Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Message For Happylass!!!

vampy

hi happylass!, just want to say im so pleased someone from near me has joined this site!, its really nice to talk to everyone about their experiences but its even better when they only live a few miles away from you!, i live in hull!!,

hope you dont mind me asking but did you get your band on the NHS??

i did, at hull royal infirmary, would love to chat to you!!

nikki

x

Hi Nikki

Your right it is good to know there's someone else close by.

Yes I got my band on the NHS my surgery was done at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield.

The op was done at the same time I had my gall bladder removed.

I feel so lucky to have been able to get the band.

Am going to enjoy talking to you more.

I've just had 3rd fill yesterday and now feel that it's going to work was getting a little dispondent as only lost 14lb since my band was fitted - the previous 35lb was lost over the previous year with the help of Orlistat.

Have you had any other medications for weight loss before surgery? Please let me know.

I probably wont be back on the board until next Wed as I normally log in when i'm at work.

Talk soon.

I've found this sight so helpful.

Bev

Both of you gals seem to be doing great! Congratulations on using your tool well! Can you please tell me if either of you have had fills? I am newly banded 2 1/2 weeks and my doc said some patients never get a fill. Thanks.

hi happylass,

hope this post hasnt been removed before you come back on wednesday,

you asked about if id been on any weight loss medication, well ive been on loads!

the first time i was 17, i was put on duromine for a few months, it stopped my appetite so much that i didnt eat for days and was making myself ill, but i lost 2 stone on it then i started passing out, it was a horrible medication, the side effects were awful, i would lie awake all night or go sorting out cupboards at 3 in the morning!

i later found out duromine was like a type of anphetamine, and worked the same way as speed does!, needless to say, duromine was soon banned, so i was put on another tablet called adifax, this never did anything, i didnt lose any weight at all, and about a year ago i discovered that that had also been banned, apparantly it use to stop peoples hearts and they died on the spot!!

and next i was on orlistat ( xenical right?)

but i couldnt stand the side affects, as in VERY loose bowel movements!, and i only lost 7l;b with them, so thats when i decided enough was enough and asked about the lap band, i was refered and 18 months later i had it done!, im so glad i did, although i lost a lot of weight at first, ive actually been putting it back on, i seriously need a fill, any way, i hope we can carry on chatting and if you want to email me my address is nikki23@nikki23.karoo.co.uk,

hi Chris S. - L.I. i havnt actually had a fill yet, my surgeon said that if im losing weight then hes not going to fill me, im disapointed because i feel i really need a fill ive got an appointment in november to see him ( they have moved the appointment back twice which im not pleased about!!), so when i go, it looks like ive got a fight on my hands!!!!

i know some patients dont need ever fills, but alot of us do, i just want to be super duper restricted so i CANT eat, even if i tryed!...good luck with your band, its a hard but exciting path, but well worth taking!

Hi Nikki

Sorry its taken so long to post a reply.

I too took orlistat before surgery but seems I had a little more success with it that you. Lost just over 3 stones but did begin to gain it back before surgery.

I had medication originally to lose weight so that I could have my gall bladder removed. When the time came for the gall bladder to come out the decision was made to put in the band to prevent me from gaining back the weight lost and hopefully lose some more.

I was disappointed at first because I lost 14 lb in the first couple of weeks and then nothing until a couple of weeks ago, in fact even a small gain.

I've just had my 3rd fill and now feel restriction. Not sure if it's a little tight cos I keep pbing ALL THE TIME but do keep liquids down. Anyway I'm gonna live with it for a couple of weeks longer to see if it loosens off cos i've lost another 12lb in the last couple of weeks.

Nikki i will drop you an email very shortly. Keep up the good work and let me know how you're getting on.

Bev :o

Chris S

I'm definitely one of those people who need fills.

First fill 8 weeks post op - no restriction whatsoever

2nd fill very soon after that one - very little restriction

3rd fill 2 weeks ago - very tight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps

Bev

Hey Nicole,

as another european (in Ireland) I thought i'd answer your question - here we usually measure our weight in stones - I don't know why - but anyway stones are a measure of weight - 14lbs = one stone! It's really weird - I have no problem telling anyone I weigh 308lbs, but feel positively ill have to say I weigh 22 stone! And to be a little more confusing, we keep the word stone singular! ie 1 stone, 2 stone! Not stoneS! Crazy I know - as far as I'm aware we do this only in Ireland and the UK - the rest of europe used grams and kilograms (which we do too mostly, just not for body weight!) So basically, I weight 308lbs or 22 stone or 140kilos!

Hope that's clear!