Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how long for BCBS approval?

I have my fingers crossed - My paperwork was submitted on Friday - June 27th. I can't wait to join you guys!!

good luck, keep positive thoughts! Please keep me updated. My surgery is scheduled for August 20th I CAN'T WAIT. Maybe we will be banded around the same time! Keep your head up!:)

I have Horizon BC/BS of NJ and it took 1 week after completing all the criteria. I got mine today!!!! YES!!!

congrats!!! So when is your surgery scheduled for? Mine is for August 20th. Keep me updated!:)

I have Horizon BC/BS of NJ and it took 1 week after completing all the criteria. I got mine today!!!! YES!!!

I have BCBSNJ too but I live in FL. What did they require of you to approve you for the WLS?

Congratulations!!

Gina

good luck, keep positive thoughts! Please keep me updated. My surgery is scheduled for August 20th I CAN'T WAIT. Maybe we will be banded around the same time! Keep your head up!:thumbup:

Kgranite - I have a date - Aug 1st. I am so exited and nervous all at the same time. It only took BCBS of NC 3 days to approve. I have no pre-op diet so to speak of. I have to have a clear liquid diet on July 31 and nothing after midnight.

Did you get approved? I have the same ins and am going through the 6 month drs period. Did you have to go through this ?

I was approved in 2 business days with bcbs of mn. my surgery is on july 16th!!!!!!! :) I had to do the 6 month diet. I did it with my pcp and the nutritionist at the center. I also got a letter from my pcp and wrote my own life history letter :mellow: I wanted to be prepared since my bmi is 40 with no health problems

It seems like your process went really quick except the 6 month diet. Did you lose any during your diet? If so how much? I am 3 months through my diet and really haven't lost much. I am have been looking at it as though it is just a hoop I must jump through. My bmi is about 50. I know I have to start trying harder. I am at 314 and my PCP said he would like me to be under 300 for my surgery. I know I can do that pretty easy, I just have to focus.

I was approved in 2 business days with bcbs of mn. my surgery is on july 16th!!!!!!! :) I had to do the 6 month diet. I did it with my pcp and the nutritionist at the center. I also got a letter from my pcp and wrote my own life history letter :mellow: I wanted to be prepared since my bmi is 40 with no health problems

It seems like your process went really quick except the 6 month diet. Did you lose any during your diet? If so how much? I am 3 months through my diet and really haven't lost much. I am have been looking at it as though it is just a hoop I must jump through. My bmi is about 50. I know I have to start trying harder. I am at 314 and my PCP said he would like me to be under 300 for my surgery. I know I can do that pretty easy, I just have to focus.

Well my BMI was in the 30s my insurance would not approve me at that.. so I had to gain 15 pounds and then we messured me at 5"1 instead of 5"2. So If I lost 2 pounds I would have been disqualified since I have no health problems. So my 6 month diet was basically the first time in my life I wasnt dieting. I have heard that alot of ins wont approve u for lapband if your BMI is over 50 so make sure its like 49 before u submit. Also if I were you I would skip the 6 month diet get a letter from your PCP then you write a letter and I would even just pay the 400.00 for the lawyer to help... but I cant stand the stress of the 6 months it almost killed me... during that 6 months my dad died suddenly.. I found out I had cervical cancer.. I just had a hard 6 months :) But I will have my surgery soon and they are starving me now on this liquid diet :mellow: so I lost 4 pounds in 2 days :cool2: But I am weak and sick feeling. I dont know how I will go with no food until the 16th!!

I just recently heard that ins doesn't like to pay for lap band if BMI is over 50. Does anyone have any first hand experience with that? I have BCBS of Minnisota. I am half way through my 6 month period and my BMI is a liitle over 50. I know I can drop it under but that is just another worry for me. Hope some of you have some info for me. Thanks:confused2:

I just recently heard that ins doesn't like to pay for lap band if BMI is over 50. Does anyone have any first hand experience with that? I have BCBS of Minnisota. I am half way through my 6 month period and my BMI is a liitle over 50. I know I can drop it under but that is just another worry for me. Hope some of you have some info for me. Thanks:confused2:

My BCBS policy did not cover BMI's 50 and over. I dieted like hell before my 1st appt with the surgeon and came in at 49. I suggest you try find your benefits on-line and read the qualifications and requirements. I did not have to do the 6 month diet. I just had to provide the 5 year weight history. Not all BCBS are the same.:wink2:

All of my paperwork was submitted to BC/BS Alliance Select in Iowa on Thursday 7/17 and I was approved the very next day Friday 7/18.

Hi,

I have BCBS FEP PPO in California. The surgeon's office said I would probably have to do the 6 months supervised diet thing but when I called the insurance company they said "it is not indicated." So now I am wondering, who should I believe, the surgeon's office or the insurance company? I sure hope the ins. company is right! :thumbup:

The surgeon's office also said my out-of-pocket costs would be in the neighborhood of $4500.00. Did anyone else have this high of out of pocket costs? Next month when I have my first consultation I have to fork over 200 bucks also. Is this normal?

Thanks for any and all help!

Lisa