Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:success1:

WELL.....I got my lap band in Christmas 2005, by March of 2007, my port supposedly broke. I only had 3 fills, my last fill was so tight, I went 1 year without a fill, then all of a sudden, I was not restricted anymore. Went to a new doctor to get it filled, because Dr. Maese (Dallas,TX) was incredibly expensive, he would charge for every "overfill", (if he made it too tight, he will charge you to get some out). So I went to Dr. Jayseelan here in Dallas. Dr. Jay told me that the hose that connected to my port broke, and he showed me with the swallow xrays. Wow! I couldn't believe it, just after only 3 fills!!! What gives? So here it is, over a year later, gained my weight I lost back and I have to start all over and pay big $$$ to get it fixed!

To me, the lap band is not as hyped up to be, make sure you read the FINE PRINT and ASK QUESTIONS about port retrievals and maintenance, because this sure as he!! surprised me. So now, I have to come up with over $3K to get it fixed. (LIKE MONEY GROWS ON TREES, HUH?LOL)

If you get the choice of Lap Band or Gatric Bypass, I would really consider the bypass. Less hassles, no fills, no port maintenace, and quicker weight loss, no hair loss. Same insurance that covers your lap band will could cover your bypass. My friend and I had the surgery the same date, but she had the bypass, and her recovery and weight loss was very successful, and I am back to square one. :biggrin::lol:

No hair loss with bypass? lol.. I don't agree with that. I have a few friends who've had the bypass and they all have gained their weight back and suffer with severe problems like the dumping syndrome, hairloss and other health problems, not to mention its malabsorptive. And that's permanent. If you are going to promote a different surgery, then please promote the Sleeve, at least that one is a much healthier selection.

Sorry your band failed you. :biggrin:

I am sorry you have had a rough go of it. I can understand your frustrations. Good luck with getting it corrected and back on track again.

:success1:

WELL.....I got my lap band in Christmas 2005, by March of 2007, my port supposedly broke. I only had 3 fills, my last fill was so tight, I went 1 year without a fill, then all of a sudden, I was not restricted anymore. Went to a new doctor to get it filled, because Dr. Maese (Dallas,TX) was incredibly expensive, he would charge for every "overfill", (if he made it too tight, he will charge you to get some out). So I went to Dr. Jayseelan here in Dallas. Dr. Jay told me that the hose that connected to my port broke, and he showed me with the swallow xrays. Wow! I couldn't believe it, just after only 3 fills!!! What gives? So here it is, over a year later, gained my weight I lost back and I have to start all over and pay big $$$ to get it fixed!

To me, the lap band is not as hyped up to be, make sure you read the FINE PRINT and ASK QUESTIONS about port retrievals and maintenance, because this sure as he!! surprised me. So now, I have to come up with over $3K to get it fixed. (LIKE MONEY GROWS ON TREES, HUH?LOL)

If you get the choice of Lap Band or Gatric Bypass, I would really consider the bypass. Less hassles, no fills, no port maintenace, and quicker weight loss, no hair loss. Same insurance that covers your lap band will could cover your bypass. My friend and I had the surgery the same date, but she had the bypass, and her recovery and weight loss was very successful, and I am back to square one. :biggrin::lol:

I hate to be negative, but if you truly changed your eating habits while having the band, I would hope that even without the band you would continue with your new eating habits. I work hard with my band, but I don't expect the band to do the work for me. Even if the band failed me tomorrow, I would do my best to maintain my new diet and exercise routine. I realize I had to have the band to change my ways, but it isn't a complete panacea. With all surgeries, there are risks. Clearly you've had a bad experience...and while I understand your frustration.....isn't it time to look a little deeper inside to figure out why you're overweight? If I've learned anything about myself with the band, it's how to take control of myself, my eating, and my life......those changes, while not expressly BECAUSE of the band, were changes brought about by having the band. The GB operation has many side effects....what if you had lifelong issues with dumping and absorption? Would that change things?? Clearly your first surgeon thought you were a good candidate for Lap-Band, not GB. You made the choice to have elective surgery. Time to accept some responsibility here....

Oh yea, of course we all have to change our eating habbits. I am not trying not take responsiblity. Let's face it, 90% of people here who had the lapband done was because of bad eating habbits, that was the purpose behind it. Right?

I have Hypothyriodism, so losing weight is hard, and I do work out and eat healthy, and when I had my lapband done, I had only lost 45 pounds, because of it. I know it's hard, so it wasn't because I was eating burgers, tacos and pizza. I eat healthy. I went from a size 24 to an 18, and my goal was to be a 14. I like being fit, and I know what looks good on me. Not everyone wants to be a size 6. I just want to be comfortable. So my eating habbits did change, but not to the extreme. So please note that my weight gain wasn't because of poor eating habbits, it just what happens when your metabolism is out of whack and trying to get it back into track. If it was just for my poor eating habbits, then I think I would have lost more than just 45 pounds in 1 year, don't you think?

Hun, i hope you don't think I'm trying to be mean because i'm not but I don't think you did enough homework on bypass, you may just be going by what your friends telling you. I am a stylest and an instructor and i have many clients with Hair loss after bypass. maybe your down right now and when you get everything taken care of you'll feel differant I hope so, I'll be praying for you. and remember if you did it once you can do it again. That's the good thing about the band if there is a problem you can take it out, you can't take out a bypass. lots of luck in your journey.

Oh yea, of course we all have to change our eating habbits. I am not trying not take responsiblity. Let's face it, 90% of people here who had the lapband done was because of bad eating habbits, that was the purpose behind it. Right?

I have Hypothyriodism, so losing weight is hard, and I do work out and eat healthy, and when I had my lapband done, I had only lost 45 pounds, because of it. I know it's hard, so it wasn't because I was eating burgers, tacos and pizza. I eat healthy. I went from a size 24 to an 18, and my goal was to be a 14. I like being fit, and I know what looks good on me. Not everyone wants to be a size 6. I just want to be comfortable. So my eating habbits did change, but not to the extreme. So please note that my weight gain wasn't because of poor eating habbits, it just what happens when your metabolism is out of whack and trying to get it back into track. If it was just for my poor eating habbits, then I think I would have lost more than just 45 pounds in 1 year, don't you think?

If you've ever seen any of my posts, you'd know that you and I have a lot in common. I, too, have hypothyroidism. I haven't lost weight fast. I've worked at every pound. I had surgery in December and have lost only about 50 pounds now. It hasn't been easy. I'm only down to a loose 18/tight 16 now. I don't aspire to be a 6. I won't be. I was a powerlifter and athlete in college. I wasn't small then, and I don't expect to be in a year. I walk and run over 3.5 to 4 miles a day in addition to working out in a gym 5-6 days a week. That wasn't my point in my response.

My concern is that your "failure" headline and posting are very telling. Many of US will never lose weight until we accept responsibility for the foods we eat and the lifestyles we lead. I was more concerned that "failure" describes not the band, but your experience with the band. The band didn't fail, it malfunctioned. You failed at losing weight. People use this website for support. I recognize that people should have a full picture of the possible issues with the band, but I also think it's time we all start accepting responsibility in our part in being fat, plain and simple. Until we accept what WE control in this fight, we'll never win. Your weight gain--according to you--wasn't your fault. I disagree. Many people with your health issues lose weight and live healthy lives, even without the Lap-Band. You need to find a way that enables you to lose weight, through diet and exercise. Clearly the banding wasn't your way....:biggrin:

I'm so sorry about your experience with the gastric band. For me, getting the LapBand was the best decision I have ever made. I'm no longer on diabetes medicine and I feel great. Good luck to you in the future.

I am sorry that you have had such a bad time with the band.

I have no regrets about getting the band. I no longer take diabetic medicine or using a cpap machine.

The process has not been easy but the results have been worth wile.

My mother had the gastric bypass last July and she is still suffering from Hair loss, and also some other medical problems. Sorry your lap band procedure didn't work for you. Actually I am new to this sight and am looking for stories just like yours, any pros and negatives to make my final decision as to whether or not I want to proceed with having the procedure done. Good luck to you. Joelle

Guest Leslie2Lose

I'm so sorry you've had problems/complications. I had to have revision surgery as well and my insurance covered my surgery. If you are covered under insurance, will they cover it? It is not anything you have caused - just faulty equipment. I wish you the best luck and I'm sorry this hasn't worked out for you. I love my band and have had problems with it, but I wouldn't change a thing.

So please note that my weight gain wasn't because of poor eating habbits, it just what happens when your metabolism is out of whack and trying to get it back into track. If it was just for my poor eating habbits, then I think I would have lost more than just 45 pounds in 1 year, don't you think?

I don't completely agree with you blaming your metabolism and thyroid on poor weight loss. As long as you are taking synthroid (or whatever meds you are on) it shouldn't be an issue. I am hypo too and yes it is hard to lose weight, but it is hard for anyone that is obese to lose. When my thyroid level is correct I have no problem losing. For years I blamed my thyroid on being heavy. I'd tell myself I had a "hormone problem" and continue to stuff my face. I finally stopped using that excuse and admitted that my eating is what was my problem. If you weren't losing you may want to have your level checked. I'm not a doctor, but I do know when my head is the problem and not my metabolism. I wish you the best.

Best of luck to you. I hope you are able to find a way to fix your band and make this work.

For the record...(for those researching)...i love my band and have had no complications, no problems, no malfuntions, no regrets, none at all!!!

OK, after reading this thread noticing a few of you have hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed with HT and take synthroid 300 mcg 6 days a week. I am always tired and force myself to exercise everyday. my question is, is there a thread specifically for HT. maybe one should get started. I don't want to blame my HT for being fat, but even my Doc says its going to be a tough road.

Me Too! Me Too! Though it's not a good thing for any of us, I am glad to see I am not the only one who falls bak inoto old eating habits. I had my band almost completly unfilled for almost 2 months due to complications & a slip slippage, & gradualy found I could eat more & more. If not for the fact that I exercise at least 1-2 hours daily, I am sure I would have put on more than the 10 I did! I have since had a small, 1cc fill & feel some restriction, but am having to fight off those old found habits again! Plus, with the work outs I have been doing, my scale weight seems to have slowed, the whole muscle weighs more than fat, but it still is discouraging! Let's all "band" together & get back on track!

Ilene

weight.png

Ilene,

It sounds as if you're headed back in the right direction. I hope you've been able to get your issues sorted out to allow you to have the band aid you in your weightloss. I'm impressed that you only gained 10 pounds back. When I did Weight Watchers the last time, I allowed myself to eat anything I wanted for an entire week and a half between Christmas and New Year's....and I gained 12 pounds in less than 2 weeks! Good news was it was easy to get it right back off. Keep up the workouts, but be sure you're doing what is best for your body. My nutritionist actually told me to cut back on the working out unless I intended to maintain that pace for the rest of my life. Keep in mind we're making lifestyle changes, not temporary changes.....that's where our darling friend made her mistake. Clearly she relied too much on the band to do the work for her. I wish you the best. I haven't had the problems you've had with your band, but certainly hope I can exercise the self control and restraint you've had if I do!! :confused_smile: Congrats.