Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on 7/3 for Slip

Tomorrow I'm having surgery to fix my slipped band. The doctor has prepared me for the possiblity that it may have to come out. He says that quite often, when there is a slip, there is quite a bit of scar tissue that makes it difficult to reband. He says that the scarring can involve the liver and stomach and that when this is the case, it is best to remove the band.

I told him that I would really like to keep the band and have a second chance at banded life.

I won't know the outcome until I wake up from the anesthesia tomorrow.

I'm so filled with emotions and have been crying on and off today. Few people understand what a big issue this is for me...

I have so many blessings in my life and all day today, my inbox has been filled with friends sending prayers of light and grace for tomorrow's surgery.

If you would, could you please send prayers my way for a graceful and successful surgery tomorrow. And that if it is for my highest and best good, that I awaken still banded and ready to being Part Two of my band adventure... And if the band has to come out, please send prayers that I gracefully navigate my new journey with food, my body and my experience with my appetite.

Thank You!

I'll post an update as soon as I'm able...

Hi Starrgirl, your post almost made me cry. I have been having trouble with my band too. I really hope he can save your band. If you are debanded is there a chance to reband later or never? I am sending my prayers your way. I totally understand what you are feeling when the chance is there to lose your band. I am starving so we'll see when we do the barrium swallow what is up with my band. I hope your band is saved. Please let us know how tomorrow goes. Julie

Hi Julie-

Thank you for your prayers and light to you, too! My doctor says that if there is scarring, his recommendation would be not to replace the band now or in the future. He said that if I wanted, he could leave in the tubing and the port in case I wanted to go out of network to have the band. But I told him that if his opinion (and the opinion of his collegues) is that I'm not a candidate for rebanding, then I don't want to shop around until I find a doctor who will say yes. The most important part of this is that I want to be healthy... so I trust him to make the decision tomorrow that will provide me with long-term health.

I was banded in 2/2004, so I've had four years with the band. However, I'm realizing that I haven't had proper restriction for about 18 months. I'm really hoping that I awaken tomorrow rebanded. I went out today and purchased Protein drinks and other Clear liquids in hopes that I'll be on liquids for a while while the band heals.

If he is able to reposition the band, they'll keep me in the hospital overnight. If he removes the band, they will send me home tomorrow. Keep me on liquids for a day, and then I'll be on my own once again. I pray for miracles beyon my imagination surrounding all of this~!

I will be thinking of you. I have been having problems with restriction too so I'll let you know what my doctor says next Thursday. He did mention a barrium swallow before. I just can't get full and I'm starving. Let me know how you do okay dear. Julie

Hi starrgirrl,

just read your message and it really touched my heart. I will definitely say a prayer for you. I will also ask that god's will be done. Whatever happens he knows what it is best for us. Good luck

I'll be praying for you!! Please let us know when you can.

Starrgirrl, I am teary eyed thinking of what you are going through and wondering what I would do. I would do exactly what you want - to stay banded. My prayers are with you and you have to let us know what happened. My fingers are crossed and the angels are close.

I am thinking of you and wish you well. I am having an exploratory on July 15th, and may have the band removed. I cried all the way home from the Doctor. I have had the band since Dec 2006. I have been having

intermittent pain in the sternum area that has been getting more frequent. We have decided that if it can be fixed the band stays in, if she cannot see anything the band comes out, because my fibromyalgia or IBS is responsible. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Hi Beautiful Family-<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

This is my first foray into emaiing since the surgery. The band was removed on Thursday. Surprisingly, I feel at peace with the outcome. There was much scarring as a result of the band, and I know for my long term health, this was the best solution. I didn't realize how much scar tissue could build up as a result of the band. The doctor provided us with pictures -- and once I saw them, I was somewhat relieved to have it out.

The current challenge is that there is quite a bit of residual pain from where the port was removed – and it is difficult to get in and out of bed. I continue to be on medication and am not moving around too much. It is quite similar to the pain I felt when I was originally banded.

<o:p>On the bright side, the acid reflux is gone. I'm able to eat without any problems. And my appetite is quiet, so I'm just eating small amounts. This is such a relief!</o:p>

I’m so grateful for the prayers and words of encouragement that you are sending my way! <o:p></o:p>

I can appreciate what others have posted about tears coming forward at the idea of losing the band. I went through a deep greiving process last week. On Wednesday, I just sobbed and sobbed. It was terrifying to think of going back into the dark abyss of obesity and out-of-control eating.

But the funny thing about grieving, is that there's usually a point of completion. I work a lot with the angels, and I asked them to help lift the grief and fear. By the time I woke up on Thursday, I felt myself come into alignment with whatever outcome was for my highest good. And I've been in peace ever since then. So please don't grieve for my journey... it is what it is supposed to be.

We are all pioneers in this journey of treating obesity. We are likely influenced by chemical factors that are leftovers from an anthropological past that is no longer needed. There are brilliant minds working on finding methods of relieving the imbalance. I've been reading the medical journals in the weeks leading up to my surgery. There are talks of a vaccinne... doctors doing the gastric sleeve believe that the surgery reduces the amount of grehlin the body makes... and even more options. So I know that we are all contributing to the time when our body's appetite can be calibrated in a way that honors vital health and wellness in an organic and supportive way.

I'll post more in the days to come...

Hello Starrgirrl. I had to have my band removed open on 6-10-08, after only having it for three months. I too was filled with much grief but, I am moving on. I had lots of scar tissue so no rebanding for me. I like you don't want people to grieve for my journey. God Bless because we can do all things thru Christ who strengthens us.

Best of luck to you Starrgirrl. It sounds like you are doing really well. You can finish your journey without the band! Just believe in yourself! Feel better soon.

I don't read the complications section much, but just posted my own complication and read your post. I'm sorry you lost your band. I hope you have gained some insight, while being banded, that helps you on your journey without your band.

I wish you the best. Good Luck.

I wish you all the best on your unbanded journey. I'm the same as Shortgal, going through my own complication and am going in on Thursay for a redo. Who knows what the outcome will be, not an easy thing to do.