Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:crying:I am so disappointed in myself today. Today is exactly one week out of surgery, and I ate solid food. I woke up and like forgot that I am on a liquid diet. I looked into my refrigerator and found a grilled cheese. I ate half of it with about 6 oz of dr. pepper before I realized what I was doing. I feel so ashamed and embarassed that I did this, I swore to myself that I would not cheat, and one week out I am. I do not feel much discomfort, except that my stomach feels bubbly and minor discomfort in my chest. I am so scared that I potentially streched out my small stomach. Does anyone know how you are able to tell if you have streched your stomach, how does it feel?? How badly will this mistake hurt my success?

Relax, if you didn't have problems getting the food down, you are probably fine. It takes more than 1/2 a sandwich to stretch your pouch. Just go back to the diet you are supposed to be on.

Other people have done this as well. You can also find other threads regarding this issue. If you are feeling relatively OK, then I don't think you did any permanent damage. However, you are still healing. It is dangerous to eat regular foods before giving your stomach a chance to heal

Cola is not recommended for bandsters at all because the carbonation can stretch the pouch and will feel really uncomfortable if you have restriction. It is best to eliminate this from your diet completely (some people will drink it flat a little further into their journeys, but for some reason flat diet pop tastes really terrible to me).

Definitely go back on your doctors post op diet and stay on it until you are done. By allowing yourself to heal completely, you are increasing the likelihood for better band health and success in the future.

So you made a little mistake, the world hasn't ended and it is time to get back on the wagon and make the best of it. :0)

I am having a problem with solids too. I want them. I am now 18 days out from surgery and I have had hamburger meat because I was told to eat lots of Protein and puree it. By my dietician! But I eat it without puree and I wondered if I stretched my pouch. I remember that the band is not tight now. I have not had my first fill. So you may be the same. When is your first fill? I read on this website that you will not be able to eat that much when they fill your band. So forgive yourself and get back on track. Much success to you.

if you hurt yourself you would have FELT it right away!!! I was banded on 6/12/08.... I surprized the Dr.Peper did not give you bad pain! I think your fine! they onlt fill your band with 1cc in it. I know I felt like eating after the surgery. BUT some Jello and broth and I was stuffed! I know sometimes you forget..... Really be carefull about chewing your food!!!! I have to keep it in my mind all the time!!!! I was at a support group meeting one time before I got the band and I heard theis lady say she had pizza when she went home!! Now i think that is NUTZ

just re- group and at leat the bread was toasted! you know that white bread is not good on the band!!!

But I eat it without puree and I wondered if I stretched my pouch.

Right now, the concern isn't stretching the pouch, the concern is making sure that your stomach doesn't have to digest anything you're eating because the movements and contractions your stomach makes to digest food could tear your stitches, causing a number of different (very serious) problems.

Your doctor is telling you to puree your food for a good reason - for your own health, it would probably be a good idea to stick as close to that recomendation as you can.

I wish you luck!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches