Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best reading material for those pending banding?

What are some good books/magazines to read prior to being banded, and going through the whole process up to and after surgery?

I'd like to be as prepared as possible.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Laparoscopic-Adjustable-Gastric-Banding-Achieving/dp/0595311148/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214787553&sr=8-1]Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding: Achieving Permanent Weight Loss with Minimally Invasive Surgery[/ame] by Jessie H. Ahroni Ph.D. A. R. N. P.

Jessie is active on the Smartbandsters list on Yahoogroups. She was banded over 9 years ago and has been at her goal weight for over 8 years. She is also a fill nurse in the Seattle area. So obviously she knows about this firsthand. I consider her to be my mentor and I've learned an incredible amount from her.

Orea

Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding: Achieving Permanent Weight Loss with Minimally Invasive Surgery by Jessie H. Ahroni Ph.D. A. R. N. P.

Jessie is active on the Smartbandsters list on Yahoogroups. She was banded over 9 years ago and has been at her goal weight for over 8 years. She is also a fill nurse in the Seattle area. So obviously she knows about this firsthand. I consider her to be my mentor and I've learned an incredible amount from her.

Orea

How did you lose so much weight before you even had the surgery. That is impressive.

My highest weight was in April of last year. I hadn't even heard of the band then, but I got diagnosed with diabetes and that really scared me. I was one point over the edge from pre-diabetes to diabetes. I started doing Somersizing, which involves food combining and choosing good carbs when you have them. That took off about 28 pounds, but then I stalled, and gained 17 pounds back.

I started really trying again in January. learned from the smartbandsters list about eating Protein and produce and a few high Fiber carbs. This was close to what I was doing, but it gave me a better direction. I cut back on fats and oils (which I hadn't been restricting) at the advice of the dietician I saw as part of the hoop jumping I had to do to qualify. That was this past March, and I was down to 364 when I saw her.

Another thing she said that really got me thinking in the right direction was, "Look for easy ways to save 100 calories." I also joined Calorieking.com a few days later and started logging everything I ate. Wow! I was in for a shock. Some of the things I was eating were far worse than I realized. My favorite Panera sandwich had over 1000 calories, and that didn't include the chips or the lemonade! So, this gave me the info I needed to tweak some more.

I keep Yoplait light on hand, Triscuits (a serving is six and I count them out each time) and Kashi chewy granola bars. They work well for me as Snacks or part of a meal. I make pots of ground turkey chili chock full of veggies and Beans. A cup is very satisfying and has somewhere between 200 and 250 calories depending what I put into that batch. I switched to fat free mayo and high Fiber whole grain low cal bread, when I have bread. I make big chef salads with lean Proteins and maybe a little cheese. I measure the oil I dress it with, most of the time. :thumbs_up:

I have made this my top priority. I still run across foods I can't handle. Wheat thins and Domino's pizza come to mind. (Don't ask!) LOL If I can't handle them, they are out of my life. That's what I mean by top priority.

I couldn't get my surgery as nearly as quickly as I would have liked, but then I realized I could still lose 1-2 pounds a week while I waited, just as if I had a band, and my goal weight would be that much closer.

Admittedly I was also hoping my surgeon would be so impressed that he would let me skip the preop diet, but no such luck. :biggrin:

So, bottom line, I gave up most sugars and white carbs last year. I had nasty cravings for about a month, but I let myself eat things like cheese instead of caving. I try to eat lean Protein, lots of veggies, fruits with protein so I don't get a blood sugar spike and plummet. I Like the Kashi high fiber high protein cereals. I enjoy popcorn, and if Calorieking says I am low on fat for the day, I put some butter on it! I occasionally have a potato now, but it isn't often. Steamfresh veggies are a great convenience food. We eat a lot of them every week as easy side dishes. We usually use Molly McButter now instead of real butter. (sigh) Oh yes, and I an trying to find more ways to add Beans and lentils and the like to my diet. Fiber is my friend! And I don't drink liquids with calories except for my low fat milk.

I have to say that eating this way, I am feeling better than I have in many years. I don't lose steadily every week, but if I hang on through the stalls, there is a good loss week coming my way eventually.

I still eat out sometimes, but I am learning to order more wisely and to do things like ask for vegetables in place of the french fries.

It really is a mind game. Here are some of the mottos I learned at Smartbandsters that serve me well:

It's not how much you can eat, it's how little you can get by on.

Am I trading what I really want, for what I want right now?

Do I like that food enough to wear it?

If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the answer.

Hope this helps. (I'm pretty amazed at how well I am doing, myself!)

Orea

OMG- I just read your post and I have been feeling quite blue, I had surgery 01/07/08 and have lost 10lbs only to find it all back again, I eat around the band. I initially exercised then gave up and wanted the band to do all the work. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I feel awful and my clothes fit terrible, it is almost as if I have not even had surgery at all. my girlfriend has invited me on an early morning hike tomorrow and I am going NO MATTER WHAT. thank you for your post as it has given me the inspiration that I need. i copied your quote at the bottom, it is great and really hit home with me.

My highest weight was in April of last year. I hadn't even heard of the band then, but I got diagnosed with diabetes and that really scared me. I was one point over the edge from pre-diabetes to diabetes. I started doing Somersizing, which involves food combining and choosing good carbs when you have them. That took off about 28 pounds, but then I stalled, and gained 17 pounds back.

I started really trying again in January. learned from the smartbandsters list about eating Protein and produce and a few high Fiber carbs. This was close to what I was doing, but it gave me a better direction. I cut back on fats and oils (which I hadn't been restricting) at the advice of the dietician I saw as part of the hoop jumping I had to do to qualify. That was this past March, and I was down to 364 when I saw her.

Another thing she said that really got me thinking in the right direction was, "Look for easy ways to save 100 calories." I also joined Calorieking.com a few days later and started logging everything I ate. Wow! I was in for a shock. Some of the things I was eating were far worse than I realized. My favorite Panera sandwich had over 1000 calories, and that didn't include the chips or the lemonade! So, this gave me the info I needed to tweak some more.

I keep Yoplait light on hand, Triscuits (a serving is six and I count them out each time) and Kashi chewy granola bars. They work well for me as Snacks or part of a meal. I make pots of ground turkey chili chock full of veggies and Beans. A cup is very satisfying and has somewhere between 200 and 250 calories depending what I put into that batch. I switched to fat free mayo and high fiber whole grain low cal bread, when I have bread. I make big chef salads with lean Proteins and maybe a little cheese. I measure the oil I dress it with, most of the time. :wink_smile:

I have made this my top priority. I still run across foods I can't handle. Wheat thins and Domino's pizza come to mind. (Don't ask!) LOL If I can't handle them, they are out of my life. That's what I mean by top priority.

I couldn't get my surgery as nearly as quickly as I would have liked, but then I realized I could still lose 1-2 pounds a week while I waited, just as if I had a band, and my goal weight would be that much closer.

Admittedly I was also hoping my surgeon would be so impressed that he would let me skip the preop diet, but no such luck. :bored:

So, bottom line, I gave up most sugars and white carbs last year. I had nasty cravings for about a month, but I let myself eat things like cheese instead of caving. I try to eat lean Protein, lots of veggies, fruits with protein so I don't get a blood sugar spike and plummet. I Like the Kashi high fiber high protein cereals. I enjoy popcorn, and if Calorieking says I am low on fat for the day, I put some butter on it! I occasionally have a potato now, but it isn't often. Steamfresh veggies are a great convenience food. We eat a lot of them every week as easy side dishes. We usually use Molly McButter now instead of real butter. (sigh) Oh yes, and I an trying to find more ways to add Beans and lentils and the like to my diet. Fiber is my friend! And I don't drink liquids with calories except for my low fat milk.

I have to say that eating this way, I am feeling better than I have in many years. I don't lose steadily every week, but if I hang on through the stalls, there is a good loss week coming my way eventually.

I still eat out sometimes, but I am learning to order more wisely and to do things like ask for vegetables in place of the french fries.

It really is a mind game. Here are some of the mottos I learned at Smartbandsters that serve me well:

It's not how much you can eat, it's how little you can get by on.

Am I trading what I really want, for what I want right now?

Do I like that food enough to wear it?

If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the answer.

Hope this helps. (I'm pretty amazed at how well I am doing, myself!)

Orea

Orea15- Great response, very inspiring, I am going to keep it on my desktop. I also am at my highest weight- about 227, 53 years old in December, brunette with the same coloring as in your picture. Out of Westchester, New York. Am going to go scramble some eggbeaters and have my 6 triscuits with a little light cream cheese and start the week off right. Will send you a friends request if you want to reach me directly. Be well