Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am going to stab someone

So I got a new job right about the time I was scheduled for surgery. I told them about the surgery because well I needed time off and this was already scheduled before the surgery.

I was supposed to work three months probation and them be hired on fulltime with benefits, vacation, sick pay, huge christmas bonus, a raise. Blah blah blah.

It pays well, but it's been five months. I keep asking about it and they keep putting me off...telling me different bullshit reasons they haven't done it yet.

Someone who is close with the stupid manager today told me it was because of my lapband they haven't technically hired me yet. They are scared something will happen and don't want to have the insurance premiums go up like they did when one of their employees had a brain tumor.

I am pissed the fuck off. Pardon my laungauge, but I am NOT in a good mood already and I want to go up there and slap her. How ignorant is she?

Calm me down, please, before I lose my job.

:(:whatchutalkingaboutPut the knife away and take a deep breath. Talk with the person that you are having an issue with and just ask them if they are going to hire you full time, or if not, why? If they say that it is because you are going to have surgery, well, that is discriminating.

You could always find a new job, sounds like this is not a company I would want to work for...just tell them you need some time off for a "commitment" and don't mention surgery

Okay, you need to nip this one in the bud. It sounds like a small company but I could be wrong. You have a few choices on how to handle this discrimination. Personally I'd calm down first, maybe wait until a day or two passes just so I can remain professional. Then I'd speak privately with the manager, the one that is supposed to make it official. I'd explain that you were told that it would be 3 months and you're very happy with the job and wondering why it's been 5 months and nothing. Casually advise her that you had heard that it was due to the Lap Band but you're sure that it couldn't be that - that you know a company like this would never discriminate like that, it must just be that crazy office talk.

Basically let them know you know the shit they are pulling but give them an out. Give them a way to gracefully correct the situation.

The other option is to take it to HR or her boss but that could cause you more problems in the long run.

Hugs to ya and hope things get better soon.

:(:whatchutalkingaboutPut the knife away and take a deep breath. Talk with the person that you are having an issue with and just ask them if they are going to hire you full time, or if not, why? If they say that it is because you are going to have surgery, well, that is discriminating.

You could always find a new job, sounds like this is not a company I would want to work for...just tell them you need some time off for a "commitment" and don't mention surgery

Just wanted to let you know that her surgery was done back in February. She doesn't even need time off now, it's been over for 4 months now. They are just worried that something might happen in the future which is so highly unlikely at this point.

Ah, thanks, missed that

:(

Do they have a written policy on the probationary period? I would find out. If there is a policy on 90 days probation then they offer benefits, etc., they have to honor that. Check your employee guidelines if you have them and if not, ask your boss or HR for a written policy.

I also like Ezma's approach. Most companies don't even want to hear the word discrimination whispered so it might be just enough to get them to move ahead on this.

I'm calmer now. I have no weapons to speak of.

Your right, Ezma it is a smaller company, not a chain or anything.

I will go talk to her. I just get so annoyed at ignorant people sometimes.

I'm glad to hear your feeling more calm! I got all scared wehn I seen this and I was like... "OMG, Tara is going to hurt someone" Heehee.

Just brush up on your communication skills and march right into your Sups office and lay it straight. Sometimes we think that our Sups are supposed to know exactly what we want and what we are thinking, but they do not. You have to speak up for yourself.

If it's been 5 months, regardless if they did your three month review or not I don't think you are any longer under "probation". Talk to them and tell them you want all they promised you retroactive 2 months.

Good Luck!!