Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some help with this liquid diet

Robyn

You can do this! If I did it anybody can! Believe me, I was scared - I seriously considered chickening out right on the OR table. I am so happy that I didn't! You have two little girls - look at it this way - you are doing it so that you can be around to see them have little girls! I know that I really did do it to save my life and I think most people do it for the same reason. Just hold out three more days and then it will all be over! It will be the first day of the rest of your life!

Eileen

I have some experience with protien shakes from my days messing around with weight lifting.

it is my absolutely strongest opinion ( am I convincing enough?LOL) that the best Protein drinks will come from your blender at home, using fresh milk.

Or if you are on the go, just keep a shaker bottle full of the protien powder, and buy the milk fresh from a corner store.

I know this might sound a bit disgusting, but I haven't met a can of protien that didn't taste a bit like baby formula, or sour milk.

I don't know if I'll be allowed to drink this, but my favorite shake is:

- 32 grams of chocolate protien powder

- 1 cup of skim milk

- 4-6 icecubes

- 1 tablespoon of Peanut Butter ( for fat)( probably not allowed, right?)

- sprinkle cinnamin to flavor

- or peppermint extract

Tyler, once we get past the strict post op diet, and it is designed to let the stomach heal (there should not be anything that needs digestion), we can eat whatever we choose.

A bit of fat is necessary in ones diet. The big thing with the band is that whatever calories you take in, you literally TAKE IN! They process through your system just as they do now. So if one is not doing some serious weight training, or exercise program, then a shake with high calories is going to work against them.

When we get our Protein from a lean meat source (as I say AFTER the post op diet) then it sits in our pouches for a longer time, leaving us full for longer than the shake is going to, as it being liquid, it will flow right through, leaving us to be hungry again a short while later.

I cannot remember for sure, but I believe if I could have strained your shake to remove any possible bits of peanuts, there would have been nothing I couldn't have had.

I used a lot of Protein Powder, and I too mixed it with skim milk, and used many flavorings. You can also use a spoon full of the SF/FF pudding mix. I love the Da Vinci syrups. I would use almost the same mix you mention---the chocolate Protein Powder, milk, ice cubes, and coconut Syrup (SF). Tasted like a Mounds bar!!! Caramel was my favorite, so I just used unflavored Protein powder, milk, ice cubes and caramel Da Vinci syrup.

Once I got past my post op diet though, my Dr. preferred us to get our protein, as well as all nutrition through food as opposed to liquid calories.

I am betting you will be pleasantly surprised, and you will be able to have your favorite shake!

Kat

I am drinking these ones from costco called Premier Nutrition Protein. They have 30 grams of protein and only 160 calories and and 1 gram of sugar and only 5 carbs. They aren't amazing but they are drinkable. I tend to chug them because i dotn really like Protein Shakes ever.

Post banding my nutritionist said I could make a shake/smoothie..

I bought the vanilla and chocolate BALI Meal Replacement powder from GNC...I use 1 c of 1%milk, 1 scoop of Protein, a T of sf peanutbutter and a banana.I cannot finish it all but it has like 30+ g of Protein between the pb, milk, and powder.

I think it is very hard to get the protein grams in on liquid phase...

Some folks get a tasteless Protein Powder and add it to sf puddings/custards. Not sure how that would be but its a thought.

Cindi

Banded 5/5/08

highest weight 358

weight starting process 344

surgery day 335

today...5 days after surgery 326 :tt1:

The thing I like most about Lapbanding, is I will be able to absorb nutrition that I intentionally put into a drink.

This is important to me. I want the lap band to help me deal with my non stop eating, but I also want to exercise including some amateur weight lifting. One of my concerns is ' will I get enough protien and calories when my exercise demands it'? And, fortunately through protient shakes, and homemade juices, I shouldn't have that problem,