Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you tell me the name of the test they give you before surgery?

Guest BikiniBeachy

Guest BikiniBeachy

They said I need to have my esophogas tested since I have GERD. I have already booked my blood work, psych, nutritonal and pulmonary....

They gave me a lot of information and I've called the office back about a million times so I am hoping one of you can help tell me what the name of this test is or the type of DR that administers this test so I can book it, thanks.

Guest BikiniBeachy

Ah yes I have seen that around before...does anyone know the techincal name for the procedure? I need to search anthem.com for doctors who do that.

It is called an "Upper GI" to most of us, but what I understood from my Dr.'s order was that it was an "Esophagram" and "Fluoroscopy" with a Barium Swallow. My test was indicated because I have had reflux in the past, and my surgeon was probably trying to detect a hiatal hernia. My test went swimmingly, and no hiatal hernia was detected. Yay for me! It's really not a big deal; good luck with it! :thumbup:

Take care,

Sarah H. :biggrin2:

Guest BikiniBeachy

Thanks. I'm not scared at all...just a little desperate to find out how to schedule it I HATE my insurance, I wish they would help, but I called and they had no clue.

So now I know it's a Upper Gastrointestinal Imaging ...but still no providers on the site showing where I can schedule it.

I got a catscan of my neck and throat recently, I wonder if that will count ? I might just wait and see if whatever he is looking for could be shown in the catscan I already got.

Guest BikiniBeachy

thank you thank you gayle! That is what the lady kept saying "EGD" and when I asked the insurance about it, the woman said "It's pronounced EKG sweetheart..." UGH I wish I didn't sound like a 12 year old on the phone :embaressed_smile:

An ECG/EKG is an electrocardiogram, which basically is a graphic display and printout of the rhythm of your heart. Check out this link for some more info. on it. I hope that helps! Good luck finding the resources you need. I basically just called my local hospital (that works best with my insurance) to schedule all my pre-op testing. Your surgeon's office should be able to tell you at least one or two places you can go to receive your surgery.

-Sarah H.

you want a gastroenterolgist

It is called an endoscopy when they check your esophogus and your stomach area. Now I am not sure if you are talking about a test where you would drink chalkie stuff or the endoscopy where they insert this tube and can take biopsies. They have to sedate you for the endoscopy.

Guest BikiniBeachy

AUGUST ALLSTARS!!! how CUTE....Hopefully I can join? lol. We'll see.

Thanks for all the responses, looks like I got it booked. I called a gastro in my network and booked a consult. Once there, we will contact the surgeon and see if he wants to barium swallow or the full-out IV sedation tube thing (let's hope not)

You guys are so wonderful when I nee help, thank you.

The all out iv sedation was easier on me than the barium swallow thing. That left me seriously constipated for a week after and horrible tummy trouble. So my dr's just go to the EGD for me. Unfortunately mine showed some bad stuff (hiatal hernia and barretts esophagus.)

Good luck

My experience tells me that an esophagram/endoscopy combination procedure is indicated when a patient has had serious reflux/heartburn issues, such as when damage to the esophagus is suspected (patient suffers painful swallowing, etc.). This is really the only reason that your surgeon/dr. would ever want to do an esophagram, as it is definitely a more invasive procedure, and potentially has more side-effects (such as effects coming from having anesthesia, etc.). Just a tidbit for ya'.

I hope you get your surgery in August!

Best,

Sarah H.

I didn't even have to do the barium part. I just had an esophageal scope. Took all of 10 minutes, was only slightly uncomfortable, and everything went well.

My doctor said that when there is a history of GERD, they want to see if there is any scar tissue, or narrowing. Just know what is happening before they get ready to put the band on.

Oh, and my surgeon did my scope. Gave me a good insight into her bedside manner. When all was said and done, she was so gentle as she wiped the drool from my cheek! Very comforting...