Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sorry about the T.M.I., but I just need to know! I went 3 days without having a BM after surgery,and now all of a sudden today I have horrible,constant diarrhea. I was wondering if this is normal. I'm also concerned that the strain will slip my band! Is that possible? How sensitive is the band to this sort of thing!?!?!

I had a very similar experience. The doctor suggested benefiber. If you are still having a problem Monday, I would definitely call your doctor. Call over the weekend if it will make you more comfortable.

I used Milk o Mag for the first two days and had a bowel movement on the second day. it tastes terrible but it is worth it. your body is adjusting to the now rate that things are being put in and coming out the other end. your GI is still waiting for the big bolus you normally give it and does not know what to do quite yet. watch for blood in your stool of course but recognize that you have made a dramatic change and you and your GI will need some time to adjust.

I had a similar experience. You will be fine and your body will work it's way back to a normal schedule.

I was banded 7/10 and had diarrhea start today :) If it keeps up i will call the dr, but I was sort of expecting this :thumbup:

Its definitely normal, I was banded on 4/30 & got exactly the same reaction for the first few days I was home. I worried about the same as you, that the awful churning in my stomach would somehow move the band or break the stitches (as so much emphasis is placed on not eating anything which may do this) but others on here put my mind at rest & I had my first fill last Tues under X-ray, which confirmed everything was definitely OK! Don't worry.

What I will add, is that by day 14, I had the opposite - Constipation! I have never had this before, and I hope NEVER to again! Without going into too much detail, I was in agony for 5 hrs in the middle of the night, in a house on my own, unable to drive. I won't tell you what I resorted to doing to help ease the pain, it would gross you out, but I never realised the extent of the pain it could put someone in. I believe it was because I wasn't drinking enough, I wasn't a great liquid drinker before the op & struggled to get my 2 litres a day down. I've never failed to drink enough since! Once was enough!!! Be warned! If this posting can help just one person not go through what I did.....!

Good luck on your journey

Suzi ;0)

I have always had issues with constipation...I have not gone since before my surgery on July 9th. I just had some MOM (disgusting!!!!)...I am hoping this helps me! I am so bloated and gaseous!!!!

Sorry about the T.M.I., but I just need to know! I went 3 days without having a BM after surgery,and now all of a sudden today I have horrible,constant diarrhea. I was wondering if this is normal. I'm also concerned that the strain will slip my band! Is that possible? How sensitive is the band to this sort of thing!?!?!

lol no u will be ok.... the band, and the port is stitched in so it it slips that easy it is a problem.... but the reason u had the 'runs'...lol is because u hadn't gone in a few days and that is the only way your body can get rid of the toxins before u get sick and throw up so that part is normal... but i am use to going like 3-5x's a day and i wasent.. so i had to get some Fiber pills and they work like magic... I love my psyllium hisk fiber:tt1::biggrin:...

lol no u will be ok.... the band, and the port is stitched in so it it slips that easy it is a problem.... but the reason u had the 'runs'...lol is because u hadn't gone in a few days and that is the only way your body can get rid of the toxins before u get sick and throw up so that part is normal... but i am use to going like 3-5x's a day and i wasent.. so i had to get some Fiber pills and they work like magic... I love my psyllium hisk fiber:tt1::biggrin:...

what is psyllium hisk fiber??? will it help me go?? where do you get it from??

what is psyllium hisk fiber??? will it help me go?? where do you get it from??

Oh yes it will it is made by solgar and i buy mine from the vitiman shop, and u can get it from gnc.... It is so much better than metamucil or the other stuff because it has 500g per pill... and i take 4-right before i go to sleep and like clock work an hour after i get up it all comes out.... :biggrin::tt1: what a great feeling..... that helps with the bloating feeling i had as well...

You might want to try Smooth Move Herbal tea. It's about $5.00 a box. Drink .5 cup before bed time and when you wake up in the morning your bowels will move. I used it a couple of times before surgery to clean out my intestines and it really works. Good Luck