Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

first fill, bad deal

I had my first fill done last month. It was a miserable experience. I went to a Dr. Lewis in Albuquerque NM. I don't want to sound dramatic, but I am just now emotionally able to talk about this in a public forum. He was touted as a lapband expert...my first instinct, when his assistant slammed the balance bar on the scales at super speed (no way that balance had time to record a weight), and then showed me in to a store room filled with junk and jugs of distilled Water, was to walk away. My daughter, who also was banded 2 months before me, had accompanied me. She literally had to push junk out of the way to find a place to sit. The assistant set out an autoclaved needle and 3 way stopcock, a couple of alchohol pads and a multidose vial of saline. I remarked that for the fee being charged, they should have been able to use a new, sterile needle and supplies. No one explained anything even though I said this was my first fill at least twice, and no one seemed at all interested in my records I had brought along. When the "doctor" came in, he didn't introduce himself, didn't acknowledge my daughter, and seemed bumbly and sort of out there. He said I weighed more than I did before I was originally banded (in April, and my clothes and scale told a different story) and told stories on other banded patients that "never lost any weight". He couldn't find my port, stuck me repeatedly, told me that I would know if he missed it when the needle hit my muscle wall and hurt...and God, that was the only thing he had right. All the while, he was mumbling about how on earth he was expected to find a port through all this fat, how doughy and lumpy my fat was, complaining about other patients that were so fat. He said I was so fat I should have had fluoroscopy to locate the port. I told him I had wanted to have fluoroscopy but was assured he was very good with locating the ports with my BMI. He was horribly sarcastic, told me to look around and see if there was a fluoroscope there. I told him I would have had it done under fluoroscopy but didn't know if there was anyone that would do the fill without a local surgeon. I had driven almost 400 miles, had no options for a fill in my home town, and did not want to return without a fill. To make a long story short, he grudgingly wrote an order and sent me to what turned out to be a really good experience. He referred me to El Camino Imaging Center (505-998-3089). I am not the crying kind, but it was all I could do to hold it together. I was humiliated and disgusted with myself, and didn't think I could stand any more degradation.

It was a totally different experience. He wasn't even close to where my port actually was, it was easily palpated once they got away from the area he insisted it must be and they used, gee, sterile, new supplies. They actually cleaned the site with betadine, not alcohol pads. They checked the restriction with barium, made me stay and drink water to make sure there wouldn't be any swelling or issues, and treated me with respect. They told me they did band fills frequently, had written protocols on getting the correct restriction, and would do it for any banded patient with an order from their doctor. It doesn't have to be from the surgeon, only the personal physician, and they are very, very professional. The problem was it cost me another $473.00 on top of the money I had prepaid for the quack. In retrospect, it was worth it. And, the company that I had prepaid refunded my money when I told them about the experience. I have no quarrel with that company, they were professional and extremely concerned about the experience, and I continue to thank them for providing an avenue for after care for those of us that don't have access to a local doctor.

So, those of you in New Mexico that are floundering around, looking for a fill provider, I truly recommend this imaging center. I strongly advise against anyone ever setting foot in Dr. Ed Lewis's office.

My restriction has been excellent. I am still not losing quickly, but it is steady, and I am happy.

Thanks for listening.

Wow, what a horrible picture you painted here. I would definately take steps to report this doctor to the state. It sounds like he should have his license taken away... it makes me wonder if he's really a legit doctor.

Oh boy, there is NO WAY I'd let anyone stick me with a needle that wasnt new out of the packet. Surey that's not legal? It certainly isnt here.

I wouldnt go back, that is really really dodgy. I'm sorry it was such a bad experience. What right does he have to make you feel bad about being fat? Why on earth does he think you are there?. For reference, fluoroscopy fills are not routine here, the fills are done just in the doc's office and most competent doctors can find a port, whether the patient is fat or not.

sounds like you had a horible exsperience and that is horrible for a fisrt time fill, my firt three whent well , it was my forth that my doc had a hard time finding the port, i shouldnt say finding it just getting the center of it and a good inseriton into the port, i was a little sore after that one, but it sounds like you finally got some one to do a good fill and i am happy for you,

i had my first fill done last month. It was a miserable experience. I went to a dr. Lewis in albuquerque nm. I don't want to sound dramatic, but i am just now emotionally able to talk about this in a public forum. He was touted as a lapband expert...my first instinct, when his assistant slammed the balance bar on the scales at super speed (no way that balance had time to record a weight), and then showed me in to a store room filled with junk and jugs of distilled Water, was to walk away. My daughter, who also was banded 2 months before me, had accompanied me. She literally had to push junk out of the way to find a place to sit. The assistant set out an autoclaved needle and 3 way stopcock, a couple of alchohol pads and a multidose vial of saline. I remarked that for the fee being charged, they should have been able to use a new, sterile needle and supplies. No one explained anything even though i said this was my first fill at least twice, and no one seemed at all interested in my records i had brought along. When the "doctor" came in, he didn't introduce himself, didn't acknowledge my daughter, and seemed bumbly and sort of out there. He said i weighed more than i did before i was originally banded (in april, and my clothes and scale told a different story) and told stories on other banded patients that "never lost any weight". He couldn't find my port, stuck me repeatedly, told me that i would know if he missed it when the needle hit my muscle wall and hurt...and god, that was the only thing he had right. All the while, he was mumbling about how on earth he was expected to find a port through all this fat, how doughy and lumpy my fat was, complaining about other patients that were so fat. He said i was so fat i should have had fluoroscopy to locate the port. I told him i had wanted to have fluoroscopy but was assured he was very good with locating the ports with my bmi. He was horribly sarcastic, told me to look around and see if there was a fluoroscope there. I told him i would have had it done under fluoroscopy but didn't know if there was anyone that would do the fill without a local surgeon. I had driven almost 400 miles, had no options for a fill in my home town, and did not want to return without a fill. To make a long story short, he grudgingly wrote an order and sent me to what turned out to be a really good experience. He referred me to el camino imaging center (505-998-3089). I am not the crying kind, but it was all i could do to hold it together. I was humiliated and disgusted with myself, and didn't think i could stand any more degradation.

It was a totally different experience. He wasn't even close to where my port actually was, it was easily palpated once they got away from the area he insisted it must be and they used, gee, sterile, new supplies. They actually cleaned the site with betadine, not alcohol pads. They checked the restriction with barium, made me stay and drink water to make sure there wouldn't be any swelling or issues, and treated me with respect. They told me they did band fills frequently, had written protocols on getting the correct restriction, and would do it for any banded patient with an order from their doctor. It doesn't have to be from the surgeon, only the personal physician, and they are very, very professional. The problem was it cost me another $473.00 on top of the money i had prepaid for the quack. In retrospect, it was worth it. And, the company that i had prepaid refunded my money when i told them about the experience. I have no quarrel with that company, they were professional and extremely concerned about the experience, and i continue to thank them for providing an avenue for after care for those of us that don't have access to a local doctor.

So, those of you in new mexico that are floundering around, looking for a fill provider, i truly recommend this imaging center. I strongly advise against anyone ever setting foot in dr. Ed lewis's office.

My restriction has been excellent. I am still not losing quickly, but it is steady, and i am happy.

Thanks for listening.

wow im so sorry u had a bad experience some dr. Should not be in practice! Im glad u were able 2 find a better dr. And have a much beter experience thank u 4 sharing your story with us and i pray that you have gd experiences from now on. Gd luck on you future weight loss!!1

wow chicky that was terrible of him, you should go back and kick him in the netherlands. Im sorry you had to go thru that, but i am glad you found a good place to do your fills

Gosh, I'm really sorry you had to experience that. As people of size, we've had to deal with humiliating experiences many times, but you wouldn't think a doctor who treats obesity to be so demeaning. Thanks for sharing and remember, he's the one with the problem. You have integrity and courage to walk a difficult path in wanting to be healthier, kudos for you. Unfortunately, he will never understand. I'm glad you found a place that values you and your journey.

At the very least that guy is an INSENSITIVE BOOB and an incompetant doctor. You should report him....maybe if enough people report him it might save him from really harming someone in the future.

And yeah! For what a fill costs you should ALWAYS have a new needle!

Argh!

(((hugs)))

Sorry you had to go through that! That is AWFUL.

That is one of the most horrible and saddest stories about fills that I have heard! My goodness what an experience! No wonder it took time to talk about it. Who can blame you???

It's over now and you are safe, so good for you.

I am a health care delivery researcher. This is inexcusable!!! One if the WORST stories I have heard. Copy your email into a letter and report this incompete to the state of New Mexico!!! You will be doing a great service to others.

What an A$$!!! I am so sorry you went thru this. It just makes me sooo mad that a person calling himself a DOCTOR can treat a person this way. I think you should have socked him in the gut and walked out. I don't know why we think we have to put up with this kind of stuff just cause this person is a doctor. It is your body and you deserve to be treated with respect and kindness!

I am a firm believer in "What goes around comes around" and one day he will get his. I am glad it all turned out better in the end...try and let go of that bad experience and make sure you report him! I would post his name all over the net so any time somebody googled him this story would pop up.

Robin

I would not let the situation go! I would report him, report him report him!!! There is no reason to be treated so bad let alone the filth that this was to take place!

Anita, that was just horrible, and this so-called doctor needs to be reported to the medical board. Thank goodness he didn't hit the tubing and puncture it, with all of his poking with the needle.

You guys don't know how touched I am right now. I don't get on the computer at home regularly, and when I checked in tonight and read the posts, my heart did a flip flop. I can't tell you how appreciative I am of everyone's support, it means more than words can express.

I am doing just fine, slow but sure, no infection or post SOB trauma, just a low burner anger, and as one of you said, what goes around comes around.

The wierd thing about this guy is that he is apparently a well respected general practitioner, who knows, maybe he is competent with thin people....snork, snork. I think he just represented himself in a false manner to the after care company who was trying to provide a service for all of us. They told me they were removing him as a provider.

Thanks to all of you, you helped so much. anita