Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance Changing Criteria

I have a situation where three weeks ago, my doctor was sent a list of criteria that must be meet in order to have the lap band surgery performed. Now that I met all of that criteria and they have added more criteria. After meeting the first list which included showing failed attempts at weight loss for at least six months over the last two years, they have added/changed that you have to be on a doctor/nutritionist weight loss program for three months within the last six months. Can they change? How can I fight? I don't want to go on another diet for three months and find out that they then have a new criteria to meet? What are my options?

Also does anybody know what the goal of this additional weight loss program is? Am I suppose to succeed at losing weight for which we can all lose weight if you take away the food, but I just can't keep it off for extended periods of time. I want to make sure that I succeed at what they are looking for so I can get on with the surgery and my life changed.

Carolyn

Who is your insurance with. I too am waiting for insurance approval. I have been waiting since March 9. They keep saying they have not received the denial from my primary which we have faxed to them numerous times. I have United Healthcare EPO.

Guest cammie

Carolyn: I was denied two times before approved. You need to have your primary write your insurance company a letter stating that you HAVE tried to lose the weight, have lost, but are unable to maintain. If you have co-morbidies, this also needs to be included with a remark of how dangerous these are to your health and that this surgery is very indicated. If you have tried Weight Watchers or things like that, your primary doctor can also remind your insurance company that they (WW) do NOT maintain records, but that he/she is very aware and can assure the insurance company that you did indeed attend such diet groups. I tried Weight Watcher's and another program in my area, both of which did NOT maintain permanent records, however, my primary MD was aware and wrote a letter on my behalf that I did infact attend these groups, lost weight, but was not able to maintain. It worked, my insurance came back and approved me. I had my surgery on Monday May 2nd. I have lost around 15lbs. You do not need to give up. Let me know if I can help you further. Cammie

The insurance verbally told me that the only thing lacking was the 3-month diet in the last 6-months. Today, I received a letter flat out denying because it is not medically necessary. I am over 100 pounds overweight with high blood pressure. Diabetes & Heart Trouble runs on both sides of my family. What do they really want? I don't know where to go. Carolyn

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches