Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My port is under my left boob!

Thanks for the advice guys. I am feeling a bit better about the port but that maybe because I have taped a wad of gauze on top of it to stop my bra from rubbing.

Maren, it sounds like yours is in a similar place to mine. Mine is about 1-2cm below my bra line. My heavy boobs aggravate it. It was interesting to hear about the Tummy Tuck though. I didn't know that.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. How I WISH I had brought up the port position. It was very WRONG of my surgeon not to tell me where it would be.

I see him on Wednesday and I am not sure how to approach it. As i am self pay it is kind of like "business done'.. so I will be arguing they move it at no expense to myself. I have no idea HOW they move the port?? and if I need Lap surgery again.

ok.. thank you again. I will be taking these comments with me.

Kizzie..

Kizzie,

Glad I could help a bit. Let us know how you go.

I've heard of plenty of people who had to have the port moved or fixed so I don't think it's a major operation. Hopefully they'll cover the costs since they should have really thought of the problems that might occur in your case.

After all your surgeon would have done this heaps of times but you've only had it done once.

Good Luck!

Maren

Thanks for your support. I have been trying to find out what is involved in moving the port. I have heard that they need to cut it out from its present location rather than opening the scar tissue from the LAP BAND surgery..

Anyway, not too much I can do until I speak with the surgeon again on Wednesday. I hope he understands my situation and doesn't try to talk me into keeping it where it is.

Thanks again for your kind words of support.. and yes you are right!!. he has done this heaps of times..and it is only my first.. I shouldn't beat my self up so much about not asking about the port location in the first place!..

Kizzie

Hey there Kizzie sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. But I see your not a happy camper. I have an incision right under my left boob too but it's not my port! I can't imagine how you feel I really hope things get better for you. me well I am having a hard time coming or rather adjusting after the surgery! Keep us updated ok. Take care.

Kizzie, I was just banded on 7/15. I wondered what ever happened with your port situation and what the surgeon said.

Hi Melody

My surgeon said that once the swelling went down the port would be more comfortable. I was apprehensive at first but after 2 weeks it did become more comfortable and I didn't feel it at all for about 10 days.

BUT......a couple of days before my 4 weeks post op date I had extreme port pain! So this past Monday I went for my 4 week check up and first fill. He tried 3 times to get the needle into the port. TO cut a LONG story short after many different scans etc I had surgery that night to reposition the port as it had flipped 180 degrees. He tells me he believes the extreme pain I was in a few days before was it flipping over.

He has an amazing success rate with all of his band patients. I am his first to have a flipped port. I am not sure if it is because I am so large chested, but I would presume that it was because my bra wire was bashing into the port area before it had time to heal. I will have to ask him if he has put the port in that region with larger chested women before. I am very large though 38HH.. so I am not sure how many women of that size a surgeon would come across daily??.. But then again he is an obesity surgeon so maybe he has.

Do you have your port high up under your boob?..

Please feel free to message me with any concerns or questions you may have.

take care and congratulations on your band!!

Kizzie

My port is about in the same position as yours. I don't wear an underwire, and my bra doesn't bother the site. However, putting a band-aid over it did help during the earlier healing days. Regardless of whether or not you get the port moved, I'd so recommend getting a non-underwire, for your comfort and to prevent a potential problem. The best of luck to you! :)

Hey there

Thanks for your recommendation. When my port was under my boob, my wire was sitting right on it, like close next door neighbours!. I had to cup my hand over it when I walked and shove my thumb under the wire. Unfortunately for me non wire bras don't lift my breasts the same way and the added weight on the port was just as uncomfortable. I also get sciatica without a wired bra...

About 10 days after my op I didn't feel port pain any longer. I believe the swelling had subsided and it wasn't pushing into my wire. SO I had a few days of relief... then, as I stated above I needed it to be repositioned as it has flipped when I went for my fill.

Good advice for others though.. and I will say that once my swelling went down my port was much more comfortable and I would have been happy with it.

best of luck

If I am not mistaken, they should be able to move the port with just consious sedation. Kind of a twilight sleep and home you go...

they put mine just under the bra line which is good...but a also found a real comfy bra at wal-mart. Its like a sport bar but it hooks in back and has good support

Kizzie:

So sorry you are so uncomfortable. I have not been banded yet, but this does give me another question to add to my list, when I go in to see my surgeon.

Hope this can be corrected.

Hi Travel Lady

I am actually doing really well now. On Monday they moved the port under LOCAL anesthesia, so I was awake throughout. I am sure they could do it under twilight if you ask.

I just have very bad port pain from my reposition on Monday. Much more painful than post op band. I know it will get better.. but annoying to be back to no showering and taking care of the incision site again..

never mind. Am back on track again. Have lost the 2 pounds I gained last week after my infection. I hope to get on a role soon.

thanks for your comments though.