Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should people barely over 200 lbs or below 200 get Lapband or any WLS...?

Should people barely over 200 lbs or below 200 lbs have Lapband or any other WLS.  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should people barely over 200 lbs or below 200 lbs have Lapband or any other WLS.

• Yes, they have the right to if they want it.
    • No, it's a waste of money and not worth it.
    • I don't know and I don't care.
    • No freaking way!!! Just eat a little less dangit!!!

I haven't read all the replies to this yet, but I am one that is looking to get lapband surgery w/a BMI just barely over 35. I'm 220 and 5'5" now, but a typical non-dieting weight for me is about 210-215. Every time I've gotten above 210ish, I get scared out of my mind and go on a diet. Every diet I go on, I generally commit really well and lose a good amount of weight (30-50 pounds). I just cannot keep it off and diet=hungry to me. People tell me I need to make it a 'lifestyle', but I have finally come to the conclusion that being hungry all the time is no kind of lifestyle. At the same time, I am so scared to gain more weight because I've seen all the pain and complication of morbid obesity by watching my mom deal w/it her whole entire life w/diabetes, high bp, high cholesterol, barely even being able to walk one block, etc. It sucks! (as I'm sure I don't have to tell a lot of you). And, I KNOW she tried as hard as she could.

Anyway, so she finally got lapband one year ago (she is in her 60s). I'm turning 40 next year and don't want to wait until I'm older or fatter to deal w/this so I'm looking to get it this year (if insurance will pay) or two years if I have to keep my BMI up that long to get insurance to pay. Honestly, I couldn't care less about fitting into smaller clothes or what people think about my weight. I've been fat enough for long enough that I've just accepted that part of it. BUT, I cannot accept losing my quality of life and health because of this fat. And, I cannot deal w/losing it just to regain it again. I'm so done w/that!

So, I hope that explains the perspective a bit of why someone who is barely over 200 would even want to get this surgery. And, I think anyone w/BMI 30+ should be able to get it by self-pay if necessary. I understand that insurance cannot afford to pay for anyone and everyone who might want this surgery, but I would hope that it would be made available to as many people who want it as possible. I just don't think there are a lot of people who want to do it as an 'easy way out' because if they are educated at all about it, then they would realize it is not an 'easy way out' anyway. Logic leads me to believe that most people would not go for this surgery unless they felt it was their last resort anyway.

P.S. - Forgot to add that I have chronic high bp that is not well controlled w/medication even though I am on my 3rd med for it. And, recently got diagnosed w/high cholesterol. I also have another problem related to obesity that I'd rather not mention. I feel like diabetes is right around the corner and would be the nail in my coffin. I know that seems very overdramatic of me, but I am horrified w/this all because I've already seen my mom go through it all.

Edited by adagray
needed to add P.S. info

Yeah, I just love the implication that those of us who have had WLS in large part for the cosmetic benefits are somehow morally corrupt, but a huge pair of plastic knockers is OK!

ROFLMAO!!! :confused:

BTW, all my friends w/huge plastic knockers think its a great idea for me to get lapband surgery. I'm not trying to make any point by saying that, but I just think its funny.

Logic leads me to believe that most people would not go for this surgery unless they felt it was their last resort anyway.

I read somewhere that only 1% of people who are eligible for this surgery actually get it.

The idea that people are having WLS in droves for frivolous reasons is a by-product of society's attitudes towards the obese IMO.

I read somewhere that only 1% of people who are eligible for this surgery actually get it.

The idea that people are having WLS in droves for frivolous reasons is a by-product of society's attitudes towards the obese IMO.

I can believe it. My mom's doctors have been telling her for at least 5+ years that she needed WLS, but she never wanted to do it. Honestly, she didn't really 'want' to do it when she got it done a year ago, but she had to do something about her health.

i'm 5'-4" and my beginning weight was 213. i had steadily gained weight over the past 10 years despite the numerous diets and nutritionists.

my insurance did not cover surgery for anyone... even for a morbidly obese person.

according to the BMI chart, i was obese. i was lower on the scale than many other people but i was still obese and wanted to be happier and healthier.

it's not been an easy process... with a lower BMI it's been harder for me to lose the weight. the first 40 pounds came off easy but now i'm struggling.

How gratifying to see that most of you support WLS for the less obese patient! I am case in point: 47 years old, BMI was 32 when I was accepted for surgery... 33 by the time I actually had it. Why have surgery at a 'low' BMI? The issues are exactly the same as for someone more obese: you can't lose or keep off the weight, and over time it has health and yes, quality of life consequences. 10 years ago it was 20 extra lbs, now it's 50. Anyone can see the writing on the wall! Did I want to wait until it's 75lbs or 100 lbs and my comorbidities and surgical risks were higher? Heck no! I am a medical professional and researched this extensively. Just like we now recognize pre-hypertension and earlier stages of kidney disease as times for intervention, and treat osteoporosis before the fractures occur, we need to acknowledge and respond to the health consequences of excess weight before it gets extreme. Before the joints wear out, etc. It's an ounce of prevention. I think 10 years from now the thresholds will be moved lower, to BMI 30-35 with comorbidity, or over 35 without based on emerging evidence of efficacy in these ranges. I am grateful my doctor agreed with me, and frankly considered the money I laid out for the surgery very well spent. I probably spent just as much over the preceding decade on weight watchers, diet doctor, special foods, personal trainer, diet books, and you name it- and this is what will work.

I am 5'6" and weighed 195lbs the morning of my surgery. I had the surgery because I was post-menopausal and was gaining more and more weight every year. This was a one-way street going to ever fatter-city. It made sense to me and to my surgeon that I have the band. Because my problem had to do with simple gluttony and not with a fondness for sweets the band worked well for me. I ate much less thanks to feeling full. I lost weight and met my target within 10 months. The band is a great tool for those of us who are volume eaters regardless of whether we are morbidly obese or only working our way up there.

you know the only time i feel like maybe i didnt need this is when im in the fill docs office and the morbidly obese people tell me i look great and then ask how much weight i lost...i tell them and they say you had lap band to lose 50lbs,,,morbidly obese lady goes on to tell me i can lose 50lbs by giving up soda u didnt need surgery...well i think i did i feel better i look better and if i didnt have these huge knockers i would go get me a pair tomorrow...i did have some health problems pcos,fatty liver...me just being real i did it out of shear vanity and whats wrong with that?

there is nothing wrong with doing this out of vanity IF you are aware of All potential problems and risk and think it is worth it.....

you know the only time i feel like maybe i didnt need this is when im in the fill docs office and the morbidly obese people tell me i look great and then ask how much weight i lost...i tell them and they say you had lap band to lose 50lbs,,,morbidly obese lady goes on to tell me i can lose 50lbs by giving up soda u didnt need surgery...well i think i did i feel better i look better and if i didnt have these huge knockers i would go get me a pair tomorrow...i did have some health problems pcos,fatty liver...me just being real i did it out of shear vanity and whats wrong with that?

I got mine out of vanity. I had no co morbidities so even at 295 pounds I was freakishly healthy. I just did not want to be fat anymore and nothing else was working. I personally think that most of us are motivated by vanity and the health issues are a catalyst to get things going. That being said, it is weird to me to speculate whether or not another person is 'worthy' of this surgury.

you know the only time i feel like maybe i didnt need this is when im in the fill docs office and the morbidly obese people tell me i look great and then ask how much weight i lost...

It is the first time i saw somebody write about this. I feel unusual in the fill office as well. I have never seen anybody close to my size during my appointments in the waiting room, most are still somewhere between obese and morbidly obese. I am sure there are plenty of others who have lost most of their weight, but I just don't seem to run into them during appointments.

The first thing that happens when I go to the waiting room is probably the same thing that happens in all of the WLS office waiting rooms across the world, everybody kind of looks at everybody else in a discreet fashion kind of sizing each other up and wondering if they are up for talking.

Next comes the small talk about the weather, or what have you, but I can see the questions on everyones faces (when did you have the surgery, how much have you lost, etc.). I also notice that a lot of eyes are focused on me, but I think it is because of my current size more than anything else. I am always happy to talk if someone wants to talk (probably no surprise to anyone with my lengthy posts, lol).

The part that makes me feel a little guilty during this is that many people have lost more weight than me, sometimes alot more weight than me . . . but we don't look the same.

I feel like some people feel that I had an easier road with less weight to start with . . . and you know what, I think that is absolutely true.

It might be a little hard to exercise if you are out of shape with 50-100 extra pounds, but at 200+ extra pounds it would be extremely hard. If you lose 50 pounds it looks a whole lot different (and the size changes are a whole lot different) depending on how much extra you had to begin with. Even general overall health tends to be different depending on how much weight you have to lose.

Even with this, I still feel like banding should be available for everyone who struggles on a daily basis with their weight, even if they only weigh 200 pounds.

I really wish it was easier for all of us. I have heard that medical knowledge roughly doubles every 10 years. If that is true, then I do think it is going to get easier for all of us. Perhaps we might just be able to truly beat this obesity epidemic in the future so that those of us who struggle don't struggle in vain.

i actually did write about this, not sure this thread or not.

i had a MO obese woman, who was hrs late for her fill appt when they canceled on her tell me i should give her my appt because i had no business being there getting one. my facial expression alone told her how i felt.

i really keep to myself in my dr's office, i've never chatted w/someone but you can tell the up/downs are going on. i was in on tsday getting a small unfill; my surgeon tells me i'm good advertising for his waiting room.

i really could care less who guesses why i'm there/how much i lost; i was obese - had surgery - lost weight. not much else to comment on.

i'm 5'1" (and a half) and weigh 158. my BMI is 30. i do not have other comorbidities. i have been heavy for about 15 years and yes i have tried the usual options (dieting and such). my mother was also overweight until gastric bypass in 2005. i want to lose 45 lbs.

i know i don't qualify for insurance coverage so i haven't even tried. most docs here in the states require a BMI of 35 or higher. so i am going to mexico for the surgery. most of the docs there have a BMI cut off of 30. my friend is going also. she has a BMI of 32.

i know to some people it seems vain for us to want the weightloss aide that the band provides but if we could be healthy and thin on our own we would already be there. we would also not be spending so much money if it were not so important to us to get healthy and active again.

i have had a few people on this website especially in the chat room make resentful comments in regards to my desire for a lapband. i wish those folks could view my and my friend's decision for surgery as a chance at "prevention of obesity". instead, they act like we self-absorbed light-weights are robbing a more deserving peron of a chance at good health and happiness.

i wish everyone with a BMI in the overweight or obese category had the opportunities that we do. i wish all of you a healhy weightloss journey and a happy new year!