Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who's Getting Banded in August???

Good luck to all those that are about to be banded! I hope everything goes well for you.

Today is Day 13 post-op. I have been doing great although I haven't lost that must weight since surgery. I've only lost about 5 lbs. since surgery and 19 altogether since the beginning of my liquid diet before surgery. But you know, I'm OK with that. I know that once I start on a more regular diet, I will probably start losing more.

This Friday I get to start moving from pureed food to soft foods. Examples that are on my list are: boiled or scrambled eggs, soft cheeses (mozzerella or swiss), rice or soft cooked noodles, baked or soft cooked potatoes, soft overcooked vegetables, canned fruit in natural juices, banana, toasted bread, crackers.

Does anyone have any other suggestions during this stage? What did you eat during the soft food stage?

Wow, all of you that get pureed foods so early are lucky. My doctor had me on fluids two weeks before banding and now four weeks after banding. I was banded August 6, so I have one more week to go before my first food. I don't feel like I have had any restrictions. I am absolutely starving. This is the most willpower I have ever had to dredge up in my whole life! :thumbup:

I was on Clear Liquids + Protein Drinks for 3 weeks and today I moved to soft foods!! I had a bowl of potato Soup and it was soooooooooooooooo good. :mellow:

That one more week will fly by Mary. And your stomach and band will thank you for giving them such a good healing and settling in period.:thumbup:

Ok, I have a question. I've put a call into my doctor, but while I'm waiting...has anybody experienced any post-op left sided ribcage pain? When you breathe in, it feels like a dagger going into your lung? I have had it for several days now. The shoulder pain has subsided. The full belly is also going down, but now I have this pain that gets worse after I've eaten and sometimes I can't even breathe all the way in.

Does anybody have this or have they experienced this kind of pain? Today, I've also noticed that it has traveled almost down vertically to my waistline.

hi guys

it is nice of you all to share all this amazing information

i am going to be banded (gods willing) next Saturday August the 30th

i will benefit from your experiences

thanks a lot

Ok, I have a question. I've put a call into my doctor, but while I'm waiting...has anybody experienced any post-op left sided ribcage pain? When you breathe in, it feels like a dagger going into your lung? I have had it for several days now. The shoulder pain has subsided. The full belly is also going down, but now I have this pain that gets worse after I've eaten and sometimes I can't even breathe all the way in.

Does anybody have this or have they experienced this kind of pain? Today, I've also noticed that it has traveled almost down vertically to my waistline.

No, I haven't.....I think I saw a thread about that, you might want to look for it. Is it food stuck maybe????

hi guys

it is nice of you all to share all this amazing information

i am going to be banded (gods willing) next Saturday August the 30th

i will benefit from your experiences

thanks a lot

Welcome to August All-Stars...Good Luck on Saturday!

No, I haven't.....I think I saw a thread about that, you might want to look for it. Is it food stuck maybe????

No, couldn't be stuck food since I haven't had any food yet. It's lower anyway. The doc called and what we have surmised is that I lifted something on Sunday night that weighed 35 lbs at the store and put it in my cart. I know I wasn't supposed to bend or twist and lift, but I got caught in that "Oh, I feel great already" thing and forgot that I just had surgery. I think we all take that for granted sometimes and over-do it. The funny thing is that my shoulder pain ended that night. The frustrating thing is that I really can't quite recall the onset of that particular pain.

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do but wait. Could take weeks to get better. Apparently, since the port is sewn into the abdominal wall, anything that messes with that, ie pulling, twisting, etc., can cause sprain to that stomach muscle. The muscles run horizontally on the stomach. My pain starts to the left of my belly button and runs up under my ribcage. I know other people have similar pains. I've seen the threads. My guess is that there are many of us overdoing it too soon or there are a few things that can cause that type of pain.

It's hard to get into bed and lay flat. I just hope that's all it is. However, I don't know if I can take another 3 weeks of this to see if it gets better. If it wasn't for this pain, I would feel completely healed. Darn it!

Vegasgirl-I have been having that pain too and it can't be from bending or twisting for me b/c I just had surgery yesterday. To me, it feels like the pain I get when I am running and I get a stitch in my side. Is that how it is for you? Mine comes and goes. I'm just assuming it has to do with gas or something. Hoop it goes away for you quickly.

Just wanted to see how the surgery went. I am going in today Thursday 8/28/08 nervous, nervous and my surgery is at 8:30 pm which means I can't eat anything or drink anything after 9am How am I going to do that for 10 hours.-elisa

Ouch Vegasgirl... please becareful and listen to your doctor.

Vegasgirl-I have been having that pain too and it can't be from bending or twisting for me b/c I just had surgery yesterday. To me, it feels like the pain I get when I am running and I get a stitch in my side. Is that how it is for you? Mine comes and goes. I'm just assuming it has to do with gas or something. Hoop it goes away for you quickly.

maribelle, yes, it's sort of like a stitch in my side from running...that type of thing. But it's sort of traveled straight down to my waistband area. I'm wondering if it's a combination of not having any BMs lately, gas, and lifting that 35lbs too soon. I hope so. I'd rather it be that than something else that would require some drastic measures. But the doc seems to think it's from lifting and bending. I do remember them stressing the fact of not bending and twisting several times before I left the hospital. I'm so jacked up on Lortab right now that I think I need to go home. I almost feel nauseous. I hate being like this!!

Hi guys,

I haven't been on in a week or so, work is slammin' busy. (I'm a nurse in a NICU) But so far things are great.

I was banded on the 4th, been back for one follow up and have my second follow up and first fill next week. I am just starting regular foods and doing okay although I have a terrible fear of not chewing well enough!!! LOL. I have limited myself to 1/2 cup of food at each meal and am doing well with it. Only problem being that I am hungry like 2 1/2 hours later. Oh well, I do not let myself eat until my next scheduled meal.

Great news is that I am down 25 lbs from the date of my surgery. It's awesome!!:lol::thumbup::biggrin:

I am now banded! I got my band on 08/26 which was 3 days ahead of schedule. I was down 8 lbs from the mini goal I had set for myself for surgery day so I was excited about that! The only problem I am having is this feeling like I need to burp and can't. I have tried the gas x thin strips and maalox and nothing seems to help. I havent weighed myself yet because the last time I did (Thursday) it was showing me as having gained back that 8 lbs which I attribute to Water weight(I had to stop taking my diuretic for a week) and being swollen. I am counting down the days till I can have mushy foods :smile:

Congratulations Heather! You will be to mushy foods before you know it.