Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soft Stage Has Me In Knots

My doc has set me loose on "soft foods" and I'm at a loss. I've searched the forum, but have had trouble finding what I'm looking for. I'm getting mighty sick of eggs. I don't think about it until I get hungry and then it's too late to do any shopping or preparation of anything other than a small omelette. So I eat that and then forget about it until I get hungry again and then realize, "Oh yeah, all I have that I know for sure I can eat is eggs. Blech." And the pattern repeats.

Does anyone have any recipe ideas for this stage or is there a post already covering this someone can refer me to?

Thanks!

go out to the home page scroll about 1/2 way down to food and nutrition and cooking and baking for recipes. There are some really yummy ones in there. plus I look on line in different recipe sites.

Cottage cheese, refried Beans with a little melted cheese and yogurt are great for something quick when you are already very hungry and need something fast. There are definitely a lot of great recipes as well.

boiled chicken pureed, if you don't mind canned foods, you can eat tuna, chicken,salmon put them with some low fat/fat free mayon. You can baked, grill, poach fish and other seafood and mash well or chop in a blender. Pretty much you can put all most anything in a blender. My husband bought me a magic bullet and it worked great a threw some of everything in it.

A suggestion I found when I first bought ricotta cheese to see if I liked it. Which I don't if its plain but found if I add a few table spoons of your favorite spagetti sauce and heat it. its pretty good. Might wanna run the sauce through the blender first if it has any chunks in it.

What I had for dinner Friday night. I put some refried Beans, salsa, 2 pieces of chicken, and 5 tortilla chips in the food processor. When it was done I topped it with a sprinkle of cheese, sour cream and avocado. Tiny tiny portions of course. What did I can this creation? Nachos!

For lunch today I had a small potato with milk, sprinkle of cheese & natural yogurt. It was wonderful to have just that and feel full.

My paper says smashed bananas, they would be filling. Tomato or creamed spinach Soup (bleu!!!! hate them both). Fake sweetened yogurt or instant pudding (yea for pudding, finally something I like), I can have unsweetened apple sauce (easy to find). I have a list I can eat and sample menus.

Oh gosh, thanks for the great suggestions. I had eggs again today because I forgot all about posting this and didn't check back. I'm glad I remembered because I'm definitely going to try some of these suggestions tomorrow.

One question though: when can I expect to be able to eat fruit again? I *really* wanted a nectarine tonight.

Amisha, have your nectarine, just get creative. Use a blender and puree it nicely. Same taste. Not quite the texture you are used to but you do not have to be deprived.

One question though: when can I expect to be able to eat fruit again? I *really* wanted a nectarine tonight.

Im the one who said unsweetened applesauce and smashed banana, those are fruit :confused2: It also says pureed peaches or canned fruit, no juice added, the lite or splenda kind. unsweetened. Im buying a jar of unsweetened applesauce to see how I like it. PS I believe it specifies canned instead of real fruit because canned fruit is softer.

I also have all kinds of splenda sweetened fruit flavors from world market that I can add to my Protein drinks. cherry, raspberry etc and then carmel and those kind of flavors.

vegetables overcooked until soft and blended with a fork, except corn. I can have any meat that are pulverized in my blender with liquid added. Make sure you add Water to them (he calls them liquidized meats). then I can have tuna, salmon all those canned meats. then as mentioned above, sf yogurt, puddings.

Im the one who said unsweetened applesauce and smashed banana, those are fruit :confused2: It also says pureed peaches or canned fruit, no juice added, the lite or splenda kind. unsweetened. Im buying a jar of unsweetened applesauce to see how I like it. PS I believe it specifies canned instead of real fruit because canned fruit is softer.

Yeah, I should have been more specific. I meant fruit I could actually sink my teeth into, like a juicy nectarine or peach. I was afraid someone was going to say I would never be able to eat them again because they might gum up the works or something...

YIPPY SKIPPY - SOFT FOODS!! Oh sorry, today will be my first day after 28 days of liquids post-op. Soooo.. I'm Ecstatic! :lol: Needless to say, I've been working on my list for awhile. Now it's a combo of my doctors recommendations and other bandsters. It's just a guide for myself to get through the next two weeks. Good Luck to All!! :grouphug:

*CAN/DELI/GROUND*

*CHICKEN

*TURKEY

*CRAB

BAKED FISH-FLAKEY

EGGS

BEANS-REFRIED/BLACK

CREAMED Soups

CHILI-CHICKEN

POTATOES-NO SKIN

BAKED/BOILED/MASHED

SWEET POTATO

PASTA-WELL COOKED

RICE-WELL COOKED

COUSCOUS

TOFU

SOFT VEGIES-NO SKIN

COTTAGE CHEESE-LF/FF

SHREDDED CHEESE-LF/FF

HUMMUS

OATMEAL

FRESH FRUIT-NO SKIN

OR CANNED (watch sugar)

APPLESAUCE

AVACADO

SALSA

PEANUT BUTTER

PUDDING-SF

SOUR CREAM-L/FF

CREAM cheese L/FF

MAYO-L/FF

MIRACLE WHIP-L

SALAD DRESSING L/FF

I am 10 days post op and just began my mushy food today. My first meal was mashed potatos. I also suggest a beef stew, there are numerous recipes on the web, if you prefer not to cook then canned is the next best thing, but the meat carrots and potatoe mashed together was just delicious and filling too. Then of course there is baby food. They have a great variety nowadays from when my daughter was a baby.