Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When I first got banded on Nov.14,2007 I weighed 253lbs, two weeks ago I weighed in at 205lbs. This week I weighed 213lbs, I'm considering taking phentermine. Is there anyone else out there that had taken diet pills with the band? Please respond because I am seriously thinking about taking these pills.:smile:

weight.png

Edited by BabyCat

I think you should try to work with the band because why did we go through surgery, etc. if we want the medication. I agree that it is not easy, but do not be discouraged. It is more about changing what we eat and the way we do so. Please reconsider letting the band do its business. I wish you well.

Fran

I have been on Merida and Phentermine (current) during my banding period. My doctor sees nothing wrong with taking either until I hit my sweet spot. It helps take the hunger away while I'm adjusting to the band. I'm learning how to eat smaller portions, slower, not drinking with meals, etc. I tried medication only, but it was only short-term, and the weight came back on when I stopped. When I hit my sweet spot and stop taking phentermine, my band will help me to stay there. If you spend the time learning how to re-eat while taking the meds, then they are beneficial. If you don't, then the band wont help either.

Are you interested in the diet pills because you want a faster weight loss? I ask this because to me it seems you have lost an pretty good amount of weight. I know that we want this to go fast but a think slower weight loss in a lot safer and healthier. If you are trying to compare the band to gastric bypass....gastric bypass offers you a faster weight loss in the beginning compared to the lapband . But the lapband catches up later. Considering you have not been banded a whole year yet, I would at least wait it out until your band anniversary before you look into taking diet pills.

And remember , you cannot take diet pills forever because they eventually affect your heart to say the least.

I've only been banded two months and from where I am your weight loss looks impressive to me. Keep up the good work!

I'm just very sad that I gained some weight. I work really hard, I jog two to three miles aday and walk one mile. For me to gain back eight pounds is hurtful. I don't understand what is going on, it's not like I eat much.

It is discouraging to gain weight when you are working hard, but this could be temporary. Are you about to start your period? How about your clothing? Are they getting looser? I know we hate to hear it, but muscle does weigh more than fat. That new muscle will raise your metabolism and burn that fat as you exercise.

I have been on Merida and Phentermine (current) during my banding period. My doctor sees nothing wrong with taking either until I hit my sweet spot. It helps take the hunger away while I'm adjusting to the band. I'm learning how to eat smaller portions, slower, not drinking with meals, etc. I tried medication only, but it was only short-term, and the weight came back on when I stopped. When I hit my sweet spot and stop taking phentermine, my band will help me to stay there. If you spend the time learning how to re-eat while taking the meds, then they are beneficial. If you don't, then the band wont help either.

This may seem like a silly question but I just wondering how you are going to know if you are at your sweet spot if you are taking diet pills that suppress your hunger? Or are you just using them until you get used to the band way of life? Just curious :redface:

My Drs. office does provide the option of taking medication if weightloss has stalled after a period of time. Now...it's not an option for someone that is just a couple of months out of surgery but it would be an option for somone that was banded in November. My Dr., and I have somewhat of a problem with this because I am a pretty slow loser historically, believes that you should take off 40 pounds in the first three-four months following surgery. I am two months out of surgery and have lost 25lbs and feel a twinge of failure...and I know that I shouldn't!

My Dr. also does fills every 3-4 weeks until restriction occurs. I find that he is supportive in that regard. If he doesn't see 2lbs. a weak being lost he makes sure that you are in for a fill.

I would talk to your Dr. or nutritionist and see what he says. I've taken Meridia in the past...but I didn't find it nearly as effective as I would have liked. I've wondered what it would be like now that I have the band. I'm going to give it until September and see if the first 40lbs. is gone. If it isn't, I'm going to ask my Dr. if I can take the Meridia that I already have in my medicine cabinet.

I don't respond really well to meds like phentermine as they make my hands go numb and give me very bad heart palpatations.

Thank everyone for their response. I hope this post can help others who are going through the same thing.

I have taken phentermine briefly before restriction or when I was having a problem with head hunger. I don't need it anymore now that I am at proper restriction.

My doctor just prescribed me 30 mg phentermine. I have to lose approximately 16-20 lbs left. My weight loss has stalled for 7 months. I think I've lost about 3 lbs this week. I am only taking it for a short period of time.

i have taken phentermine in the past and noticed that it worked best stop and go. if i took it too many days in a row i found that it made me anxious. i would search my face for a possible pimple to squeeze etc... i am for whaterver works, but if you notice yourself feeling anxious stop the pills until the feeling goes away. because anxiety sucks. and these pills can bring it on.