Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tummy Trouble After Banding

I was banded Wednesday, May 4th and have been on the "liquid diet" since. I know that's only 4 days but I'm having a MAJOR problem with diarrhea. Is there anyone else who has had this problem? Is that normal? Should I call the doctor? I know it sounds stupid but I can't keep ANYTHING on my stomach and I'm getting really weak and shaky from it.

I Had It. I Tried To Drink The Slim Fast They Gave Me A Little Boost.. It Will Pass, I'm Not Sure Why It Happens, Please Let Your Dr. Know If It Last More Than A Week.

Tara

I've had that problem as well as a super full tummy. Today I had chicken broth and it felt like my stomach was going to explode about an hour later so after walking a couple miles (to get rid of gas) I finally had to take pain medication to get rid of the pain. Has anyone else's tummy felt like that?

I have not vomited, just unbearable fullness. I was banded 7 days ago.

Should I call the doc? I have an appointment Tuesday.

Thanks for any input!

LisaLu

I haven't really had that much pain, other than major soreness and bruising and my stomach definitely hasn't felt full because within a half hour after eating broth, it goes right through. I don't have that problem with Jello and popsicles. I have an appointment Wednesday. Hopefully I can make it til then. How much broth are you eating at one time? Maybe you're trying too much at once. (Beats me... I'm new at this too!)

I was banded on Monday 2nd. felt good until late Tues night then the gas set in, and the dizziness and very lightheadded. I had horrible stomach problems by Wed. I had been told to not eat anything! so I didn;t when thought i was having heart attach I called a friend she said eat tums or prefer gas x. had heard on this site about gas x too so I had 4 chew pills I chewed then to dissolve and within 5 min all was well.

I started throwing up violently every hr from 4 to 9pm finally got to

er, used phen supossitories and vomiting gone.

Weh, long story-----

I read through all the sites and found some people were on mushies by now, so i liquified tomatoe Soup very very thin and sip it. it worked 2 weeks with nothing but liquids was just tooooo much. Now day 6 I am eating very liquified Soups. creamy plus 2 cups Water to make it very thin and I feel good. actually have energy to walk.

Just remember everyone is different and you have to read your body. The best news for tummy trouble is the gas x or tums w/ Calcium and water water water. Didn;t think I would make it thru but I did cried alot but got thru it.

Best of Luck and rememver to read your body. Are you hungry when you eat or just eating?

I was banded Wednesday, May 4th and have been on the "liquid diet" since. I know that's only 4 days but I'm having a MAJOR problem with diarrhea.

I'm betting your body is just a little flipped out from this huge change in how you eat. Hopefully it will adjust soon enough.

I just got baned on May 5...And I am on a full liquid diet. I have been sippin and sippin and sippin...and on Saturday two days after my procedure it felt like there was a child sitting on my chest. I called my doctor to see if Phazym or Gas X would cure me, and he said, Your drinking too much~ Can you imagin my surprize??? He suggested I lay off the liquids for a while and then sip much less. I did, and low and behold, that child is off my chest now! Occassionally I will feel it, but it passes really quick. My doctor said I was streaching the pouch created by the lap band. I am noticing that I am able to drink a little more today...I assume that the swelling is going down...internal swelling....and that is allowing me to drink more. I have heard that broth that contains sodium will cause the band to feel tighter and give you that full icky heart attack feeling... I dunno...I refused the broth in my diet all together...maybe it would be soothing, I dunno. I have some sodium free...perhaps if I dilute it? I dunno...scared of it....:)

hi

April 30 for me. Yes, I had diaree for about 3 days....liquid in liquid out.....unless it is black (not dark green...sorry....)then need to phone dr.

It is better now I am on mushies... and yes it is quick but my dr insist......

Gas still huge problem......but it gets better everyday.....just take it nice and slow....and whoever said this was such an easy thing lied.........but it gets better.....

Hope you feel better soon.....

Guest rritter18

I had the same experience after my band. I was banded on 4-27-05, I felt like I was having a heart attack it was awful! I ended up in the emergency room becasue they thought I could have a blot clot in my lung. I was clear but the gas pressure continued. I was not prepared for the chest pains. Gas Ex seems to work ok now. I totally understand what you are going through I have been there. This week has been a lot better!

WOW! I thought I had troubles.... Sounds like I've had it pretty easy so far! I was sent home with a "nausea band" to wear on my wrist to make sure I didn't vomit (and boy did it work great). I've not been nauseated at all! I wore it the night of the surgery and most of the next day and that's been it. Plus, the gas in my chest more or less subsided the second day after surgery. Now I've got it rumbling in my lower parts but I have no discomfort other than an occasional spasm or the usual soreness. I'd be a happy camper at this point if the diarrhea would stop and I could eat something...

Guest j. lynn

liquids in = liquids out.

Plus anesthesia will do that to you for a while.

jayme