I am second guessing my self. God, this sucks. I wish I could snap out of it.

I really need some support right now. I keep asking my partner, Are you proud of me? Do you think I did the right thing? Will everything be ok regarding Blood Clots? Etc.

Please advise

Originally posted by POWERWING

"This is forever"

I'm pre-op, so I have a feeling I'll be working through the same thoughts myself.

That being said, the fact that it is forever is what excites me the most. After what seems like endless attempts (and some successes) to lose weight, nothing worked forever. Although I'm sure I'll have doubts along the way, I'm most excited about having success forever with the lap-band.

Originally posted by POWERWING

"My main concerns are my health"

I know you're having some initial pain, but long-term, your health will most definitely improve dramatically as you lose weight. I think you've made the wisest decision a morbidly obese person can make. Best wishes.

Bob

well at 4 days post op i definitaly had those why did i do this to myself!! thoughts... they quickly passed when the pain and gas passed...lol.

now at 5-6 weeks...those thoughts are completely gone it must have been the anesthesia!! because the thought of living fat or not living at all are not things i want to consider.

My immediate postop thought: Are you sure they did anything?

Month 2: Why did I bother? I'm not losing ANYTHING.

Month 3: My doctor refuses to fill me...maybe this is why the band won't work.

Month 4: Now that I've gone to Mexico and had a fill, holy crap, this thing really works! It wasn't a myth!

Month 5: I might really make it to goal.

Month 6: This is staring to become the BEST decision I've ever made for myself.

Now, here I am, 3 years later....

This was the best decision I ever made for myself.

Even though I was excited but nervous right after surgery (that's how I voted in the poll), I was also HYPER aware of every little feeling, every little pain... worried that my band had slipped, etc. The first weekend after I was home (I worked that whole week after my surgery the Thursday before), I was SO SO SO sick - super nauseous (although not actually throwing up), and in lots of pain. I do believe this was from going to choir practice Thursday night (1 week after surgery!!! DO NOT DO THIS!!! LOL).

But after that horrendous weekend, everything just got better and better. Now, nearly 8 months out and 60 pounds lighter, I am still certain that this is the best thing I could have done for myself.

It has been mostly smooth sailing for me, and very gentle. I have struggled with port discomfort, though, and I believe I did slightly tear the port from its anchorings in late July. Do not keep stretching when you feel that port resistance! lol I was in agony for two weeks. Now I feel my port sticks out more than it did, and I am hoping it is not flipped. I will have another fill no later than Oct.11, so will find out then...

Hang in there, and don't worry about second guessing yourself. If it really DOES turn out to be the wrong decision for you, you can have it taken out, but I think that will be very unlikely.

Take a deep breath, try to relax, and enjoy the ride as much as you can!