Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

when did you start solids?

My doctor told me not to start solids until 4 weeks post-op. My friend had lap band surgery 1 week after I did, and her doctor told her she could start solids after 3 weeks. I see a lot of different things on here; that some can start at 3 weeks and some have to wait until 6 weeks. I am still in the "mushy" stage, but I am starving all the time. I know that my swelling has gone down because I can eat a lot before I actually get full. Anybody else start solids sooner than 4 weeks? Does anyone know why so many doctors give different instructions?

I was able to begin Phase II immediately following surgery - I am only 12 days post-op and even though I have no trouble eating solid foods (I have tried) was told yesterday to continue mushy foods for another week - every person is different every doctor is different - I think it mainly has to do with how much weight a person has to lose but also he said that the band has to heal around the stomach pouch and they are worried if someone tries to eat chunks of food it can twist the band around and slip causing real problems.

My doctor told me not to start solids until 4 weeks post-op. My friend had lap band surgery 1 week after I did, and her doctor told her she could start solids after 3 weeks. I see a lot of different things on here; that some can start at 3 weeks and some have to wait until 6 weeks. I am still in the "mushy" stage, but I am starving all the time. I know that my swelling has gone down because I can eat a lot before I actually get full. Anybody else start solids sooner than 4 weeks? Does anyone know why so many doctors give different instructions?

Lynnie

No we don't know why each doc gives diff instruction - but what we do know is that you have to follow your doctors orders

I had to do 10 days each phase - you are in bandster hell - the time between healing and getting your 1st fill.

We all have been there - You can do this - follow your doc's rules

Suggestion if you are extra hungry - eat extra veggies - zuchinee cooks up real soft and mixed with a little can't beleive it's not butter spray - it will be low in calories and filling...

I was able to begin Phase II immediately following surgery - I am only 12 days post-op and even though I have no trouble eating solid foods (I have tried) was told yesterday to continue mushy foods for another week - every person is different every doctor is different - I think it mainly has to do with how much weight a person has to lose but also he said that the band has to heal around the stomach pouch and they are worried if someone tries to eat chunks of food it can twist the band around and slip causing real problems.

It has nothing to do with how much weight you have to lose - It has to do with the stomach healing around the band - your stomach is stiched around the band and until that heals you can cause a slip (stiches come undone). This is why you can not eat until your doc tells you - when the stomach digest food it moves - that movement is what can cause a slip until you are healed.

I am glad I read this because I haven't been following the diet because I was able to swallow pills. Being able to swallow pills and having no restriction I had a waffle and then a bowl of ceral. Today I went and had some of a Big Mac. I have no feeling of being full, just very bloated from the gas of surgery that was on July 4th. Why don't I have any restriction even from what you are suppose to have from swelling?

Various doctors have different instructions and it's important for each of us to follow our own doctor's orders.

My doctor had me on liquids (including creamy Soups, Jello, sugar free pudding) for the first week and mushies the second week. On the third week I could start slowly and carefully working in solid foods.

I have an innocent question... Why are you eating Big Macs if you want to lose weight? This really has to be a lifestyle modification and eating food like that 4 days after being banded...it just doesn't look like you're committed to making that change. I was banded on July 3rd and I'm still in enough pain to be reminded of why I did this, which was to get healthy and lose weight.

I guess I ate the Big Mac because I was on liquids for 2 weeks and not getting enough Protein. If I was able to control what I was eating before getting the band then why would I need the band? My surgeon said as I was going into surgery that I was calling out for ice cream. I am an addict for food. So I am not perfect I have a problem and with the complications of surgery, owning my own businesses and NOT being able to open them because of the complications, my son being disabled, my daughter flunking out of summer school. my sister's daughter who had a baby 7 weeks ago and leaving the baby with others and then my sister trying to move back into her house that was just fixed because of a fire, not finding any doctors to help me here for my complications, not having the money to pay rent on my businesses and my house payment. cause I used that to help pay for my band and with me not working nothing is going to get paid. I guess my eating disorder got the best of me and I am sure it may again but I know for 1 thing NOW I have a tool to help me when I start getting my fills. So I now know why you can't eat solids for awhile and I will make sure I am getting protein. So hopefully I can ward off the callings.

No he didn't, I had my surgery in Mexico. Didn't get any care directions and a lot of other things I should have been told wasn't. Would I be able to tell if the band moved? Wouldn't it hurt this early? I read it on here today that you can't eat solids. So I feel really bad. Upset with myself.

Don't beat yourself up. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot of stress right now. Just try to get on soft foods for awhile or Protein Shakes. I ate a piece of pizza in week 2, just to see how it would go down, and I feel fine. I plan to stick to my diet now, but sometimes I have to do the wrong thing to see what it's like. Of course, I cut it up in little pieces and chewed well. Tomorrow is a fresh start, so don't dwell on past mistakes.

I am glad I read this because I haven't been following the diet because I was able to swallow pills. Being able to swallow pills and having no restriction I had a waffle and then a bowl of ceral. Today I went and had some of a Big Mac. I have no feeling of being full, just very bloated from the gas of surgery that was on July 4th. Why don't I have any restriction even from what you are suppose to have from swelling?
I guess I ate the Big Mac because I was on liquids for 2 weeks and not getting enough Protein. If I was able to control what I was eating before getting the band then why would I need the band? My surgeon said as I was going into surgery that I was calling out for ice cream. I am an addict for food. So I am not perfect I have a problem and with the complications of surgery, owning my own businesses and NOT being able to open them because of the complications, my son being disabled, my daughter flunking out of summer school. my sister's daughter who had a baby 7 weeks ago and leaving the baby with others and then my sister trying to move back into her house that was just fixed because of a fire, not finding any doctors to help me here for my complications, not having the money to pay rent on my businesses and my house payment. cause I used that to help pay for my band and with me not working nothing is going to get paid. I guess my eating disorder got the best of me and I am sure it may again but I know for 1 thing NOW I have a tool to help me when I start getting my fills. So I now know why you can't eat solids for awhile and I will make sure I am getting Protein. So hopefully I can ward off the callings.
No he didn't, I had my surgery in Mexico. Didn't get any care directions and a lot of other things I should have been told wasn't. Would I be able to tell if the band moved? Wouldn't it hurt this early? I read it on here today that you can't eat solids. So I feel really bad. Upset with myself.

Joiful - Just cuz you can doesn't mean you should - they banded your tummy not your brain - the band isn't going to make your food choices for you - Then only control you have is what you put in your mouth - there are better choices than a big mac to get your protein -

Your band is not the magical answer to your issue with food - Ya we all are food addict - the band is the tool to help control your portions once you have proper restriction - but even then you can eat around it - candy ice cream chips etc all go down real easy even at your sweet spot.

I am sorry that your doc didn't provide you with the information that you need in order to be successful with your band - so here is a short version of what you need to do

800-1200 calories a day - keep a food diary (dailyplate.com or fitday.com)

minimum 60 grms of protein a day (1 oz meat - 7 grms of protein) 64 oz of Water (crystal lite) no drinking 1/2 hr before or after a meal - No Soda - Eat low fat - sugar free - limited starches/refined carbs - Eat protein first - then veggies and carbs if room. Read food labels for calories and protein in anything you eat - They have ton's of protein powders out there to get your protein - unjury - whey Protein - go to the diet section at Walmart or go to a GNC you will find tons of diff kind of stuff..

Go to the food thread to get ideas of what to eat on each phase - at least 10 days full liquids - 10 days mushie - 10 days soft - then regular food - I have attached a sample menu for when you get to the reg food stage (but fish is considered a mushie)

I hope that your complications are getting better - Hugs for the complication in your life right now - but darling food isn't going to make them go away or in fact eating isn't really going to fix any of it - You can do this you just have to make the commitment to do something for just you reward yourself with a healthier life - The only real control you have is what you are eating and to know that and control it is empowering..

Good luck on your journey - I really hope that things work out for you...

Joiful: I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I'm probably more jealous than anything else that you got to eat a Big Mac and I didn't! Anyway, hang in there and as far as your businesses go... I personally decided the day after my surgery (just a couple of days ago) that I'm going to focus on my health and my 9-5 job. I own rental properties that are bringing me down and giving me unnecessary stress. If I can't sell them, then I'll let them go into foreclosure. I had to make some decisions on my priorities since something always has to give. For me, that meant putting my master's degree on hold for a little while, selling my properties, getting my health back on track and focusing on my husband, son and 9-5 job. All of this is easier said than done, BUT you've already made the bold step of being banded. Don't make it all for nothing. There are people that never lose weight with the band, you know. And some that gain. I just don't want to be one of them.

Thank you both for all your help. I have been up for hours being upset. I was only getting around 10 or 15 grams of Protein. Bought Slimfast but that doesn't have enough in them. Now I know where to get ideas. I will really pay attention tomorrow what I put inside my body. The Big Mac wasn't that good. I ate a little and gave the rest to my toy white poodle, Lola. My family has been invited to a BBQ Friday night with my husband's family to Celebrate a 95 B-day. They don't know that I was Banded and I don't want to tell them and I am still not feeling well and I am freaked out about that. I want my husband to tell them I am not feeling well because I am so huge now and another can't eat what they are having. I have only told 2 close friends. Was going to get it done earlier. My Mom made the commet "Why don't you just tape your mouth shut". So now I haven't told anyone. Even lied about why my businesses were closed.

We all are going through long journeys. Mine is just starting, having to face what bothers me. My husband was gone along time with my son last night or longer than what he said. I was going to sleep but stayed awake and worried because he was not back when I thought he should be, so then I ate. Why does just little things like that make you eat?

About your rental properties. My sister has some too. She sold hers but kept 1 that stayed rented and was easier to manage. Have you read The Secret? It really helps. Try that and see how things goes. I am starting again on focusing on what the book says. It helps so much.

Thanks again and happy banding!

Joiful:

One of the reasons I joined this forum was to find a good Protein shake. The Slim Fast "Low Carb Diet" shakes have more Protein than the normal. 20 grams per shake. They're pretty thick, though. I'd also suggest getting a psychologist. I think when you get banded in the US, more doctors require an evaluation by one. Furthermore, going on the liquid diet is (besides shrinking your liver) a good way to kind of "detox" on food. After the 2nd day, I wasn't starving anymore. When I get bored or upset, my urge is still to eat, but the longer you adhere to the program, the easier it is to adhere to the program. Also, my psychologist told me that the fastest way to sabotage your program is to be secretive about it. Telling other people helps you stay accountable---to everyone! Just about all of my family and a good majority of the people that I'm forced to interact with (my son's daycare providers, fellow employees and church members) know about this. Some people won't agree with your decision but people at large are suprisingly encouraging and supportive. Telling people will only help your cause. I know a guy who only told me he had it done after I told him I planned on doing it. He started off at 450, lost 100, and the last time I talked to him had gained 50 of it back...and still eating as much as possible. Taking charge of your health is something to be proud of! You shouldn't hide it.

No one said any of this was going to be the magic bullet. Get something specific that you eat when you're stressed out...like last night. Maybe sugar-free popsicles or sugar free Jello. HANG IN THERE!