Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded yesterday and I have lots of questions

Banded yesterday @ 12:45pm. Was home by 6pm. I'm pretty sore. The pain meds, hydrocodone, make me sleepy and weird feeling.

Here's my questions...

How long until the dry mouth goes away? I've continually drank Water.

My doctor says I can go to work on Monday...I have a desk job, but is that really going to be possible? The way I am feeling today, I am not so sure.

When should I have my first bowel movement? How can I? It seems impossible given the liquids only. And, along with the potty questions, why can I not take a good long pee...I woke up last night at least 6 times to pee.

So, during this first week of all liquids, how did you spice it up?

Did any of you feel uncomfortable sleeping on your Right side?

So, I can't swim in the pool, but I can lay by it and hopefully improve my tan, but how long until I can lay on my stomach?

Is using a straw necessary, or are small sips OK? I worry about gas with a straw.

How can I add one of those trackers y'all have?

Is it normal that I feel no hunger at all?

How often did you use pain meds? So far, I've taken mine at home twice. Before bed last-night and around 11am this morning. I'm trying to tough it out.

~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for reading and hopefully responding to all my questions. I'm so thankful for this website and forum. I'll be on here a lot! I had a very pleasant experience yesterday...the doctor was awesome, and all the after-care at my hospital was wonderful.

Whew, I did it and now I'm ready for this great adventure!

Congrats on your band. I just got mine on 6/18 so I can only help a bit with some of your questions.

I did not have dry mouth at all, so I am not sure about that one.

If I had to go to work the monday after my surgery, I probably would have not made it. Some people are able to but some are not. Just listen to your body. I am fortunate enough to be off work from another sugery until I am 4 weeks out with my band. This will give me some time to adjust.

Your first bowel movement all depends. I did not have one until 3 days after and my second one 8 days after. Even though you are on liquids you can still have one, just think babies do it all the time. I just think they are a lil more infrequent for us adults on liquids.

I really did not spice mine up too much, I am sure others did. I mainly had Water, protiens shakes, whey protien shots, OJ, Snapple white tea. I have been on liquids for 2 months because of a previous surgery in May so I am just ready for liquids to be over. I am sure others can give you a better idea of how to spice it up.

I have slept in my recliner chair, it is much easier to get up and out. I do know others have spoke of it being uncomfortable to sleep on their right sides because of the port.

Lying on your stomach, depends on when it is comfortable for you. I am 10 days out and I still have not tried to do that.

NO STRAWS, it adds air. The small sips are ok.

To add the tracker, click on anyone's tracker and it will take you to the website to add it.

I did not feel any hunger at all and for the most part I still do not. 1 ounce use to fill me up, now I am up to about 2 ounces at at time and I feel restriction.

I use to take mine 3 times a day but I broke out in hives and stopped all meds until these hives go away. I am like you, I try to tough it out a bit but I have been on hydrocone for the past two months, dont want to become an addict, LOL.

I hope that I was of some help. I am sure others will give you some great advice as well. Take care and keep us posted.

Congratulations...I was banded on Monday (23rd)...Ok I have some answers and it pertains to me. My dry mouth lasted 2 days. The 3rd day was so much better. Seriously I don't know how you can go to work on Monday. This surgery is more difficult than I thought it would be. I tried to work yesterday for 2 hours and was completely exhausted and even ran a low grade fever. I was ill. Don't do too much. I had my first bowel movement at 3 days. The first part was solid but the rest was liquid and they have been the same every since. Now am having 1 every day or every 2nd day. Not much there. I had the same problem with peeing. Remember the anesthetic shuts down everything and it took about the 3rd day before I was able to pee normally. And, that day, I got up to pee all night long. I lost much Water on that day. As far as liquids are concerned, I have been drinking lots of broth. I found the vegetable broth the best. I have drained Campbells chicken noodle and it's good. My friend, a nurse and also banded 6 months ago, said to go get wonton Soup or egg drop soup. Be sure to run it through a strain but it will be a different flavor. I am not that hungry at all...just miss the crunching. The Protein Shakes are best if put in the freezer for 15 minutes. I just keep thinking of where I am in my 2 weeks 4 days of liquids and I'm closer to the end than beginning. I felt more uncomfortable sleeping on my right side. Haven't slept on my stomach yet. I stopped my pain meds on the 3rd and have cut them in 1/2 just in case I need them. I'm not sleeping well. I know that pain meds will interfere with my bowel movements so am trying to stay off. I was told to stay away from the straws..so got rid of it with all the gas I'm having. I hope I have answered. Sounds like you are right on track...Good luck

I didn't have a BM until day 5!!! I was getting worried...but will all these liquids I think its normal. I also did not feel hungry at all for the first few days. Now I feel hungry every 3-4 hours, but as soon as I have some Soup or a Protein shake I feel fine...

Good luck!!

Is it normal to feel nausea when hungry? That is what I feel. I haven't had any pain meds since the first day and night. I am walking but today my port is really really sore. Is that normal? I am also have bowel movements but they are all watery. Is that normal. I am really tired too! Is that normal? I have alreay lost 6 lbs.

I think it is normal to feel tired. And, I did feel nauseated a few times. I think the anesthetic does that. They gave me 2 shots for nausea before I left the hospital so that helped me. Try hard not to throw up. And, I was told gum is ok...

Congrats on your band. I just got mine on 6/18 so I can only help a bit with some of your questions.

I did not have dry mouth at all, so I am not sure about that one.

If I had to go to work the monday after my surgery, I probably would have not made it. Some people are able to but some are not. Just listen to your body. I am fortunate enough to be off work from another sugery until I am 4 weeks out with my band. This will give me some time to adjust.

Your first bowel movement all depends. I did not have one until 3 days after and my second one 8 days after. Even though you are on liquids you can still have one, just think babies do it all the time. I just think they are a lil more infrequent for us adults on liquids.

I really did not spice mine up too much, I am sure others did. I mainly had Water, protiens shakes, whey protien shots, OJ, Snapple white tea. I have been on liquids for 2 months because of a previous surgery in May so I am just ready for liquids to be over. I am sure others can give you a better idea of how to spice it up.

I have slept in my recliner chair, it is much easier to get up and out. I do know others have spoke of it being uncomfortable to sleep on their right sides because of the port.

Lying on your stomach, depends on when it is comfortable for you. I am 10 days out and I still have not tried to do that.

NO STRAWS, it adds air. The small sips are ok.

To add the tracker, click on anyone's tracker and it will take you to the website to add it.

I did not feel any hunger at all and for the most part I still do not. 1 ounce use to fill me up, now I am up to about 2 ounces at at time and I feel restriction.

I use to take mine 3 times a day but I broke out in hives and stopped all meds until these hives go away. I am like you, I try to tough it out a bit but I have been on hydrocone for the past two months, dont want to become an addict, LOL.

I hope that I was of some help. I am sure others will give you some great advice as well. Take care and keep us posted.

Just was banded yesterday (27th) - very swollen, groggy from meds, sore, dry mouth. My question is around the port area is it normal to be very swollen there looks like a large goose egg sticking out - I was told you would not be able to feel or see the port. Thanks - Paula

Congratulations on your banding!...

I am half way through week two... still on Clear Liquids.. I have had 3 BM's since 18th June. Very small ones. I was losing almost 2lbs a day until two days ago. (total of 14 pounds in a week)... and since then I haven't had a BM and feel like I really need one.. quite constipated. Have appointment with my surgeon on Wednesday so will ask him about it.

I have rested on my stomach but not for too long. My port site is still terribly sore (rubbing against my bra).. and the incision on my sternum is very sore too...

I wasn't hungry at all until 8 days out. now I am sick of clear Fluid.. at one point i had 5 drinks lined up .. just had a few mouthfuls and was sick of them.. have stopped taking broth now.. I have made many different flavours over the last week.. the nicest was Chinese chicken with ginger and mushrooms.. (if anyone wants the recipe IM me!)... and of course had to leave all those lovely ingredients to my friends and colleagues whilst I ate DRANK the broth.. I do get quite nauseous in the morning after taking my liquid Vitamins. I am also still getting very exhausted after a day at work. I need 'nanna naps' everyday!..

anyway.. KEEP GOING!!.. you are doing great. I was only on my pain meds at night for about 4 nights..

Hi Kizzie...I would love the recipe...14 lbs. that is amazing. I am only @ 8 but not quit 1 week yet. My friend is a nurse and she was banded 7 months ago. She told me to put 2 tablespoons of prune juice in my Protein Shake. So far, I am not having that problem. Our dr. said to take stool softeners but I don't need that. Are you drinking your 60-80 oz. of Water throughout the day? The more the better. I'm going back to work on Monday and I'm nervous. I do have a place to rest so will definitely take advantage of that. I am ready to chew something. I can't wait for the scrambled eggs... Another week to go for me. Keep up the good work.

I didn’t have dry mouth so I have no advice about that.

I went back to normal activities on day 3 after surgery without much problem. I got tired a little faster but just tried to take it easy.

First BM was on day 2, just like another person posted… liquid in liquid out.

First week I just had a lot of cream Soups and great smoothies.< /span>

I was in my hot tub on day 5 after surgery… no problems.

No straws… causes gas.

Someone already told you about the ticker.

Sounds like you are on track with the pain meds. I stopped them all together when I returned to work.

I was banded on Wednesday the 18th. Had no gas pain at all. Did have serious dry mouth problem. Woke up the following Friday morning with white pasty stuff in my mouth (like Thrush), also my pee was a strange color. Doc said it was dehydration and to keep drinking 64 oz/day. I did and the next day was much better. Dry mouth a couple more days but wasn't bad.

For your chicken broth, I used Campbell's chicken broth but threw in a sprig or two of Thyme. That was yummy. Otherwise, stick with the very liquid stuff as long as you can. I had some egg-drop Soup the other day with no problem. Recently have been getting Soups from local restaurants, bringing them home, and liquifying in my blender. You get all the flavor but no small particles (if there are particles you need to strain and possibly add Water if too thick).

I had no problem sleeping in my right side, but I couldn't sleep on my left side until recently. I probably could sleep on my tummy now if I wanted to.

I returned to work for a couple of hours the Monday after surgery, then full days since then.

Walk as much as you can and increase the amount every day.

Take it one day at a time and enjoy not being hungry all the time. I was starving right after surgery and for that whole day. Since then (except for 1 day) I've had almost no hunger at all.

We'll all make it through these first few weeks, we just have to be patient and enjoy the new sensations.

hi there, i was banded on june 10th. i had dry mouth for as long as i took the pain medication and it did make me sleepy also. i too have a desk job and i assumed i could work the following monday. while i did try - it was not at all possible. the pain in my port incision was too severe while sitting at my desk and i couldn't concentrate at all on my work. i felt so exhausted all i could do was sleep and try to walk as much as possible. that was all i could do for days.

i wound up taking the 2nd week off. i went back to work on day 14 and was just fine tho i still get tired more easily.

i slept on my back for about 2 weeks. i can now sleep on my sides again. i heard putting a pillow under your tummy while on your side helps if you really want to get on your side before the pain is gone!

i tried to tough it out by stopping the pain medication as soon as possibe but i found i felt so awful (felt so swollen i couldn't eat a thing, and generally just felt sick) when it all wore off i had to go back on it for 2 days. the surgeon said it's there for me to use it as needed so use it - as needed! so i did and i felt a heck of a lot better. i probably used it on/off for 6 days (i didn't have to drive so it was ok for me to be home that long).

i had total diareah for almost 2 weeks - which has now gone away.

i wasn't hungry much for at least a week if not the first 2. i had a lot of swelling. and i had an egg size of swelling above my port incision also (as someone else has posted here).

hang in there - it does get better and sort of suddenly. i went from 'what on earth did i do?' to 'ah, i feel normal normal' (not eating wise but overall body-wise) just one day suddenly - maybe on day 13 or 14 for me. my body definately took a while. i had a hernia fix too and that can take a little longer sometimes from what i hear.

I was banded yesterday as well and were in the same boat with the dry mouth! It's horrible, my question is how much chicken broth can i drink and how often? My fav is the roasted garlic flavored chicken broth! I'm groggy from liqiud hydrocodone and nausea medicine. I am supposed to return to work monday as well, but i am very worried about it!!