Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post surgery...pounds dropping like mad...bad thing?

HELLO! I am just about 1 week out from my Lap-Band surgery...and I have already lost like 15 pounds.....its scaring me a little...anyone else have that experience? I mean, I am on a liquid diet this week I know, but thats a LOT! Not that I am complaining...dont get me wrong...its just scary...maybe its the 19 year old metabolism finally deciding for the first time in my life that it will work? WHO KNOWS!!!

ALSO...I AM STARVING!!!!!!!!!!!! My stomach is in pain from grumbling all the time...i am on liquids so they arent doin much for me! Who knows..ha ha.

Another thing...anyone have WEIRD BURPING? Maybe its my new way of burping with the band...but it hurts! I can like...HEAR and FEEL a burp coming up....then its just a tiny one...but its happening all the time...maybe I am paranoid....any input on anything in this thread will help!

THANK YOU

Josh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

event.png

weight.png

Band Date: July 9th, 2008

Surgeon: Dr. Jeff Baker

Insurance: Medica

Heaviest Weight: 315.5

Current Weight: 275 lbs.

Goal Weight: 190 lbs.

Freedom is only a word until it is upheld by the roots of its meaning….. GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE JULY BANDSTERS!!

Hi Josh!

First CONGRATS on your lap band surgery. You will love having the band!

Your concerns are typical for your stage of the process. First, the rapid weight loss is terrific. And yes, it's fast but great! You being a guy, 19 years old and on liquids are all contributing to your fast loss.

As to being hungry, I'm afraid that happens to all of us. Your tummy is healing fast and the swelling is going down from the trauma of the surgery. The band has no fill in it yet, so that's why you're starving. Make sure you keep sipping your Water throughout the day...

As for the burps, they are a bit worrisome at first. That they hurt? I never had that. You might want to call your doc and have him reassure you that it's ok. I get a bit of a gurgling noise now that I have really good restriction. Sometimes, I think we trade one noise for another just to keep this all interesting! LOL

Make sure to check the forums, they contain a lot of information about the experiences of us all. There are no dumb questions. We all have been uncertain from time to time if things are going normal.

I wish you lots of luck on your journey to a healthier you! Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.

Katja

That is so awesome Josh! I have surgery on the 29th. I cant wait...I hope to loose as quickly as you are! Your on a great road to recovery! :tongue_smilie: :tt1: :eek: :wink2: Debbie

Depending on what kind of post-op nutrition plan your doc or nutritionist gave you, you should also be getting lots of Protein. That should help fill you up. The very beginning is rough, but hang in there. You'll be fine. Personally, I think this stage of the game was the hardest it ever was for me. But I didn't even feel any hunger until about 2 weeks out and even that was minor.

Hi- Im new to this too ! I had my surgery on Friday and Ive had a lot of pain and discomfort as well- Ive put it down to general post op wind that wants to come up and cant! I usually get it when i go from sitting to standing .i did take some wind ease tablets and it has helped. The spasm pains have felt better today. Keep up the good work , Im looking forward to getting on the scales, I lost 13 lbs on the pre diet, so hope its a little more x

Hi Josh, congratulations!! You're doing so well!

I was banded on June 23rd and you're describing my experience exactly. Quick weight loss, feeling starved, and the wierd burpy thing all happened to me. I'm not a Dr, so I can't say the burps are normal, but I can say that you aren't the only one who's had them!

It sounds like you're going to do GREAT on this, best wishes!!

The burping is coming from the gas that was placed in your stomach to expand it during surgery. When they extract it out, it doesn't all get extracted and so you have air bubbles that cause some to burp. Some people can even feel them in their necks, I was told. Some people even have a lot of shoulder pain due to these bubbles being removed as you are healing. It's a good thing, so nothing to be worried about. Congrats. on your fast weight loss.

same burpy thing happening here...I can only hope it ends soon.

Hi Josh,

I am starting to experience the hunger feeling. Im not getting the burping effect but I am having hiccups. What are you doing to satisfy that hunger? I was wondering if it's ok to drink more than 3 meals a day?

I'm also dropping pounds pretty quickly. But our calorie consumption has also been drastically cut, so I think it's pretty normal.

Congratulations on your banding! :embaressed_smile:

i am 14 days post surgery lost 15lbs pounds already. i only had the clear liquid diet for fours days. then i moved to full liquid. when you get there you will feel so much better. make sure you get Protein. it helps so much. but for warning, go purchase benefiber now! i am so bloated and backed up it feels horrible. i was reading post today from veterans saying benefiber was the best. i'm headed to the store today. good luck to everyone. Seattle Sweetie great job on the weight loss. you are only 1 week a ahead of me, how did you lose so much?

Thanks Fluff! I'm feeling really good and motivated. I'm 3 weeks out and I've only lost 17 lbs since surgery (probably because I've eaten a lot more fattening cream Soups in the last week or so than I should have, when I started getting really desperate and hungry). The other 29 lbs I lost on my low-carb diet that I had to do for 6 weeks before surgery.