Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My port is under my left boob!

I have been suffering with so much pain since my surgery last week.. and thought this stinging and very sore 'lump' on my chest just under my bra line was something wrong with the band or the tubing.. I went to the hospital today IT IS MY PORT AFTER ALL!.... I saw another surgeon today (mine is on vacation for a week).. and he checked the site and said it was the port.. Now, what I want to know is ' WHY THE BLOODY HELL DID THEY PUT IT RIGHT UNDER MY BOOB.. WHERE MY BRA WIRE SITS???".. I have HUGE boobs -38H- and my wire has been irritating it apparently... the surgeon today said "can you go without a bra for a few weeks?".. TYPICAL MAN!!!.. NO I CANNOT.. ' Can you get a sports bra?".. well... If I could hop I would have been hopping mad...

I will be seeing MY surgeon next week for a few words about the placement of my port.. I am so not happy with it being there.. an inch further south would have been fine.. but literally, about 1/2 inch from my wire.. darn...

I need to ask them if this pain will go away and if I will be able to wear a wired bra in the future.. if NOT they better make plans to move the bloody thing!!!... no discussion about the situation of the port at my pre-ops!!..

ANY ONE ELSE HAVE THEIR PORT IN THE SAME PLACE??.. WERE YOU TOLD WHY IT WAS PUT THERE.. I AM WONDERING IF THERE IS A SPECIFIC REASON!????..

I am so sorry about your port site, kizzie. That makes no sense at all. :tt1: Of course, what I know about it could fit in a thimble, but just under your breast at your bra line sounds ridiculous. Port site locations will be another question I will ask my doctor next week at my consultation.

Hi Kiz, how are you doing!???..

Yes! you must ask about port site locations. I wish I had known to!... I am really not happy about mine at all..and if I have to live with this for the rest of my life!!.... well.. I just can't!. I am hoping it can be moved... it really can't stay there.

Hi Kiz, how are you doing!???..

Great! Thanks for asking. Just waiting for my lap band evaluation and losing sleep thinking about it..lol

Wow, I can't imagine why he placed it there. Maybe he'll have some explanation for it. My doctor showed me at my pre-op approximately where my port would be, but he seemed to imply that it was different for different people depending on their body. He said something like "I think your port will probably be here".

I feel badly for you, my port sight was uncomfortable enough for the first month just being near my waist band, which is a lot easier to control than a bra.

Wow, that totally sux. My doc said that most kinda put it off to the side near your wait line but he feels that near the bra or waist line can cause to much pain. He placed mine mid way between my boobs and my belly button in the center so that way I can twist and turn and wear normal clothes with out discomfort.

I really hope they move it for you.

OMG I am so sorry for you!!!!! I hope they can remedy it for you some how. I was lucky enough to have seen someone post about that so I made sure to ask my surgeon about it because I like you have a large chest and there is NO WAY I can go without an underwire bra. I wonder if the irritation will go away after awhile though. I hope it does. Let us know how it goes with your surgeon!

Mine is placed about 2 inches below my left breast bra line. It was very uncomfortable at first (I'm 40DD) but it's not so bad now. It's not right under my boob but close enough that it can get uncomfortable when I'm sitting. See how you feel in another wk or two before having it corrected. I think I would rather live w/ the discomfort then go into surgery again!

My port is also under my breast and it has been 4 years since surgery, I wish I could tell you it gets better but most days it is just plain uncomfortable... sometimes it feels like between my bra and my ribs that my port is going to get ripped out.... I have large breast and could not imagine why it was placed there but my doc said it was for ease of fills and I have to say it is very easy to find the port for a fill because it sticks out of my skin.... other than ease of fills it has been a nightmare having it there and I do not recommend it being placed there for anyone... I hope your doc will move yours, mine would not.

I have had it for a week now, by the time I go and see my surgeon it will have been two weeks. My plan is to have this band for life.. it is a long term thing for me.. I cannot go through life constantly pulling or lift my bra off of my port!!.. I want to get so used to this band that I forget it is there... I am self pay and I darn well expect them to do something about it and NOT to fob me off and tell me it is there for ease of fills.. which last all of ONE YEAR!!!.. (plus the odd one after).. compare that to everyday discomfort!.. crikey..

I WISH i had known about asking where it would be. I just assumed they would put it somewhere convenient.. NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING I GUESS!!..

Thanks so much for your comments.. It will help me when I see my Dr next week. I will print them off and take them with me..

cheers everyone!

Sounds like some of these docs are putting a port where it's easy for THEM and not the patient. That's not right. YOU have to live with it every day, and if it's uncomfortable all the time, that's not quality of life, and many of you know how I feel about that!!! Kizzie, even if he moved it two inches lower near your bandaide, it would help. Mine is near my waist, but the waist bands on pants these days are all over the map. High waist, true waist, drop waist. I get dizzy just thinking about it.

My port is about an inch and a half above my belly button. And it doesnt hurt. Im so sorry about your port location. I cant imagine going through that. Perhaps you can get him to move it, if it honestly bothers you to the point youre in pain all the time.

So sorry to hear you're having trouble with the port position. I think your surgeon should really have discussed this with you before the op.

I was banded 25th June and I'm sooo glad I asked "the port" questions before the op.

I actually told my surgeon that I'd like to have a Tummy Tuck in a few years when I'm done with having kids and I wondered whether the port will cause any problems.

He said he puts the port pretty high up (just below breast bone to the left) so that for a tummy tuck the skin can be liften and they don't even go near the port. That might be the reason why a lot of other surgeons put them higher up.

So my port is around 4cm below my left boob but I'd say my bra line is 2cm above that so I'm ok.

I hope you get some help.

Kizzy...besides being uncomfortable on a daily basis...I would think that getting a fill would not be very pleasant. The skin near the breast is so sensitive...I cant imagine the Dr sticking a needle there to get to the port. I say have it MOVED!