Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confessions of an addict

Tomorrow is my surgery. I am excited, but scared. My surgeon only requires a 3 day liquid diet pre-op. But I have to tell you... I am hungry. Even commercials on TV for things I don't like are starting to look appetizing to me. :tt1:

I have been doing a lot of soul searching these last couple of days, and although I always knew I had a unhealthy relationship with food, I guess I never really realized to what extent.

I LOVE food. I love to eat, hungry or not. I have always thought about food... a lot. If I am not eating, I am planning my next meal. Invitations to parties or trips out with my friends are all about the food. At night, before I went to bed, I would think about what/where I was going to eat lunch the next day!!

I am very commited to getting this band, and making it work. I know this is the right thing to do for me. I just know it is going to be an uphill battle. I feel I will be fighting my own mind every day.

Is this a "normal" way to feel the day before surgery?? Has anyone else felt this way???

I had my surgery 8 days ago. I had the same feelings that you did b/4 surgery. Mr surgeon started me on soft foods yesterday. Even though I can only eat 1/4 cup each meal, I savor the flavor. I take my time and I find it very satisfying. I believe that if you strictly follow your dr.s instructions on what and how many times a day to each and how much, you will be a success.

It's all about taking good care of your band to begin with. Old habits can be broken. I decided that the way I would look at this entire process is: I will feed my band as if I were feeding my baby. I would never put crap or something that was bad for my baby in it's mouth. I am going to take care of my band no matter what it takes.

You can do this!!!!! Decide now that you will break the pattern of abusing your body. Take care and good luck

yep i have been banded for almost six months now and still fight with myself daily some days I win and some i don't but if i lose one day i don't let it affect my next day.

Oh I feel your pain. I love food too, and I always responded to every emotion by wanting to eat -- sad, depressed, angry, frustrated, lonely, happy, excited, something to Celebrate -- food was the answer. I went through the same soul searching before my surgery too. I had a friend who told me about a friend who had lap band surgery and then just about freaked out in the first week when he realized he couldn't turn to food the way he used to. He wanted to remove the band, and it took his family and friends sitting him down very firmly and telling him "you can do this". He's doing fine now, but I wondered if I'd freak out like that too.

I haven't even come close to freaking out. I'm so excited about the band, and my attitude towards food really is changing. I've had it for 6 weeks now and I get my second fill tomorrow. Even with only a little bit of restriction so far, I've done really well at making healthy choices and watching my portion sizes. I haven't had a potato chip or a between-meal snack in MONTHS. I never thought I would be able to say that. I haven't even thought about it. The band is a tool that works on your stomach, not your mind.... but for me, the psychological advantage of it has been a tool also.

You're going to do great.... good luck tomorrow!

My entire life revolves around planning meals and what I'm eating next....believe me I know how you feel. I'm glad you've made a step in the right direction to improve your health and your life. :tt1:

We can do this!

Let us know how the surgery goes...I'm nervous about mine and I'm not even approved yet...lol

:tt1:

I was where you are now. In the back of my mind I just kept thinking "this won't work for me, I won't be able to control myself, lap band or not. "

I was a grazer, I never had a chance to feel hungry because I was eating all day long. food was the first thing I thought of in the morning and I ate right up until bedtime.

I am just about four weeks post-op, no fill yet but I am doing fine. I am satisfied on less than a cup of food and I stay satisfied 3-4 hours (sometimes longer). Yes, I do feel temptation but it is much easier for me to pass on those temptations now.

I am watching my carbs too and I think that is helping a lot. My pre-op diet was mainly Protein so I was able to get the carbs out of my system and have not allowed myself any starches or sugars post-op because I know, for me, those are the foods that trigger blood sugar spikes and food cravings, I feel like if I go back to putting those carbs into my system, I will lose control. I do drink skim milk eat oatmeal cooked in milk and eat veggies and fruits but no Pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, corn or sugar.

I am moving forward to the solid food stage this Friday and I am a little nervous, it has been 6 weeks since I have had solid foods and I hope I don't go too nuts!

I'm obsessed with food as well...I think most of us probably are. I've had a bad week and it's nice to read posts like yours to truely know we're not alone.

Tomorrow is my surgery. I am excited, but scared. My surgeon only requires a 3 day liquid diet pre-op. But I have to tell you... I am hungry. Even commercials on TV for things I don't like are starting to look appetizing to me. :tt1:

I have been doing a lot of soul searching these last couple of days, and although I always knew I had a unhealthy relationship with food, I guess I never really realized to what extent.

I LOVE food. I love to eat, hungry or not. I have always thought about food... a lot. If I am not eating, I am planning my next meal. Invitations to parties or trips out with my friends are all about the food. At night, before I went to bed, I would think about what/where I was going to eat lunch the next day!!

I am very commited to getting this band, and making it work. I know this is the right thing to do for me. I just know it is going to be an uphill battle. I feel I will be fighting my own mind every day.

Is this a "normal" way to feel the day before surgery?? Has anyone else felt this way???

If I didn't know better I would think that I wrote this. I was always planning my next meal and all events revolved around food. It has been better than I could have imagined. I almost said it had been "easier" than I could have imagined but that would'nt quite be true. It hasn't really been hard but it hasn't been easy either. I still think about food and I have my favorites from time to time but I just can't eat as much as I used to. The band is a wonderful tool. It is normal to feel that way before surgery.

Good luck!