Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this restriction??

I was banded 5-27-08. The evening after my surgery, I was starving. I had Clear Liquids for a couple days, then was supposed to be on full liquids until my 2-week follow-up appointment. Well, I was starving pretty much all the time and felt as though I needed nourishment - so I advanced my diet, yes I am a noncompliant patient (most nurses are, LOL).

So at my 2 week follow-up appointment I got my first fill, 4cc's. But nothing changed. It was like I had never even gotten a lap band. I could eat everything - in large quantities, and I always felt HUNGRY, which is so frustrating!!

Yesterday I went in for my second fill, 1.8cc's. I am feeling a little different now, but am not sure if this is restriction or not. I haven't tried chicken or steak or anything like that yet, but this morning I had a ham & cheese omelet. While eating I felt chest tightness, in the epigastic area. It almost hurt at times and I knew I had to stop eating. After a minute it would be okay and I could take another bite. I probably had 3/4-1 c. serving in about 10-15 minutes. I have not been able to stop drinking while eating yet, so I had orange juice with my meal, which seemed to make the chest even tighter and it felt like the O.J. sat in my throat just for a moment before going down.

So far, I am not feeling hungry all the time and I am not always looking for food, like I was doing just 2 days ago. I have never burped, coughed, or vomited anything up. I was also thinking I should not be able to eat that large a serving. So, I am thinking that I am having a little restriction, but not optimal restriction, does that sound right? This whole process can be so frustrating at times! Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Whatever you have, I am hella jealous! :thumbup: You got your first fill 2 weeks after surgery?!? I was banded on May 19th and my first fill is tomorrow!!!! :thumbup:

It sounds to me like you have restriction. The tightness, from what I have heard, is the food slowly moving through the band, it may have been too big of a bite...but you are restricted for sure.

You weren't required to go on liquids after your fill?

I wish you look - hopefully this is a sweet spot for you.

I was banded on 6/12 and goodness knows I have probably eaten more than I should.I have my first fill on July 9. Hopefully I will fill restriction soon.I am afraid I wil gain weight. What is it like to have a fill? Does it hurt?

Yes, this is what they call restriction. In my experience, I could never eat scrambled eggs. I can eat runny poached eggs but that's it. It is time for you to take pea size bites and chew, chew, chew.

I know how that pain in the chest feels, it is HORRIBLE. Stay on your Water and liquids for 2-4 days. Broths, pudding, Protein Shakes, liquid food that is nutritious.

I have already gained 3 pounds back. I had lost 12 pounds right after surgery, but with no restriction I started gaining. I know I have to give it a little more time, but if this is restriction - I have to say I will need more restriction than this. I just finished off about a half a bag of cheetoes, a large bag - family sized. I was hoping that overeating would be something my band simply would not allow me to do. And I pray that is what the band will do for me, I am just not there.

The first fill did not hurt at all, I only felt the pressure of the needle going in. Strange feeling, but no pain. The second fill hurt a little as the needle went in. They spray a numbing agent on the site before the needle punctures the skin, so it is no big deal. The needle is inserted below the port incision site, I was worried about my healing incision, but the port was accessed a good 2 inches below the port incision. I have another appointment in 2 weeks, so if I don't get good restriction between now and then, I'll be getting another fill at that time. My surgeon does free check-ups/fills for 90 days after surgery, so I am trying to find my sweet spot before Aug 27.

You really need to stay away from food like that. It's going to get stuck and you'll end up vomiting, which in return COULD cause port or band problems. This is really important get that junk out of your house and go for a walk. Stop sabotaging yourself.

I have already gained 3 pounds back. I had lost 12 pounds right after surgery, but with no restriction I started gaining. I know I have to give it a little more time, but if this is restriction - I have to say I will need more restriction than this. I just finished off about a half a bag of cheetoes, a large bag - family sized. I was hoping that overeating would be something my band simply would not allow me to do. And I pray that is what the band will do for me, I am just not there.

The first fill did not hurt at all, I only felt the pressure of the needle going in. Strange feeling, but no pain. The second fill hurt a little as the needle went in. They spray a numbing agent on the site before the needle punctures the skin, so it is no big deal. The needle is inserted below the port incision site, I was worried about my healing incision, but the port was accessed a good 2 inches below the port incision. I have another appointment in 2 weeks, so if I don't get good restriction between now and then, I'll be getting another fill at that time. My surgeon does free check-ups/fills for 90 days after surgery, so I am trying to find my sweet spot before Aug 27.

LindalouRN

Darling I gotta tell you something - If you aren't compliant with your band it is not going to work. First you are not suppose to drink with your meals. Secondly - your band does not make your food choices you do - they banded your tummy not your brain.

The band and healthy eating and physical activity are the things that need to be done in order for you to lose the weight

Yes you may lose some just by restriction alone - even with proper restriction you can still consume a lot of calories and even large amounts of slider foods such as cheetos - chips - candy - ice cream you are banded and still absorb all the calories that you eat.

This is not a diet - this is a lifetime lifestyle change in you eating and physical activity level.

I am at my sweet spot - I still get hungry between meals - for me my band doesn't take away all my hunger - and even when I am full - I still want to eat - but I have learned that being a little hungry isn't going to kill me - and that I want to eat when I am bored - so I go find something to do.

I wish you the best but if you are just relying on restriction to make you lose the weight - I think you are going to be in for a disappointment,

Please reconsider your eating habits - if you are hungry grab a low fat string cheese - a small apple (peeled) - Make sure you eat hard Proteins first then veggies and if any room left your carbs/starches. No drinking before or after a meal as however long your doc suggested.

If you work with your band - it's going to work for you - but you gotta keep up your end of the deal and choose to eat healthy...

easy there with the cheetos, lol. i don't want to rain on your parade, but you have to watch what you eat, or follow some sort of diet. i realize you're very hungry...i'm going through the same thing, but i don't get my first fill until august; i do have a little restriction. but what i'm doing is following a high Protein low carb diet & exercising. all of this is helping and i'm sure once i get to my sweet spot, my band will be adding to it. remember, the band is just a tool...

Yes this is what restriction feels like. The tightness is what I call my stop button to put down the fork and let it go threw the band. If it still feels tight after awhile then I just stop eating all together. I have had so many bad PB experiences and they are very painful so I now can read my body right when it starts hurting to stop or it will just get worse. This is to make you do what the band was meant is to make you eat smaller bites and smaller amounts to loose or just maintain with out gaining. You get used to the restriction feeling because when I had an unfil because I just kept having back PB's and could hardly swallow my own spit with out throwing it up I was a very bad girl. I went staight to the jack in the box drive threw and fast food went down fine..........not a good thing for me so I ate and ate and ate and with in three weeks gained 12 pounds. It was back to the dr to get another fill. I am at a good level now as some days I feel tight and others I am okay. Since your used to not eating after awhile you don't even think about it that much. Unlike before I was banded food controlled my whole day and I always felt bad about myself at the end of the day because I couldn't stick to my diet!!! It was maddness and now I am so proud of myself and all the goals I have reached. I have not lost as much as I had hoped at this point but I have accomplished a lot not just weight wise but changing me to love myself inside and out. It will always be a battle but this tool is such a gift!!!!!

Lexy,

I was on liquids for 24 hours after my fill. Good luck with your fill tomorrow!

Linda

wow after surgery they started me on Clear Liquids ( 6hrs later) my 1st fill 4 weeks after 3cc some days i have good restriction some days i dont and its the same foods i eat bread, shrimp, chicken, beef in pinto Beans every one is different BUT going against medical advice (AMA )you should no better linda..lol its going to take time its all a learning experiance for us all we just need to be patience. yes me too..lol good luck and god bless