Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

frustrated, is something wrong?

Hi everyone so i got banded in june of 2008 its been 3 weeks or so since ive only lose 5 pounds and i could eat everything, i have no restriction, ive heard to get a first fill one should be 5 or 6 weeks, i couldnt wait that long so im getting my first fill this coming tuesday im excited to lose more weight. im not losing a pound and eating anything i want without any problem or restriction, does this sound familiar or normal to anyone?

weight.png

Edited by bandded

Sounds like me. I was banded on June 24th and have my first fill this Monday. However - I am an extremely fast healer and this is my 3rd abdominal surgery. I can eat anything right now - bread, too. I am trying to diet and am avoiding sugary foods and cola, etc. But let me tell you, I have a craving for chicken and skim milk. I initially lost 10 pounds, but that seems to be due to the issues I had with sucrulose. No that I know I'm allergic and the pain anbloating was due to "splenda", I have no issues. SO - long story short. You sound totally normal. My doctor reminded me that the band isn't "turned on" until the fills start.

Hey Jenn! I have a quick question for ya; how did you find out that you were allergic to Splenda?? Did the Dr. just conclude that, or did they do some sort of test? I used to use Equal and was fine with it, then my sister kept pushing me to use Splenda instead, so I switched a few months ago. It could just be a coincidence, but now I am always bloated and swollen, although that may be from my weight gain too. What do you think? Thanks.

hey bandded- don't be frustrated. :) you just barely started this journey. wait 'till you get your fills & hit your sweet spot, you'll be doing even better, you even have a head start with your weight loss so far. just be a little patient, i'm pretty sure you didn't gain over night,lol :lol: . it will be the same thing with the weight loss, it won't melt away over night... though I WISH!!!!! :thumbup:

Sounds normal to me.

Just getting the band doesn't mean anything....the system works with restriction.

and that comes 6 weeks after

or 4 more weeks

or 4 more weeks

etc.

I lost my first pound 10 weeks after surgery, yep 2nd adjustment.

thanks everyone i feel alot better and reassured, hopefully after my first fill ill start to lose weight.

so i have another question, after my first fill im planned to go out of town, do you guys think its a good a idea to do this right before a trip, i have my doubts but i think it might do me some good and help not have an out of town over eat episode, do you guys think health wise ill have a hard time or will i be ok, tell me some of ur guys experiences.

Hi everyone so i got banded in june of 2008 its been 3 weeks or so since ive only lose 5 pounds and i could eat everything, i have no restriction, ive heard to get a first fill one should be 5 or 6 weeks, i couldnt wait that long so im getting my first fill this coming tuesday im excited to lose more weight. im not losing a pound and eating anything i want without any problem or restriction, does this sound familiar or normal to anyone?

weight.png

it's normal. I actually started to gain weight before my first fill. You will continue to be hungry until you start to feel restriction which can be 3 fills or more.

Well - I found out I was allergic to sucrulose when I talked with my mother. No doctor diagnosis, but basically I was having terrible gas pains, flatulence, and I was swollen and miserable. Then I got the runs. I completely took myself off everything with Splenda in it, and everythig resolved. Had a Propel Water a few days later, guess what - I was walking around tooting... Alos, my 4 year daughter (who though it was fantastic that her mother had bought her puddings and jello...) started complaining her stomach was hurting, then she startes tooting, and guess what - more runs. My mother has the same issues. Check it out on google - this is pretty common.

Banded,

Don't worry....You are in the healing phase. Some people even gain weight at this time. Once you start getting your fills and watching your calories...the pounds will start coming off.

Good luck,

Kathy

thanks everyone i feel alot better and reassured, hopefully after my first fill ill start to lose weight.

so i have another question, after my first fill im planned to go out of town, do you guys think its a good a idea to do this right before a trip, i have my doubts but i think it might do me some good and help not have an out of town over eat episode, do you guys think health wise ill have a hard time or will i be ok, tell me some of ur guys experiences.

Since it will be your FIRST fill, you will probably be okay. They won't 'overfill' you.

Now my second fill was done while I was in surgery (had to have my port relocated) so we didn't 'test' it. I was SUPER restricted. I loved losing like 9 lbs in 5 days, but I was getting weak and a little dehydrated. I was going out of town and tho't it would be great to go with no appetite -- but didn't want to pass out or anything, so I went for a wee bit of an unfill and it was great.

I was becoming concerned because I'm on my 2nd fill so far and still eating as if I was on weight watchers. I don't eat more than 8oz per meal but I have 3 meals and snack twice a day. To me thats too much for a band. I've been steadily at 1lb weight loss per week but I still feel frustrated cuz I don't feel any difference. I would like to lose 2lbs a week. I'm just hoping that I can keep my will power.